RPGWatch Feature - Final Fantasy VI - Impressions

FF6 disappointed me greatly tbh. It was ok, I finished it, but I much prefer the combat system used in other FF games (5,7,10 & 11), and I got utterly sick of playing different party members.

Still a good game, but it wouldn't feature in my FF top 5.

- Another crazy person.

I agree… you're a crazy person. ;)

Seriously though, when did you play it? Keep in mind that FFVI is 20 years old. Like any game, it's not going to have the same impact as it did back then. I think it aged far better than any of the PS1 or PS2 FF games though. Just my opinion.

I agree… you're a crazy person. ;)

Seriously though, when did you play it? Keep in mind that FFVI is 20 years old. Like any game, it's not going to have the same impact as it did back then. I think it aged far better than any of the PS1 or PS2 FF games though. Just my opinion.

Lol 15 years ago! lol. Seriously, I'd just finished 4 & 5 and was super excited for 6, and it just felt flat. I might actually give it another go, but it totally underwhelmed me and just felt odd. I really didn't like the combat, characters or general setting in this one. Whereas 4, 5 & 7 I frickin loved.

Lol 15 years ago! lol. Seriously, I'd just finished 4 & 5 and was super excited for 6, and it just felt flat. I might actually give it another go, but it totally underwhelmed me and just felt odd. I really didn't like the combat, characters or general setting in this one. Whereas 4, 5 & 7 I frickin loved.

Weird that you would like 4&5 but not like 6 for those reasons.

Well, FFVI probably has the worst combat system of the FF games, so if you played it for that reason, I understand.

But none of the FF games except possibly V and FF Tactics has any kind of interesting combat system. The only reason to play them are for the story / setting / other gameplay stuffs and MUSIC all of which are usually great.

Er.. that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. The combat in FFVI is the exact same system that was used in IV & V.

Er.. that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. The combat in FFVI is the exact same system that was used in IV & V.

The job system in FF V, is very very different from the very simple system of VI and IV, you must be remembering that one wrongly..

FFIV is almost the same, but a few more a little bit challenging fights, so I consider it slightly better. But, yes FFIV is close to FFVI.

The job system in FF V, is very very different from the very simple system of VI and IV, you must be remembering that one wrongly..

FFIV is almost the same, but a few more a little bit challenging fights, so I consider it slightly better. But, yes FFIV is close to FFVI.

No, I'm talking about the battle system. It uses the exact same mechanics. You're talking about something else entirely.

No, I'm talking about the battle system. It uses the exact same mechanics. You're talking about something else entirely.

You mean that it is the same ATB and menu system ? I guess your definition is more narrow than mine in that case. Then a lot of J-rpgs would have the same battle system.

But fair enough, the options in battles, tactics, menu choices available to each character and development of your characters are much more varied and complex in FF V compared to FFIV or FFVI.

You mean that it is the same ATB and menu system ? I guess your definition is more narrow than mine in that case. Then a lot of J-rpgs would have the same battle system.

But fair enough, the options in battles, tactics, menu choices available to each character and development of your characters are much more varied and complex in FF V compared to FFIV or FFVI.

My definition is simply more accurate since what you're talking about isn't the battle system but rather just options within it. And yes, a lot of JRPGs do have very similar battle systems. That's just a fact.

I wouldn't say FF V is more "complex", but you can look at it that way if you want.

Yeah, the mechanics might be similar, but the job system was way more interesting than FF6's to me.

FF7 combat is also miles better than 6's IMO. 7's dramatic camera angles, stunning music, spectacular summons and materia system added a lot for me.

Don't get me wrong, 6 was ok and I'm gunna play it through again one day to see if that helps. But on the original play through it let me down after 4 & 5, and then 7 just blew me away.

Back
Top Bottom