Anthem - Official Gameplay Reveal

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Farflame spotted the official gameplay reveal video for Bioware's new game Anthem:

Anthem Official Gameplay Reveal

In Anthem™, a new shared-world action-RPG from EA's BioWare studio, team up with friends as Freelancers—the bold few with the courage to leave civilization behind and explore a landscape of primeval beauty.
PCGamesN summed up all known info about Anthem.

More information.

Anthem is a “live service” game akin to the likes of Destiny 2 and The Division. "This game is built around a live service, and through our creative process, we’ve decided to add more to the disruptive new social designs for our players," said EA CEO Andrew Wilson during a recent investor's call. Ignore all the marketing speak, and what that means is Anthem will be a persistent online game.
As most of you know by now I despise any type of online only games. Now I may try a few if I feel like it, but I prefer playing single-player games, and I'm not changing.

So after reading that I will pass on this game.:p

Inspired by elex ?

Looks like it could be fun.

Elex is not MMO, so no. It wasn't an ispiration for this.

Drew Karpyshyn (ME 1 & 2 lead writer) is apparently working on this…

Yes, question is how much opportunity will he have to shine with his writing in this "fly them up, shoot them up" open world with light RPG elements, co-op and MMO-like quests?

I wonder when will another big publisher come up with mega cool epic completely new game… inspired by Destiny. :roll:

It feels like... a blend of Guild Wars 2 and Tabula Rasa. I found both games to be fun for a month and then the shallow experience just wound up boring me. Nevertheless, it looks intriguing; I just hope there's a modicum of gameplay depth and exploration behind the shiny veneer.

I'll go over positives first, just because I hate being negative on so many games. Exploration looks well done with nice depth. That they did underwater environments is great. The game looks very pretty.

Ok, now what I disliked. Online only, as already commented, that is an immediate strike against it. Now my personal beef is: not another game where you get into an advanced technology-like suit?! I really am starting to hate this trend. Oh, and complete with dumb jetpacks on the back too, I see. *Groan* If I don't see another jetpack featured in a game within a few months, it will be too soon. Going back to the suit - no, just no. I don't want to be like a superhero and fly around and be Superman, and be a Transformer on yet another generic alien planet.

That said, I think the game will probably do very well and become very popular. It is a combo of a Star Wars clone and Transformers, what teenage boy will possibly be able to resist that? :biggrin:

Arrival DLC writer?
No wonder.

Drew Karpyshyn started as the lead writer on ME2 but was replaced by Mac Walters about half-way the game production when Drew was moved to SWTOR.

Yeah, seems like Bioware's version of Destiny, depending on the degree of customisation and interactivity I might try this. Their experience of creating an interactive MMO KOTOR means it could be ok. I won't be buying this day1, like I would Mass Effect or Dragon Age but I will wait for reviews. I guess. I am a lemming.

Pretty graphics but not my style at all so this is a pass - luckily got plenty of other good games out now and coming out to select from.

Seems like a good fun to me, I just hope that co-op part wont be mandatory all the time. I like to play with my friends but I like to play alone sometimes as well.

Always trust developers who refer to their own work as incredible and amazing :)

It will be YUGE!!!!!

I don't want to be crass… or naive.

It is EA/BW, so its possible there might be differences between, (i) what they say they want to do, and (ii) what they actually want to do. Then there's the question of (iii) what they actually are capable of doing. The latter might or might not be the same as (i), and/or (ii).

At this point it's unclear whether Anthem is to be on-line only, though on-line only would seem a reasonable guess (to support co-op). AFAIK no one has yet achieved an on-line sp game equivalent to the best of the quality off-line sp rpgs. Doesn't mean it's not possible, but chances that it will happen aren't necessarily real real high, either.

Apparently there's a great team working on this but actual details are likely well over a year away. Guess I'll wait to see what actually happens.

__

Back
Top Bottom