Beyond Good & Evil 2 - Announced at E3

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
IGN: Beyond Good and Evil 2 will have more RPG elements than its predecessor:

E3 2017: Beyond Good and Evil 2 Is a Massively Ambitious RPG

Dynamic character storytelling on an interplanetary scale.

I can’t recall how many times during my meeting with the development team of Beyond Good & Evil 2 I thought to myself, “This is impossible.” While the trailer shown at Ubisoft’s E3 conference was more of a development announcement, our post-show meeting was where the concept and true potential of BG&E2 really came into focus. The goal is a seamless multi-planet world populated by dynamically-generated characters, with unique stories being told and optional social interaction throughout. I may have initially scoffed at these ambitious ideas, but by the end of our meeting I was enthralled, not to mention giggling like a child out of sheer amazement at the fact that this could really work.

[...]
More information.

The main poster showing the protagonists ? looks much darker and aggressive than the original game. This is to me just another proof that people believe that "colourful & non-aggressive = childish). I currently call this the "heavy metale age of gaming" what we currently have, especiallyon the PC platform. Not counting Indies, and not some console titles, either.

Hi Alrik
Your favorite theme returns after a long time - trend of dark games that destroy colorfull games. :)

Do you mean this poster?
beyond-good-and-evil-2-teaser.jpg

Well, it has more realistic art style, but I wouldnt call it aggresive or really dark.

-----
The game may have more RPG elements, but I didnt notice anything convincing yet. They talk mostly about seamless open world, pirate crew that you can hire for your space ship, less important generated NPCs that should make each game different etc. And there will be co-op.

The most important feature is mentioned at the end of this video. Joxer will be crazy about it (no bears mentioned). :)

Last edited:
If this has singleplayer then it should be at last closing in on or on-par with Mass Effect 1-3. The creativity that went into in the E3 trailer is amazing!!

I agree the trailer was awesome and fun. :)

Gee everyone is hopping onto RPG elements, it became a huge selling point.

I don't know much about the rpg elements, I was just commenting the game's trailer from the point of presentation, art-style and storytelling etc. I really only expect a fun action-adventure game set in a colourfull science fiction universe. If there are going to be some rpg elements, well thats all good, but I don't expect it to be a rpg really. :)

That's cool, I wasn't addressing anyone in particular.

It sounds like the focus is going to be on MP. If that's the case i will pass.

They should have just created a new IP or market this one as a new game set in the world of BGE. It's so unlike the first one that it might end up like Dead Space where they took an old IP and changed it so much they lost the fans of that one and failed to get enough new fans, effectively killing the title.

Hi Alrik
Your favorite theme returns after a long time - trend of dark games that destroy colorfull games. :)

Yeah. :D

Do you mean this poster?

No, the one with that ape, at the top of that linked IGN article.

The main poster showing the protagonists ? looks much darker and aggressive than the original game. This is to me just another proof that people believe that "colourful & non-aggressive = childish). I currently call this the "heavy metale age of gaming" what we currently have, especiallyon the PC platform. Not counting Indies, and not some console titles, either.

And why do you not do that, the counting? It does not suit your demonstration?
The first game was about Human trafficking and you "investigate" it as a player. Was not non-agressive at all. It was full action and quite fun.

It is just something you are more sensitive and so you notice it more. For myself, I would call it more the age of Back-to-80-graphics-a-time-we-thought-it-was-not-cute-but-just-plain-ugly Indy age.

I'm not counting Indies, because they - as it is my perception - do have often more light-hearted games compared to that from the "big publishers". When I look at GOG or into Steam to see what's there, I often find games an big publisher would never let out. Like EA silenced Unravel to death. Aquaria, for example. Stardew Valley, for example.
Well, of course, even the Indiies have exceptions. Like Limbo is a very dark game, for example.

Those big publishers do games for money essentially and they market those games toward a population because of this. So probably a lot of "I want to be the big bad ass Heroe" or "Scare me please" or "Where is the Zombie, Behind me?"
But, even them can do colors aplenty when they target other populations like The Sims, Zelda or the likes.
That is why I asked about perception, Big Companies will do the games they think would sell the most to their priority public.
Indies would try other paths without forcefully try to address a public.
Don't get me wrong, lot of indies copy other successful themes or mechanisms and that is marketing too, even if a primitive one.

Yes, but eating the same meal every day makes one want to have some variety of taste at one point.
And I just don't se much variety. All I see is - cynical speaking - the herd galloping into one direction, and that is what i call "the heavy metal age of gaming" (a variant of what i had called "the dark & gritty age of games" earlier.

One just needs to look at the early LucasArts games; a game like DOTT won't get released by any of the bigger firms by now. Or just look at the King's Quest series. Who would want to play that nowadays ? And, even worse, why aren't people given the mere chance to play that kind of game nowadays ? All I see is the same, everywhere ... Yes, I admit that I'm pessimistic about the current state of gaming. I guess that I'm in line with all of these "grumpy old gamers" right now ... ;)

One last example, this time from RL : One of Cologne's main shopping streets lost more and more of its speciality stores over the last years. Store chains moved in. Everything looks much the same, everybody says, chains are dominating everything too much now, say a lot of people even in Cologne right now.
If they want to find variety and speciality stores, then they have to move into the lesser known shopping streets, those apart from the main ones.
This is similar to big publishers vs. Indies. If one is looking for variety, then one has to look out for Independents.

Back
Top Bottom