Skyrim Level Scaling in Skyrim, seems there will be hope.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
I also read that you can get married and if you have a house, your wife will move in :lol:

I find the inclusion of this feature rather strange. I never knew that the companions mods for Oblivion/Morrowind were that popular. Unless Todd just like the Fable games.

I'm not against character customization and tattoos its just that this subject takes up a disproportionate amount of forum-space relative to its overall importance to the game as a whole. People are obsessed about tattoos on the Skyrim forum.

That's just the way that these fan forums are. If you look at e.g. the Risen 2 forums (the German ones) you will find a lot of discussions on "peripheral" stuff as well. Like recently there was a big turbulence because of a missing potion drinking animation (for the hero) etc. - What may seem a little strange or obsessive to us is business as usual for the hardcore folks.

This could be good. Lime Moriendor I'm fairly tired of the old bee-lining for item X...

And anything will be better than the retarded scaling of actual items (I want my sword of blajraj to be the same no matter what level I am when I find it) of Oblivion.

I thought they actually did a pretty good job in Morrowind, but it's been all downhill from there.

Didnt they pretty much revert to Morrowind's system with FO3. Loot tables (?) for containers and enemies plus hand-placed "artefacts". That part of the game worked fine. FO3 is the reason that I havent given up on Bethsoft altogether after the Oblivion disaster.

Didnt they pretty much revert to Morrowind's system with FO3. Loot tables (?) for containers and enemies plus hand-placed "artefacts". That part of the game worked fine. FO3 is the reason that I havent given up on Bethsoft altogether after the Oblivion disaster.

It did seem that way, and I found it to be a much better system.

I wish I could have a disaster that netted me millions and millions of dollars.

Yep. It was a move back in the right direction. I still prefer the Morrowind system over FO3 for it had a higher percentage of hand placed items.

Just throwing it out there as I'm bored at work:

Imagine a system where the "Awesome Sword of ABC" is found at the end of a certain tomb on one installation, and in the lair of a dragon in another? And in a locked chest in a wizard's tower in another? In other words, they wouldn't need to alter each place and make dozens of unique areas, but truly excellent items are placed randomly at the end of difficult quests or areas. So you can't play through with a guide or a second time and make a beeline for a specific item. You'll get something good, but you're not guaranteed a specific item. Would mix it up a bit.

I'd still want true artifacts, one of a kind items hand placed and tied to quests.

Just throwing it out there as I'm bored at work:

Imagine a system where the "Awesome Sword of ABC" is found at the end of a certain tomb on one installation, and in the lair of a dragon in another? And in a locked chest in a wizard's tower in another? In other words, they wouldn't need to alter each place and make dozens of unique areas, but truly excellent items are placed randomly at the end of difficult quests or areas. So you can't play through with a guide or a second time and make a beeline for a specific item. You'll get something good, but you're not guaranteed a specific item. Would mix it up a bit.
Yeah, I think this kind of system certainly has potential.
Item Randomiser mod for Baldur´s Gate games does pretty much exactly this (as I described in this post) and I think it works really well.

Yeah, I think this kind of system certainly has potential.
Item Randomiser mod for Baldur´s Gate games does pretty much exactly this (as I described in this post) and I think it works really well.

Cool. This type of thing can easily go too far. I recently started Icewind Dale 2, and installed the Ease of Use mod. Turns out, among the many options it has is one where it randomizes items of similar value. Problem is, one of those items was a quest item, and bugged my game. Luckily I was able to uninstall it, the reinstall, but just not that portion. And my save games are fine, though a few of the items I had found were now different.

Luckily I found this out towards the very beginning of the game (I needed to bring a wounded guy a special drink from the tavern... which the mod had changed into something else, thereby making it impossible to finish the quest)

OK, sorry for the derail.

Instead of creating a new thread for this (even though it is slightly off topic):
Skyrim won't be dumbed down, they will just remove a lot of options
Alright, that is not exactly what they say, but they will slim down the skill list (even more from Oblivion, which in my opinion was rather slim on skills to begin with, compared to earlier entries in the series), "to make things less confusing". I don't think this is a good idea. What they instead should do if they are worrying about people not understanding what each skill does, and what will suit their playstyle is to introduce them better, give a lengthier (optional) tutorial, which explains the ins and outs of the game. Slimming down the skill list too much also removes a lot of replay value from the game.

Skyrim design director Todd Howard said that the streamlining of some of the game's systems compared to previous Elder Scrolls games is not about increasing accessibility for new players, but removing confusion for everyone.

Really, Todd? So everyone was confused by the number of skills in Oblivion? Somehow I doubt that's the case.

I thought the 3 were athletics, acrobatics and mysticism. The first two skills were silly anyway. Everyone could raise them just by running and jumping. If you chose both skills as majors, then you'd be high level but may not have decent combat skills. I won't miss either of those. The mysticism school was just absorbed by the other schools, if what I read earlier is true. Time will tell.

Hopefully, the addition of perks will offset the subtraction of skills and attributes. I think some influence from Fallout is a good thing for TES. I also have hope that we'll see a little more outdoor combat in Skyrim. Oblivion was largely safe outdoors, as long as you didn't get too far from the roads. That wouldn't make sense now, with the Empire basically in ruins. Hopefully the bandits will be outside and making travel a misery, instead of hiding in abandoned forts. Something along the lines of the Varns in 2W2 could be pretty fun. Anarchy could create a lot of havok.

Skyrim design director Todd Howard said that the streamlining of some of the game's systems compared to previous Elder Scrolls games is not about increasing accessibility for new players, but removing confusion for everyone.

It's one thing to say "Yeah, we're taking out Acrobatics because we didn't like making people bunny hop everywhere to increase their skill level." Fine, that's at least honest and shows some level of respect for their fans. Statements like this, though, just make it seem like they think we're all idiots, and that by telling us how confused we all were we'll just decide that we must have been, and how lucky we all are that they're looking out for us and making sure we don't drool all down our shirts.

I wish more of the interviewers would call them out on things like this. Of course, these days that would probably just get such "troublemakers" blacklisted from the industry.

For crap sakes. When they said that they're aiming to go back in the direction of Morrowind again, I thought: "Oh good! Finally a sequel that won't be dumbed down from the previous game."

Yeah right. What a sucker I am …as if… every game in the series since Daggerfall saw less and less skills. I guess by the time we get to TES 6, there will only be a single class with a single skill left. :p

On the other hand, the perks system in Fallout isn't actually too bad at all, I wouldn't complain about such a system - but I like to see more skills and talents, not less of them.

I also hoped it might in part mean that they'd be bringing back a bit of that weirdness that made Morrowind so great, and that made Shivering Isles an interesting and memorable expansion. …but I'm not going to hold my breath here.. :( .. I mean, how weird can a world filled with Nords really get? :(

Anyone know if they are implementing the horrible, horrible "soul trap/soul gem" magic item recharge system?

I think that was my most hated part of Oblivion.

I've not heard, but the good news is that someone will mod in a better version pretty quickly. I think I found a "cheaper item recharging" mod within the first few days of Oblivion coming out. The "Morrowind-style recharging" mod took a bit longer, but it did turn up. Mods saved that game.

Back
Top Bottom