The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance Tactics - Announced

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
At E3 The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance Tactics has been announced. It is supposed to be a strategy-RPG.

En Masse Entertainment Reveals New Strategy RPG, The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance Tactics
Developed by BonusXP, Based on the Highly Anticipated Upcoming Series from Netflix

SEATTLE - June 11, 2019 - En Masse Entertainment, a player-focused publisher dedicated to delivering great games and service, announced it will publish The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance Tactics, a new multiplatform strategy RPG based on the forthcoming series from Netflix. Launching in 2019 and globally licensed in partnership with Netflix, the game will offer fans the opportunity to step into the fantasy world of Thra by playing through the events of the series and beyond, experiencing new characters, story elements and environments. Currently under development at BonusXP and targeting a 2019 release, The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance Tactics will release for Nintendo SwitchTM, the PlayStation(R)4 entertainment system, Xbox One family of devices including the Xbox One X, and PC/Mac.

In The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance Tactics, players will return to Thra to lead the heroic Gelfling as they seek to restore light to the world and fulfill the prophecy. Over the course of 80 unique, turn-based campaign battles, players will recruit new allies and customize their forces, opposed at every step by the malevolent Skeksis.

"The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance Tactics will allow fans to delve further into the history and world of Thra as they conduct multi-layered and evolving tactical battles on the side of the Gelfling against the Skeksis," said Stefan Ramirez, Director of Live Services at En Masse Entertainment. "Players will experience living, unpredictable environments that encompasses not only the events and characters of the Netflix series, but new game-exclusive characters, stories, and challenges."

The expanded world of Thra in the game contains diverse territories, each offering the ability to learn more about the Gelfling clans and their histories. In turn-based combat, players lead the Gelfling resistance by using guile, planning, and cunning. Units can be customized for specific fights with gear, upgradeable abilities, and an expansive job system. Dynamic events on the battlefield, which can create opportunities or put the Gelflings at a disadvantage, may necessitate rapid changes in strategy to keep players on their toes. Thus, battles are highly replayable, and after completing the game players can also challenge a New Game+ mode with more difficult versions of the battles.

Fans will finally be able to re-visit the fantasy world of Thra when The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance debuts on Netflix on August 30, 2019. The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance Tactics will arrive on game platforms later in 2019. More game details will be revealed in the coming months.

Published by En Masse Entertainment and developed by BonusXP, The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance Tactics will release for Nintendo SwitchTM, PS4TM, Xbox One, and PC/Mac. The title has not yet been rated by the ESRB.
We also have a fact sheet with the following:

Over the course of 80 unique turn-based campaign battles taking place across the world of Thra, players will recruit new allies and customize their forces by assigning them jobs and outfitting them with new equipment.

Continue the Story in an Expanded World of Thra - Delve deeper into the legend of The Dark Crystal, learning more about the Gelfling clans and their histories across more than 5 diverse, modular territories. Choose from over 15 character jobs and play through reimagined and brand-new battles against the malicious Skeksis, and help lead the proud Gelfling to victory.

Gelfling Tactics - Devise unique ways for the outmatched Gelfling to fulfill their prophecy in multi-layered, turn-based tactical combat. Units can be customized for specific fights with gear, upgradable abilities, and a job system. Use guile, planning, and cunning to overcome superior foes!

Highly Replayable - Replay finished battles to earn full marks, or replay the entire game! Once completed players can challenge a New Game+ mode, keeping some progress from their first playthrough to re-experience more difficult versions of the battles with new mechanics and challenges.

Rich, Dynamic Environments - The world of Thra is a living, unpredictable environment as dangerous as it is beautiful. Dynamic events on the battlefield, which can create opportunities or put the Gelflings at a disadvantage, can necessitate rapid changes in strategy.
The release is cheduled for Q4 2019 and here is the trailer:

More information.

No idea if this will be better than average as licensed properties go, but in concept it could have been designed specifically for me.

Tactical RPGs are my jam, and the Dark Crystal was my favorite movie as a little kid. For a while in the nineties, I used various images of Aughra (the oracular hag) as my avatars all over the net.

But … will it be any good?

Looks interesting but also very simple. Doesn't mean it can't be deep and fun anyways.

You ever notice how much Yoda and Aughra are alike? Lucas originally wanted Henson for Yoda but he had to decline Empire because he was too busy with The Dark Crystal.

I was hoping they'd make a Dark Crystal game. But I was thinking of an RPG or perhaps a stealth game. I can't really see the Dark Crystal as a strategy game. Time will tell I suppose :)

Honestly more stoked for the Netflix series than a strategy game based on the movie. Seems like an odd fit.

Back
Top Bottom