Tactica 7 years in development and no real info?

Tactica: Maiden of Faith
Congratulations Gothic, great news :D

I think GG is my age, so is this a grand-baby?

Congrats GG :)

Whatever gave you such an idea? ( not that I know how old you are, but I always thought you were at least twice my age :) )

A census taker approaches crpgnut leaning on his gate and asks about his children. He says, "I have three children and the product of their ages is seventy–two. The sum of their ages is the number on this gate." The census taker does some calculation and claims not to have enough information. The man enters his house, but before slamming the door tells the census taker, "I have to see to my eldest child who is in bed with measles." The census taker departs, satisfied

@Wisdom; thanks for asking, it is nice to see people still check here from time to time. I thought I'd post lots of updates during last year to follow up on the screenshots posted at the end of 2016. But things do not always go as planned, in this case the reason for that is something great for me personally, but not so great for the game development.

The family has grown, and my time has been spent taking care of a baby instead of working on the game. The good news is that, since this is and always have been a hobby project so far, I have no deadlines, and I am hoping to get back into development as soon as I can. I think 2d art will not age the way 3d does so that is also a positive.

If you're developing for an rpgwatch, or even an rpgcodex audience, I think aged 2d art is largely a mute point. Games like Dungeons of Chaos, Grimoire, Avernum, Serpents and Stardew Valley show that many RPGgames will accept old graphics if the gameplay is good.

A census taker approaches crpgnut leaning on his gate and asks about his children. He says, "I have three children and the product of their ages is seventy–two. The sum of their ages is the number on this gate." The census taker does some calculation and claims not to have enough information. The man enters his house, but before slamming the door tells the census taker, "I have to see to my eldest child who is in bed with measles." The census taker departs, satisfied

sorry to derail the thread @GG

x * y * z = 72
x + y + z = g
eldest child in bed with the measles

Does the solution have to do with with statistical data? Or the law?

Not statistics or the law, just algebra.

Not enough informations means that there for the given product (72) and sum (the gate number, which the census knows), must be more than one solution, otherwise he would known the answer. The two solutions are {3,3,8} and {6,6,2}.

Since there is an oldest siebling, the answer is 3,3,8 (we disregard that one twin is born before the other).

who?
pibbur

Last edited:
Not enough informations means that there are more than on combination satisfying both the equations. Those two are 3,3,8 and 6,6,2

Since there is an oldest siebling, the answer is 3,3,8 (we disregard that one twin is born be fore the other).

who?
pibbur

Well it could 72 1 1

However, since the census taker does not know how old the three children are it means he hasn't been there since the last census - assuming American, that means 10 years. All three children must be under 10.

But why not 4, 5, 8? Or 7, 2, 8? Or 4, 4, 9? etc.

Well it could 72 1 1

However, since the census taker does not know how old the three children are it means he hasn't been there since the last census - assuming American, that means 10 years. All three children must be under 10.

But why not 4, 5, 8? Or 7, 2, 8? Or 4, 4, 9? etc.

It is only about algebra, nothing more.

The clue is that there must be more than one combination giving the same product and sum. The only sets of numbers doing that are 3,3,8 and 6,6,2.

72+1+1=74, but no other combination (having 72 as product) gives that sum.

The product of the other numbers you mention is not 72.

EDIT:
Here are the possible combinations of numbers having 72 as their product (hope I haven't forgotten any):

2,2,18, sum=22
2,4,9, sum=15
2,12,3, sum=17
2,6,6, sum=14
4,6,3, sum=13
1,1,72, sum=74
1,2,36, sum=38
1,4,18, sum=21
1,3,24, sum=28
1,8,9, sum=18
1,6,12, sum=19
8,3,3, sum=14

Last edited:
I'm probably getting you mixed up with magerette. I AM old ya know. Not ancient like Corwin, but old. Congrats on the new addition.

Should you change the name to Mistress of Faith instead of maiden? ;)

A gothic baby - congrats!

@pibbur who;, I don't see where any of @crpgnut; 's children's age have to equal the sum? According to Drthius

A gothic baby - congrats!

@pibbur who;, I don't see where any of @crpgnut; 's children's age have to equal the sum? According to Drthius

Now, I don't understand what you're meaning. "The sum of their ages is the number on this gate". To me it says exactly that.???

Besides, this is a fairly well-known algebra excersize.

pibbur who maybe misunderstood what Drithius meant.

PS: I should not derail the thread further. I'll address the problem more thoroughly in the things you don't need to know thread. DS.

Last edited:
Congrats, GG! Busy times ahead of you looking after your bub and developing the game ;)

Congrats GG!

What’s more work, making games or babies?

It's not the making babies that takes up the time. It's the keeping them alive part, after.

Back
Top Bottom