Baldur's Gate 3 - Gameplay Explained

I'm warming up to this game. Although I'm not jumping on the early access train as I prefer to play finished products, I'm quite happy to see how the game is shaping up! It is starting to remind me of d&d. It is just very difficult to recreate that Baldur's gate "feeling."

I want to to say that it clearly looks like a great rpg and I'm very tempted to buy it when it done, but can they make me feel like I'm playing a sequel to the one of the best rpgs ever made? That one is going to be a fun thing to see.

It is not only the visual style, but music, storytelling, writing, gameplay stuff…heck the whole package. With baldur's gates I've often heard people say something like "Together they are greater than the sum of their parts." How does one even hope to recreate that magical feeling? I honestly don't know. I think they should use narrator before every new chapter like in the classic games. It felt like you were first reading a fantasy novel and then suddenly you were part of that fantasy novel! :)

That being said, Larian can't just copycat stuff. They will have to find out their own voice and make Baldur's gate 3 their's while respecting the roots of this series and staying true to d&d. Not an easy thing to pull off, but we can't expect any less. :D

I don't know what's happening nowadays, but newer CRPGs are really bad in my opinion. Original Sin 1 & 2, Pillars of Eternity 2, Pathfinder: Kingmaker.. All of them terrible games, can't touch gems like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Vampire, Might and Magic, Morrowind and Neverwinter Nights, for example.

I would say the worst offender is Pathfinder: Kingmaker. What a bugged, overscoped mess. The writing is abysmal. Never had I seen so many long, uninteresting lore dumps in a game, not even in Inquisitor. And what about that map? No interesting locations or cool cities with well written characters. To this day I remember Candlekeep, Friendly Arms Inn, Nashkell Mines and many other locations and characters. Not so much with this new wave of CRPGs. I was not able to bear Kingmaker even with the ridiculous, time consuming kingdom management set to auto. A shame really, for mechanichally, it's pretty good. But mechanics are nothing without a good, well written plot behind it.

A shame as I see myself leaning more towards JRPGs and board games/tabletop RPGs these days.

The saving grace was Kingdom Come: Deliverance. What an excellent experience.

I am going to try Atom right now, but with low expectations.

I just hope Baldur's Gate 3 takes more from the past than from the current CRPGs, but I find it highly unlikely.

This, 100% true.

I haven't played BG1 or 2 in 15 years, and I still remember the names of all the characters that were in my party.

I am trying to remember ONE character's name from POE 1/2, Kingmaker, or DOS1/2.

The stories were so weak I didn't even care about any of the characters.

You spent 100 hours playing that terrible game? ;)

Yes. It took me 30 hours to complete the prologue (two different characters). Then, after chapter 1, I went for the Varnhold DLC. The game is a very slow simmer, so 100 hours is not that long. Besides, kingdom management is a huge time sink. By the time I got to chapter three and had to activate automatic kingdom management, I knew I was done with it. Additionally, until then, I was reading everything, and it is a very text heavy game, albeit poorly written.

So yes, I was pretty excited at first. At some point in chapter 1 I really thought it could be a spiritual sucessor to Baldur's Gate, but it wore off; there is no charm. No vast cities or pretty sights, no remarkable characters. The errands and crafter quests were ridiculous fetch tasks.

After playing Kingdom Come, The Witcher 3, Kingdom Death Monster, Middara etc, I found Kingmaker hard to stomach, but again, just my 2 cents. Hope Baldur's Gate 3 goes for a very diferent take.

The game is a very slow simmer, so 100 hours is not that long.

100 hours is a long time. I don't care how long the game is. I don't spend 100 hours doing anything I don't like to do, unless you count something like washing dishes and aggregate the time spent over a lifetime.

100 hours is a long time. I don't care how long the game is. I don't spend 100 hours doing anything I don't like to do, unless you count something like washing dishes and aggregate the time spent over a lifetime.

Your problem. That was the amount of time I needed to have a solid opinion about it. This is very personal and irrelevant, really.

Oh the irony in your statement…

lol the famous snowflake of the site came to talk about irony. Be careful don't break on your way out. At least Nereida is not a pathetic snowflake like you, which is worst.

Last edited:
I think Nereida is just trolling a bit, trying to provoke reactions with hyperbolic and somewhat rude and definitive statements. Kinda reminds me of how Dart used to do some of his posts, but probably its just a coincidence.

He's not trolling, he believes what he said, he's a honest retard but he plays the smart ass in the wrong snowflake site. At codex we would eat him alive just for breakfast.

He's not trolling, he believes what he said, he's a honest retard but he plays the smart ass in the wrong snowflake site. At codex we would eat him alive just for breakfast.

1 - Nereida is not a him.

2 - Feel free to stay there where you're more comfortable and don't have to deal with all of us snowflakes.

If I ever saw a standard internet street thug. "yo dawg, in ma hood yud be ded, yu heer me?"

I should go over there to see what they'd do to me. Damn, they might use mean words over the internet and then what would be of my life?

Nice informative interview (for RPS :rolleyes:). Although the engine is still clearly from the Original Sin games, it looks like it has evolved quite a bit and there's a good degree of adaption to D&D. Everytime they show some new content I'm liking what I see more. But I do still think that their writing needs more work, let's hope it's better than the D:OS games.

There is no need to insult other members on this forum. If you can’t express yourself without insults, don’t bother to post anything.

I honestly think the UI looks fantastic, but perhaps that's one, if not the main reason for a lot of people bring up the "BG3 looks like a OS2 reskin". If they tweaked that around and did random stuff like putting the health bars elsewhere or using a different skin for the UI frames, it might even help shake off that "accusation". I wouldn't be against it, but again, it looks really neat as it is.

I'm not a fan of the UI either. I feel like the minimap is too large, and I find it distracting. I hope there's an option to resize it or toggle it with a key.

Looking better each time I see it - would be nice if they could change up the UI a bit to give it that old Forgotten Realms feeling (you know, the stone and gold inlay etc). Something a bit more fantastical.

That pause hourglass looks like a mobile icon. Not being unkind, thats just the way it looks to me. I would like the spells to look like spell scrolls and for there to be some sort of theming. Same for music, the theme is still dos2 with its musical signature.

After playing Kingdom Come, The Witcher 3, Kingdom Death Monster, Middara etc, I found Kingmaker hard to stomach, but again, just my 2 cents. Hope Baldur's Gate 3 goes for a very diferent take.

Are Middara and Kingdom Death Monster PC games? I'm asking because I never heard of them.

"No game released today is as good as those games from 20 years ago"

That's nostalgia. Some games were good then, some are good today. People still remember completely forgettable stuff like the Friendly Arm Inn mostly because the game was so special to them and because they played it over and over. Sure, Baldur's Gate 2 is better than Pillars of Eternity 1, of course, but it doesn't mean that current games suck.

I agree about the UI, they need to get rid of all DOS elements and overhaul the whole user interface into a D&D type of unique theme. For example, the loot box that pops up when looting chests and enemies is from DOS and needs to be completely replaced.

I'm assuming they will have original music as well, in a suitable Baldur's Gate/ D&D type of ambience.

Are Middara and Kingdom Death Monster PC games? I'm asking because I never heard of them.
Those are actually tabletop miniature board games.:)
Middara is a 1-4 player cooperative story telling miniatures board game. The game takes place in an ultra-modern fantasy setting that exists alongside our very own earth. … While players will experience short term effects from their choices, the Narrative System really shines in long term effects.
Kingdom Death: Monster is a strategy board game designed to be played by four players. In Kingdom Death: Monster, players take on the role of adventurers who barely survive an attack by a monstrous lion. Forming a settlement nearby, they celebrate this victory with a yearly lantern festival followed by a ceremonial hunt against another monster.

Back
Top Bottom