Baldur's Gate 3 - Early Impressions @ Fextralife

I get his points about TB combat. While I prefer it, the games pacing needs built to handle it. If there are waves of combat that take 40 minutes each time it really becomes a slog. This is true in tabletop play as well. Hopefully Larian will keep the combat meaningful but not having many trash mobs and when there is combat it will be meaningful and some will be shorter duration with less enemies. Pacing is key for me. Games that are built for real time but get a TB mod struggle with this as it's not planned this was from the beginning.

I sure hope they dont alter the rules away from the D&D rules anymore but rather work on better pacing where combat feels exciting and rewarding as opposed to a slog.

Entirely with you on that!

They should be used to scaling combats for TB, however, so that's strange. I haven't played BG3 enough to meet those epic battles yet. Perhaps it's part of the process and the final release will be more balanced, I hope so anyway.

Fextralife... next they'll start publishing tons of videos on character creation, I suppose, if that's the case already :D They really like to explore all possibilities, it's impressive.

In the first 8 hours I did not encounter dragged out fights.

I hope they will add the RTWP combat option before release.

Won't happen. At any point.
Would be hilarious if they did. :lol:

Pathfinder: Kingmaker and Pillars of Eternity 1&2 added TB for more sales.

Hmm.. sounds like we need a talented modder to make a RTWP Mod.:p

Now…Now…TB lovers got their voice heard and got it added to games that were only RTWP. It's only fair RTWP lovers get their voice heard now. You guys cant complain.:p

Now…Now…TB lovers got their voice heard and got it added to games that were only RTWP. It's only fair RTWP lovers get their voice heard now. You guys cant complain.:p

I prefer TB but still would play a BG3 if it was RTWP. Actually have an option would help if too many trash mobs however.

I have 7.3 hours played so far and really enjoyed it. For me the battles are a bit long but thats more because that is the down side to TB combat in general. It drags. But it hasn't been so painful so far that I have stopped. I have saved and stopped playing for the night twice when I knew combat was coming. Only because I knew I was overdue to get to bed and its hard to know how long a big fight will last. TB isn't as friendly to gamers who can't dedicate solid time I find. Hoping they add a fast story mode for the combat so can speed through it faster.

For now it is very fun though and enjoying the companions and story. Also a great looking game.

TB isn't as friendly to gamers who can't dedicate solid time I find. Hoping they add a fast story mode for the combat so can speed through it faster.

On the other hand, mid combat saves are more common in turn based games than in RTWP games, aren't they? I don't know if that exists so far in BG3, but I believe the DS games had them.

Back
Top Bottom