Spiders - New Game Annoucement on July 7

@Couchpotato; There was some pretty vague news bits on Elex 2 in December last year. Nothing since then.

And then you have Piranha Bytes tweets like this:

https://twitter.com/Piranha_Bytes/status/1276062576909012993

They better not wreck this project, and waste the public funding they received for it. That would be horrible. With Kickstarter, I at least have a choice, but this one I'm funding via taxes! I demand to see results!

(I'm kidding. Partially.)

The new game is called Steelrising.

Hmm…hopefully it's better than it sounds. The description doesn't make it seem like anything I'd be interested in. I was hoping for another Mars/Technomancer game to be honest.

*Edit*
Spiders president and co-founder Jehanne Rousseau said during the stream that Steelrising will be a "much more action-focused approach" compared to previous Spiders games. While there's also mention of side quests and loot, it also sounds like it'll lean a bit more towards the active side of things, though we've yet to see gameplay.

That doesn't bode well. :-/

@Couchpotato; There was some pretty vague news bits on Elex 2 in December last year. Nothing since then.

They better not wreck this project, and waste the public funding they received for it. That would be horrible. With Kickstarter, I at least have a choice, but this one I'm funding via taxes! I demand to see results!

Interesting. I missed that tweet last month. Is that possibly a screenshot from Elex 2? I don't recognize the gear he has there.

Yeah, the premise still has that somewhat amateurish feel of reaching too hard for a novel concept, but maybe that's just me. I'd perhaps like to see a more grounded idea, and a focus on the quality of the writing and production. It would be good for them to take the next step up with the new project.

Interesting. I missed that tweet last month. Is that possibly a screenshot from Elex 2? I don't recognize the gear he has there.

I also don't remember a gun like that, but I don't think the screenshot is Elex 2. They post Elex screenshots regularly. I think I know the location as well, a bit west of the Dam.

At best, the "long path" thingy is a wink at Elex 2. ;)

And about Steelrising: hrm... I hoped for something else.

I also don't remember a gun like that, but I don't think the screenshot is Elex 2. They post Elex screenshots regularly. I think I know the location as well, a bit west of the Dam.

At best, the "long path" thingy is a wink at Elex 2. ;)

I don't remember that armor either, but it might just be the angle. You're probably right about it being from the first game.

I don't remember that armor either, but it might just be the angle. You're probably right about it being from the first game.

The top part at least is the mechanic shirt

@Couchpotato There was some pretty vague news bits on Elex 2 in December last year. Nothing since then.

(I'm kidding. Partially.)
Hm interesting thanks I might have to replay Elex to catch up on the story. All I can remember was a foretelling something bad was coming to Earth that's all.

Hmm…hopefully it's better than it sounds. The description doesn't make it seem like anything I'd be interested in. I was hoping for another Mars/Technomancer game to be honest.

*Edit*

That doesn't bode well. :-/

Not sure if you watched the video ( starts at 19:30) but it sound a bit better than that paragraph suggests.

I read a lot around here about lack of innovation or unique setting so here you have it. I on the other hand am fine with just recycling fantasy settings but I’ll keep an open mind. Even if I end up not caring for it I hope it’s successful so they continue to make games.

After watching the video, I think it sounds even worse. :)
I consent.
From what I've seen and heard this isn't a game for me. So I'm quite disappointed. I've played all of their games and hoped for them to develop into a second Bioware (when they were still good). That development now took a different turn.

I really wonderes what happend there. I mean in all of their games the characters as human beings have been very important, with own motivations, personality etc.
And now you're playing a robot against robots and thus not surprisingly it's more action orientated. That's quite a change of focus. Wonder if that has to do with the acuisition by Nacon.
Perhaps I'm going over the top here but in this interview Jehanne Rousseau doesn't look as excited and positive about the new game as in interviews for previous games.

After watching the video, I think it sounds even worse. :)

I can understand that. I’m not excited at all about this either. I just thought the video painted a slightly better picture of the side content but still not a good picture.

I’m honestly worried this will be a flop. Which would be to bad because I like spiders and the direction they seemed to be headed in.

It’s a weird setting and premise. Also unless I misunderstood it seems you can only play a female robot which is fine for me as I play female anyway but it will likely turn off a segment of gamers. When you’re already a niche developer becoming a niche of a niche developer doesn’t seem like a positive move. Hope I’m wrong.

Robots (ment to fight, not to be used as sex toys) have gender?

That aside, I'm always excited about new stuff not seen previously and that means I'm buying this one too.

I can understand that. I’m not excited at all about this either. I just thought the video painted a slightly better picture of the side content but still not a good picture.

I’m honestly worried this will be a flop. Which would be to bad because I like spiders and the direction they seemed to be headed in.

It’s a weird setting and premise. Also unless I misunderstood it seems you can only play a female robot which is fine for me as I play female anyway but it will likely turn off a segment of gamers. When you’re already a niche developer becoming a niche of a niche developer doesn’t seem like a positive move. Hope I’m wrong.
My opinion as well. I also fear the game wont sell well. I also don't want to sound sexist but I know many gamer's who would prefer to choose their own sex in RPGs.

I'm guessing it has to with the budget or some story/vision reason.

Nothing to see here :) Back to me survival binge gaming.

I hope it does well as I really enjoyed some of their past games, especially Technomancer and Greedfall. I really was hoping for something more along those lines. I mean both those two games had very different settings but I liked the general feeling to them both. I simply can't get into playing a female robot doing a lot of action combat. But I would like to see more games from them even if I have to wait a very long time now.

Only game I'm not interested in is Plague Tale 2. Didn't like part one as its not an RPG. Plays more like an action/adventure game.

Yes, its action adventure, but its nice game. And I wouldnt be surprised if part 2 would be more RPG-like. Focus needs more RPGs when they lost Cyanide and Spiders studios.

Yep also Focus Home Interactive acquired Deck13. Makers of The Surge & Lords of the Fallen. They made up for the loss of Spiders with a better developer.Yeah I forgot Focus Home owns the IP.

I disagree. Spiders is better developer. At least in art style, stories, creativity and the games (RPGs) they make.

wolfgrimark said:
I really enjoyed some of their past games, especially Technomancer and Greedfall. I really was hoping for something more along those lines. I mean both those two games had very different settings but I liked the general feeling to them both. I simply can't get into playing a female robot doing a lot of action combat. But I would like to see more games from them even if I have to wait a very long time now.

I hope they are not changing course towards more action-oriented ARPGs under Nacon. That would be bad turn of events.
But the world is cleary their own invention - I think that Mrs Rousseau said in an interview (maybe in RPGWatch interview) that she like strange worlds.

How odd !
Recently I was dabbling with writing fragments of a ... robot (a female one) trying to understand what "human socialization" is. It is an ongoing project. It is like having an artificial being being modelled after human's plans, and trying to find out - and partially being taught - what "social" means to humans.
I don't know where it leads me to, but I find it odd that I have yet again caught something that was in the air and wrote about it.
Howver, the topic is imho so complicated that no-one will want to make an RPG out of it - video games are NEVER about socialization, only about coming into power.

Back
Top Bottom