Minecraft?

Seems interesting; I love the potential for open-ended exploration and imagination. Going back to what made games engrossing yesteryear.

Looked at a couple of those X videos... man, that looks really immersive.

Last edited:
So, could this be called Dwarf Fortress with a better interface? Kinda seems that way. I'm really resisting the siren call, Sammy, but you're making it very difficult.

So I just bought Minecraft, played a bit... and I can already feel the dorky glee within me building.

Between this and EQ2, god help me!

Wait till you discover minecarts with motion machines, boosters, and door triggers. My poor EQ2 buddies are having to do without me for awhile longer.
LB

PS: watch out for creepers

I've never played a game w/ such freedom to do whatever you want, Minecraft is such simple perfection in that regard. I can see how someone would also see it as boring as hell, and have no clue what to do next or even desire to spend another minute in the game. All depends on your personality i suppose!

I feel your pain in the epic fall into lava. That is the one death that will cost you everything you have on you. Burnt to a crisp without a chance of retrival. I love the X files on youTube..great for learning the game fast and for ideas for building.

I do cheat a bit and turn off monsters when I have a full inventory and am far from home base. I get frustrated if I have to run for 30 min just to retrive what I spent hours mining and collecting.

On peaceful it is a great game for the younger kids in our family . They can really use their imaginations. There are some great looking texture packs on the forums as well. I grabbed one that really makes the game look fancy IMHO. You have to take a peak.

Now if they would get the private server stuff up and running I would be really happy.

He had dug his way down as far as he could, through an assortment of sand, gravel, and granite - dug until even his diamond pick could leave but a scratch upon the world's bedrock. Outward his reach spread from there, seeking riches with which to bolster his kingdom of one.

After what seemed an endless bout of trial and error, the explorer managed to build a working railway system simply to help him get back home after a day… or a week's work. Afterward, rested, he would hop into his minecart and make the journey back downward, down, down, to goblin town… err… down to the black maw of the world below. What would have taken an hour of trudging through tunnels and stairways was instead covered in mere seconds.

But not all was quiet in the depths of the land. Just as common as the shiny jewels nestled in the rock were the groans of the undead, seemingly infesting what he had believed to be his own private underground wonderland. Off he dug towards the source of these predators-turned-prey. Were they below? Above? No matter, they would soon be no more!

But, what is this! A perplexing discovery. A final barrier between prey and predator, a primeval moss-covered cobblestone. Onward the stalwart explorer continued, onward to discover what enemies lied within this ancient tomb of evil - and what rewards they would offer.
<——————————————————————->

Yeah, I'm having fun.

Last edited:
I've uncovered both a zombie-spawner and spider-spawner. They surprised me when I found them, it was pretty surreal and unexpected.

I've actually built them into parts of my subterranean lair. I have my own personal "Pit of Zombies" and spider cavern. Whenever I need string or feathers, i go visit my pets and grind away for a while until I have what I need for arrows.

I've actually died in my own zombie pit before, underestimating the green bastards when theyre massed and all riled up!

You can set up monsters spawns to automatically kill the monsters and float you the loot on the water. Works like a charm if you tweak it out right. Then you can mine out the area while keeping an eye on the collection point to grab the loot.
A heads up! I have had one crash since I started playing were my save was lost, so make sure you back up your save every-so-often. The save file in Win 7 is located under Users\username\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\saves.
LB
PS: if you see me online, please don’t spleef me!

For those who want to peek without spending cash, the original version is still available for download for free. Give you an idea how it plays.

I love the new wolves, though they are not the brightest things out there. They will follow you, once trained, through water and suddenly drown. They seem to like the sounds lava makes, but they don't have the brains not to run headlong into the stream to test it out. At the moment they have no clue how to go through a door, even the double ones. :) But it is fun to set them to kill mode. :cm:

wolves? Oh wow there was an update, I didnt notice that. Havent played in a week or so.

Looks like they implemented the bed as respawn point, that will come in handy. I hate respawning somewhere, out in the dark in the middle of the night and the timer's ticking to go get all your stuff...

I've never played a game w/ such freedom to do whatever you want, Minecraft is such simple perfection in that regard. I can see how someone would also see it as boring as hell, and have no clue what to do next or even desire to spend another minute in the game. All depends on your personality i suppose!

Indeed. It's similar to how some people prefer open-ended RPGs and others (like me) prefer following a story. I tried Minecraft, uninstalled it like 15 minutes later.

Funny minecraft art which is now my desktop wallpaper -

creepered.JPG

I just started playing on a new server : 202.136.97.202
I made the little garden outside the main little town along with the basement of one of the houses. I'm just starting out, but if some Watchers were to join it might be fun :)

I'm not so much into sandboxy games, so we'll see how long I last...

Nice :)

I'm keeping to single player for the timebeing- something tells me random people griefing the new railway station that took me 3 days to build would piss me the heck off. In the future, I'll likely migrate to SMP though.

The original game offered the needed program to run a private server if you wanted. That is my hope, so I can have a few sessions now and then with friends only and not have to worry. Hopefully when the final release hits they will take a break and update the server download to match the game version.

Back
Top Bottom