Dragon Age 2 - 8 Reasons Why It's Good

What is really going on here in some cases, is that BG2 was Bioware's Magnum Opus. When they were small and cool and run by the doctors, and had homeless people living in their office stairwell (true facts!). And now because they're big and are with EA, they're not indie cool anymore, and their games are "crap" or "garbage", when really they're great games, they will just never give them the Blue Sky high of their masterpiece.
So you are saying that their games are still great and it's all a question of perception?

BG2 was actually written by those homeless people living in the stairwell. That's why it was so much better than most of the stuff Bioware's put out since then. ;)

BG2 was actually written by those homeless people living in the stairwell. That's why it was so much better than most of the stuff Bioware's put out since then. ;)

Someone should check that stairwell to see if they're still there. I'd personally give them a hot meal each day if they replaced the current Bioware writing staff ;)

So, because you think their games are great - you create a fantasy about other people who disagree?

Sure, why not.

As for their masterpiece, I consider NWN and KotOR to be closer to that description, though I realise it's a matter of personal preference.

Modern Bioware games are streamlined - which is not a subjective observation. The writing is different, which is not a subjective observation.

As for good or bad? I don't know that it's important.

I just know that their factory line products with teenage soap opera drama isn't enough to constitute "greatness" from my point of view.

I'd say average to decent - depending on how generous I feel like being.

I can't pretend it's not a massive decline from their past work, though. I wish I could - but I'm not good at the whole delusional thing.

Great is a relative term, and obviously depends on how you are measuring it. In this case lets just say it's because the masses are giving BG2 the highest ratings compared to all of Bioware's other offerings. Regardless, even by using the words average to decent, you're accepting that the games are not crap or garbage or whatever exaggerated words that get thrown out there. I could even argue that based on your own preferences, of NWN and KOTOR, that you prefer streamlined games, as those games were more streamlined than DA:O, not including extra fan made content of course (for the record, I personally liked NWN and KOTOR better than BG2 too). And what's with the "fantasy" and "delusional" comments? You remind me of Jeff Albertson.

and had homeless people living in their office stairwell (true facts!).
If that is the issue, I am sure that publicity, a marketing plan and they are sponsored in getting homeless people living somewhere near their current office.

Great is a relative term, and obviously depends on how you are measuring it. In this case lets just say it's because the masses are giving BG2 the highest ratings compared to all of Bioware's other offerings. Regardless, even by using the words average to decent, you're accepting that the games are not crap or garbage or whatever exaggerated words that get thrown out there. I could even argue that based on your own preferences, of NWN and KOTOR, that you prefer streamlined games, as those games were more streamlined than DA:O, not including extra fan made content of course (for the record, I personally liked NWN and KOTOR better than BG2 too). And what's with the "fantasy" and "delusional" comments? You remind me of Jeff Albertson.

I don't confuse my own position with objective truth.

Yes, I think the games in question are average to decent, but that doesn't mean other people can't consider them crap or garbage. You don't have to know a whole lot about how preferences can differ to appreciate that there's really no truth when it comes to how great games are.

NWN and KotOR were indeed streamlined - and they sort of hit the right balance between complexity and playability, from where I'm sitting. I'm not too happy about the combat system in KotOR, but nothing's perfect.

To me, NWN was a masterpiece because of the work they did with multiplayer and the amazingly powerful editor.

KotOR was a brilliant hybrid between a reasonably complex RPG and a fantastic Star Wars experience. Contrasted with the prequel movies which were coming out around the same time, it was such a breath of fresh air.

It's ludicrous to suggest you "know what's going on" - if you really believe there's some kind of level these games can't fall below to people who don't share your point of view.

I don't know this Jeff Albertson. Is he the only other person in the world you know that uses those two words?

If the question is streamlining, then it is absolutely true that Bioware has made strides (during and after the EA acquisition) to provide story paths that as many players as possible would see. If you choose to leave out the subjective notion that the writing is not as good, the doctors are quoted as saying that they did not like the cost in zots it took to generate tons of content that many players will never see. I don't have the exact quotes handy, but that is pretty good paraphrase of what they said.

So, because of their desire to no longer create games that offered true choice and that played differently each time you played them because you saw and interacted with different aspects of the game, we have games that are much more cinematic, AAA but lack the variety and breadth of experience of the earlier games. And "that" is what members of the Bioware old guard (like myself) miss the most.

Thankfully, D:OS and some other current games seem to be filling the gap, so I'm actually quite content with Bioware going off and continuing to make cinematic movie-games, like they have been.

If that is the issue, I am sure that publicity, a marketing plan and they are sponsored in getting homeless people living somewhere near their current office.

Their office in Edmonton had back door stairwell access with no lock on it. It was desirable to them in -40 weather because it was heated.

Only minus 25 in Edmonton today, so quite balmy here. I think the sun is scheduled to make an appearance soon.

Is it windy there too? At work I walked out today and thought "hey this isn't so bad, I don't need a toque..." then the wind gusts came when I was halfway to another building. Blah.

I don't know this Jeff Albertson. Is he the only other person in the world you know that uses those two words?

He's the person you just googled.

Not only is it a junk article, the site itself is garbage.

I despise sites that spread articles over 8-9 pages and force you to click through 1 paragraph at a time.

I hate that kind of "web design" as well. Its just not worth of my time.

Instant turn off for me.

That's not true. People dumped on Beyond Divinity because it deserved being dumped on, and there were /are hoards of Divine Divinty fans.

As just one simple example. The statement you used is what people call a fallacy.

My2c

That's one example. There are plenty of indie games that are judged less harshly because they don't have the same funds/resources as a AAA studio. The Binding of Isaac is a good indie game but there's plenty to criticize, which I won't go into. Terraria, Minecraft, Space Engineers, Don't Starve, etc, etc, etc. Good games but they could easily be heavily critiqued. DA2 is judged as a AAA game based on the amount of developers, resources, and the price tag, so judged as a AAA game it barely, if that, feels like a "good" game. Again if it were viewed as an indie game with an indie game price tag my opinion of the game would be a lot higher.

I think it's common sense that most (keyword "most") indie games are not judged as harshly as AAA games.

That's one example. There are plenty of indie games that are judged less harshly because they don't have the same funds/resources as a AAA studio. The Binding of Isaac is a good indie game but there's plenty to criticize, which I won't go into. Terraria, Minecraft, Space Engineers, Don't Starve, etc, etc, etc. Good games but they could easily be heavily critiqued. DA2 is judged as a AAA game based on the amount of developers, resources, and the price tag, so judged as a AAA game it barely, if that, feels like a "good" game. Again if it were viewed as an indie game with an indie game price tag my opinion of the game would be a lot higher.

I think it's common sense that most (keyword "most") indie games are not judged as harshly as AAA games.

While it's an interesting philosophical perspective, it's a complete unreality, because if by some twist of reality DA2 was a game released by an indy then we have no idea how people would react because it didn't happen, so you're free to make up any imagined response you like, what with the whole concept being a fiction.

I understand what Sidion is saying, and I agree with him. Indie games are judged differently than AAA games by a lot of people, and I suppose it's sometimes justified when you take the amount of money and labor into account.

A lot of people don't think it's fair to use the same standards for a game that was made by 4-5 people on a 50k budget compared to something that had a 40+ person development team and a Million+ budget.

That has nothing to do with the game though, that's a sense of charity. That's giving additional points for a prospective future of better games to come. So you're judging potential into the mix.

When you're judging a AAA title, charity isn't on the table. And yes, I know the philosophy of what they're saying, but people do bash small independent games and very few people play them relative to AAA games. So my answer to his point would be: if it was an indy game hardly anyone would have played it and some people would bleat on about how good it is every now and then to an essentially uncaring audience - which is how DA2 is treated anyway...

if it was an indy game hardly anyone would have played it and some people would bleat on about how good it is every now and then to an essentially uncaring audience - which is how DA2 is treated anyway…

Right. So the reaction to DA2 would have been the exact same if it had been put out by a small indie dev rather than Bioware?

If you say so. ;)

Back
Top Bottom