Do you Play PC JRPGs?

Do You Play PC JRPGs?

• Yes

Votes: 30 47.6%
  • No

Votes: 33 52.4%

• Total voters
If you're not a big fan of the genre you can't really play a lot of the really great jRPGs for the first time today and understand why people love them. The things that separated Lunar: Silver Star Story from the rest of the games back then are just normal now.

The only 2 games I can think of that still stand out from others and might make an impression are Final Fantasy Tactics which has a good plot, a great classes system (that still holds up fairly well), and tactical combat. and Suikoden (I'm weird I like 1 > 2, but there's 108 different people to collect for your army). There are some other unique ones (like Legends of Legaia), but you really have to like the genre.

I don't own a console and never have so I have never played any JRPG.

But I did watch some Youtube videos and everything about it turns me off; the visual style (particularly ithe unrealistic overexaggeration), the childish elements (e.g. the cute humanoid animal), the combat, the poppy music during combat…but most of all what I absolutely dislike are these excessive bleeping sounds within the interface during combat, it just destroys immersion and makes me feel like I am in an arcade hall.

So no, I have no desire to engage in some PC JRPG :).

Same here. Never owned a console, never liked console-like gameplay. From "simple" games back then, to crippled controller controls today (not saying a controller is bad for everything though, but go away with them from RPGs!).
I hate the "funny" style of the art, which is also the reason why the only anime I like are the ones which are very serious and almost western drawing style (e.g. Ghost in the Shell, Jin-Roh). I need a setting which takes itself serious. Suspension of disbelief ist the right term here I guess. Something most anime and JRPGs are missing.

I am also not a fan of grinding and repetitive stuff.

I spent my first computer-years with a C64, which of course also has far superior sound than all the nintendo stuff back then. ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoGFV_xxR64

So there is basically not a single aspect of JRPGs I like.

The only thing I have to admit is: While I didn't have any english skills and probably would not have understood mechanics of pre 90 RPGs while I was like 7 years old, that knowledge would probably have been enough to enjoy console rpgs like Zelda back then.

All of you who are "desireless" I'll just say you don't know what you're missing by not buying Valkyria Chronicles on Steam.
And if you dare to risk it, you'll see that jRPG shouldn't be used as synonym for grinding nor for horrible UI port.

Nor are JRPGs somehow "simpler" than other RPGs. Just play Lost Odyssey or Blue Dragon and see for yourself. :D

Nor are JRPGs somehow "simpler" than other RPGs. Just play Lost Odyssey or Blue Dragon and see for yourself. :D
Well in those cases I would say that they are indeed "simpler" than your average WRPG. But if you want examples of complex systems, try a tri-Ace game like Star Ocean or Resonance of Fate or some Tactical RPG like Final Fantasy Tactics or Tactics Ogre (or Valkyria I suppose, still need to play this one).

All of you who are "desireless" I'll just say you don't know what you're missing by not buying Valkyria Chronicles on Steam.
And if you dare to risk it, you'll see that jRPG shouldn't be used as synonym for grinding nor for horrible UI port.

I heared a podcast on 3 moves ahead about it. And it sounded interesting until they mentioned the "story" and that it's speed (and therefore difficulty) is dependent on processsor speed...^^

I heared a podcast on 3 moves ahead about it. And it sounded interesting until they mentioned the "story" and that it's speed (and therefore difficulty) is dependent on processsor speed…^^

Speed? Valkyria Chronicles is turn based if I remember correctly.

You remember correctly.
Podcast? People are still using that stuff? I thought it died ages ago.

In VC nothing is dependent on CPU speed, but on FPS. You can set 60 FPS and the game will work flawlessly, but the rate of fire will go double up because it's coded to work like that, rifles rate of fire is connected to screen refresh. Now that sounds great, your hero shoots faster on high frames per second which means you'll pwn everything on PC since you can play on 60 FPS and not on pathetic consoley 30 FPS, right? Wrong! Your enemies also shoot faster! And when your hero is faced against a few of those, chances to survive are not promising. :)

Since this wasn't patched yet for what I know, I suggest using consoley default 30 FPS. The game is turn based so in this case lower FPS won't mean losing quality, I did that and it all still felt great.

Kordanor, stop searching for excuses and buy the goddamned game already! :D

Last edited:
No no. I refuse to use that technology.
I barely adapted to youtube and you expect me to to go for audio streams too? Nevar! :)

I'm fascinated by Japanese culture, and I've enjoyed a small number of JRPGs. They frequently mystify me, though, as does anime, in which it seems compulsory that every story ends with people turning into giant tentacle monsters and tearing the place up.

I feel sorry for gamers who claim that they've never owned a console system. They've missed out on a lot of good games over the years.

Yep. Just give me like 5 or 10 names. I am pretty sure I would not consider to play one of them even if it was a PC game.

I feel sorry for gamers who claim that they've never owned a console system. They've missed out on a lot of good games over the years.
Don't feel sorry for us. We maybe missed a title or two. Not a lot.
And only because of contracted exclusives and nose not good enough to make money by porting stuff.
With PC we got so much MOAR.
"Last of Us" is the only one I would have liked to play from them. ^^
Never even heard of it so… I'll wait for port and if it's any good, the port will happen.
I'm fascinated by Japanese culture, and I've enjoyed a small number of JRPGs. They frequently mystify me, though, as does anime, in which it seems compulsory that every story ends with people turning into giant tentacle monsters and tearing the place up.
What on earth are you talking about? That's not anime. Could be some hentai material though you watched while was underaged.

Back
Top Bottom