Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel

I have yet to play any of the games in this series, despite hearing many good things about several of them.

I just have too many other games to play. Not that these are deficient or lower on my list or anything, just too. Many. Games!

I have the same problem. If you enjoy story and characters the most in the games, though, then move Trails in the Sky duology to near the top of your list. But not Cold Steel, it's an alright, but average game in terms of story and characters, you honestly won't miss out on a masterpiece if you ignore it.

Truth be told, in my current little RPG bubble, and this is subject to change based on my mood at the time, heh, but I'm currently into gameplay-heavy RPGs and strong mechanics over story and characters!

I hear Legend of Heroes has some strong gameplay elements and stuff as well, though, so that's cool. :)

If I don't really care much about story, mostly about gameplay, which game is better?

Neither.
If you're after gameplay where story that is so irrelevant even game designers don't know what's it about, buy Ubisoft's Division on PC or Bungie's Destiny on consoles.

LoH is all about the story.

Neither.
If you're after gameplay where story that is so irrelevant even game designers don't know what's it about, buy Ubisoft's Division on PC or Bungie's Destiny on consoles.

LoH is all about the story.

Aren't those shooters? I don't care about story, but I do want good tactical gameplay in my JRPGs.

These aren't tactical JRPGs, though, although they have some tactical elements.

I can't really speak of gameplay in an objective way, I'm too biased for Trails in the Sky and against Cold of Steel.

The only thing I can tell you that would be objective and reliable is the difficulty. First Chapter and Cold of Steel are quite easy, First Chapter being the first in the series and Cold Steel being an attempt to reach wider audiences. I heard that Cold Steel II was made more difficult again after compaints from the fans. Second Chapter is the most difficult of all translated games, hands down, it can take you half an hour battle some boss, so it would probably fit your desires the most. Cold of Steel probably has the most polished gameplay, being the latest in the series, but I'm too biased to evaluate it reliably :)

These aren't tactical JRPGs, though, although they have some tactical elements.

I can't really speak of gameplay in an objective way, I'm too biased for Trails in the Sky and against Cold of Steel.

The only thing I can tell you that would be objective and reliable is the difficulty. First Chapter and Cold of Steel are quite easy, First Chapter being the first in the series and Cold Steel being an attempt to reach wider audiences. I heard that Cold Steel II was made more difficult again after compaints from the fans. Second Chapter is the most difficult of all translated games, hands down, it can take you half an hour battle some boss, so it would probably fit your desires the most. Cold of Steel probably has the most polished gameplay, being the latest in the series, but I'm too biased to evaluate it reliably :)
I actually played Trails in the Sky for a while but abandoned it, made the mistake of playing hard and found that enemies were too tough, like one-shotting me, and I was always low on crystals (I hate grinding with a passion). Restarted on normal but something else grabbed my attention before I reached the point I reached the first time.

I actually played Trails in the Sky for a while but abandoned it, made the mistake of playing hard and found that enemies were too tough, like one-shotting me, and I was always low on crystals (I hate grinding with a passion). Restarted on normal but something else grabbed my attention before I reached the point I reached the first time.

Actually, I found out why I thought the game was so easy…. I don't die often, but on a few hard fights I did and pressed on retry and won them… in the last chapter I finally realized, that each time you press retry the fight will get easier.

So it doesn't matter on what difficulty you play, as the battles gets easier on each retry until you win them :S I felt a bit stupid after noticing this… I know some other JRPG's has this mechanic but I didn't know such an old game would have it, so I was kind of surprised. Since these games are mostly about the story though, and not that much about the gameplay I don't mind so much, it is actually quite convenient to know that if you fail on first try, you'll win the fight on the second one.

If this was something like Ogre Tactics though… then that kind of mechanics would really piss me off.

I didn't know where to say this, but if anyone is interested, another game in the series is being translated - Trails in they Sky: The 3rd. Naturally this is a continuation of Trails in the Sky rather than Trails of Cold Steel. I'm surprised they decided to go for it, I thought the franchise would die in the West. But I guess since they're translating next Cold Steel games they can't avoid translating older ones, since they're all connected and the series would be incoherent otherwise.

I was under the impression that the first two Trails in the Sky games ended up being quite successful on PC, and that's why they're translating the 3rd.

Me too. A good game, almost no advertisment, it sells and people love it? Translate all sequels!

Actually, I found out why I thought the game was so easy…. I don't die often, but on a few hard fights I did and pressed on retry and won them… in the last chapter I finally realized, that each time you press retry the fight will get easier.

So it doesn't matter on what difficulty you play, as the battles gets easier on each retry until you win them :S I felt a bit stupid after noticing this… I know some other JRPG's has this mechanic but I didn't know such an old game would have it, so I was kind of surprised. Since these games are mostly about the story though, and not that much about the gameplay I don't mind so much, it is actually quite convenient to know that if you fail on first try, you'll win the fight on the second one.

If this was something like Ogre Tactics though… then that kind of mechanics would really piss me off.

I disabled that option before starting the game (I'm weird like that, first thing I do when I install a game, before even watching the intro, is explore all the options). Didn't realize at the time that I could re-enable it without restarting.

I was under the impression that the first two Trails in the Sky games ended up being quite successful on PC, and that's why they're translating the 3rd.
I realize I'm a month late to reply, but:
http://steamspy.com/search.php?s=trails

If the sales figures for the second game are accurate, that's not very inspiring. This is why I was surprised they decided to translate another one of the older games.

As for battles and gameplay, I found TOCS satisfying...plus I liked how polished it was. I dunno. I just really like it, and I can't really put my finger on why.

I agree with Elel on one point though...Trails in the Sky is definitely the best. TOCS looks a little nicer, though, imo, and it adds some fun new gameplay features (especially in battles).

I realize I'm a month late to reply, but:
http://steamspy.com/search.php?s=trails

If the sales figures for the second game are accurate, that's not very inspiring. This is why I was surprised they decided to translate another one of the older games.

I adored TitS, then bought TitS2 and got totally disappointed, didn't want to buy TitS3 although some said lead characters are not the same because of being bitten by a snake previously. I bet my example is the reason behind those numbers - perhaps the third game is awsome, but the second being basically the first in terms of areas and mobs ruined it's sales.

As I saw from screenshots on it's Steam page, not just characters but areas are definetly not the same as in TitS, I'm definetly buying ToCS.

First 110 hours of PC version video:

This makes it instabuy for me, as someone already pointed:
the footage at 1:25:35 shows instant loading between screen transitions, whereas the console versions would take at least four seconds (and much longer in "heavier" areas).

However, the video is showing mushroom prompts probably because being played on xb360 whatnotpad.
After my instabuy of the game, if it insults me that way, it'll be instathumbdown then instarefund.

So, noone cares about PC release of this game? Well I do.

The first patch is out, it fixes certain things on specific setups I never experienced on my PC and enhances turbo mode even more:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/538680/discussions/0/1471967615843483293/

Bug fixes

•Fix text rendering corruption issue when button prompts are displayed on some systems

•Fix Depth of Field issue in cutscenes on Intel GPUs with MSAA enabled

•Do not close the game when Alt+F4 is pressed and another program has the focus

•Fixed some minor text issues

New Features:

•Added an option to skip all movies

•Added configurable speedup factors for Turbo mode
(separate factors for battle and field exploration are possible)

•Added a "Mouse Sensitivity" option to the mouse / keyboard configuration menu
(also reworked mouse camera controls to eliminate acceleration)

Also, for those who want the original voiceover:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/538680/discussions/0/1471967615843338866/
So today i picked up the ps3 voiced files, and after 3 hours coverting every ♥♥♥♥ing voice file its finally here. I tested it and it worked.

Just go to the local files, Data, voice and paste everything there. Its not fulled voiced in japanese because the steam version has more voiced dialogues than the ps3 version. So if you don't want to mix everything just delete everything inside the voice file and paste the patch there. Hope you enjoy it, if you are having problems, just message me.

https://pastebin.com/jJqje5jX
As english dub earlygame is good, I probably won't insist on the original voiceover in my game. However, if it starts to annoy me...

I presume the original voice over is not english ? Do you know whatever the native language is ?
-
Btw is the game any good ?

The game is awesome (dunno about the PC version, I played it in my PS4). The original voice is Japanese as this is a JRPG.

Back
Top Bottom