Final Fantasy XV Demo Video

Well that killed any interest I had in the game. The early screenshots made the game look like it could actually be something interesting, but both videos posted here look, well, dull. I have to admit that I did not watch the entire top video from start to end, but rather skipped ahead quite a bit, but what I could see was some really sub-par looking platforming and combat that looked really boring. The second video made combat look a bit better, but nothing special. I got some The Last Story vibes from it, and The Last Story did not have a spectacular combat system (it was functional but shallow). The Last Story is by the way a game I could not recommend to anyone due to its terrible framerate (framerate should not be in the single digits).

Also, what's up with the graphics? While graphics is hardly the most important thing in the world, FF games have been ahead of the curve since at least FF6. The trailers make it look like something from late last gen with its textures, animation quality, shadows & draw distance. Not saying that it will be game breaking, I just find it interesting that an FF game is for once behind the curve.

The music in the scene that starts at 6:30 of the video reminds me of one of the tracks from the original Conan The Barbarian. :)

Good catch. That's shockingly similar.

Well that killed any interest I had in the game. The early screenshots made the game look like it could actually be something interesting, but both videos posted here look, well, dull. I have to admit that I did not watch the entire top video from start to end, but rather skipped ahead quite a bit, but what I could see was some really sub-par looking platforming and combat that looked really boring. The second video made combat look a bit better, but nothing special. I got some The Last Story vibes from it, and The Last Story did not have a spectacular combat system (it was functional but shallow). The Last Story is by the way a game I could not recommend to anyone due to its terrible framerate (framerate should not be in the single digits).

Also, what's up with the graphics? While graphics is hardly the most important thing in the world, FF games have been ahead of the curve since at least FF6. The trailers make it look like something from late last gen with its textures, animation quality, shadows & draw distance. Not saying that it will be game breaking, I just find it interesting that an FF game is for once behind the curve.

Good catch. That's shockingly similar.

As far as I understand, it was initially developed for PS3 or if it was even PSP Vita... so I guess that might explain it.

Seems a really odd demo. Shouldn't they be demonstrating the actual game??
Between that cute Carbuncle (is it?)
It sure acted "carbunclish" with that Ruby Light power.

P.S. Also thought of the Conan movie. If little fluffy had turned into a snake, I would have been MOST amused!

Warning: Incoming snark.

Has anyone seen the GameInformer pre-beta footage of the game? Honestly, I think it looks really bad, except for a few cool monster moments at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5njWA_O2UKI

Some highlights:

Throwing a grenade at a rhinoceros, and then giraffes join in on the fight. Mmk.

I think these games need to stop trotting out these native, non-aggressive species to these game worlds. Oh, look, a level one Koala Bear! Let's KILL IT!! It's just dumb.

Loved the car-pushing sequence while the main character complains how much it sucks. This is 21st century gameplay.

Also love the "flavor text" during other scenes which consists of more complaining. "God, I thought we'd NEVER get here. Ugh..."

Gas-pumping cutscene. Nice.

4 what appear to be N'Sync singers who didn't make the band sitting around in a room doing nothing cutscene. All wearing black. Edgy.

A bunch of driving through empty terrain. Chocobo-riding, cool, desert wasteland and depressing scenery, not so cool.

Malboro looks bad-ass, Leviathan looks cool, definitely some cool looking monsters near the end.

But, I don't know. I don't see this being their big mega hit that they are hoping it to be at this point. Then again, it's pre-beta, so anything is possible, I guess. Maybe I'm wrong. Taking a quick peek at the YouTube comments and everyone seems to love what they see, so what do I know? :)

Don't know what you mean, Fluent. It's a weird, hipster JRPG, with crappy-looking twitch combat and a magnificent console UI. This has RPGWatch Game of the Year written all over it.

:p

Don't know what you mean, Fluent. It's a weird, hipster JRPG, with crappy-looking twitch combat and a magnificent console UI. This has RPGWatch Game of the Year written all over it.

:p

Surprisingly, the twitch combat doesn't bother me *too* much. I did enjoy Xenoblade: Chronicles (although that wasn't quite Twitch, it was more like real-time turn-based, heh.) and Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning a whole lot.

The combat in other videos looked a bit tactical, at least. Not simply all button-mashing.

Console UI, eh, another thing that doesn't bother me much. I grew up mostly being a console player anyway, so, yeah.

I dunno. I understand this is Pre-Beta footage, but it just screams "flop" to me. Maybe they aren't showing any good stuff yet. I did like what I saw in that other video with the Carbuncle, magical woods, etc.

This video, though. Ugh. RIP Final Fantasy series. :p

Last edited:
I would have pre-ordered the game if they had hit a big pot-hole while they were driving around with the top down and that guy was kneeling in his seat to talk to the guys in the back. Pop! Out of the car he goes! Next time, wear your seat belts you stupid kids!

Though driving around with the top down so much does explain their hair.

Last edited:
Bumped into this YouTube video regarding summoning in FF 15. Those shots of Leviathan… oh man! Must not pre-order, must not pre-order!

You know...I've been biting my tongue about FFXV for the last few months, terrified I'd be the only one that wants to throw rotten vegetables at it. This game looks like one big joke.

And I'm glad I'm not alone. Thanks to everyone who's thrown shade at this game for making me feel vindicated. :)

You know…I've been biting my tongue about FFXV for the last few months, terrified I'd be the only one that wants to throw rotten vegetables at it. This game looks like one big joke.

And I'm glad I'm not alone. Thanks to everyone who's thrown shade at this game for making me feel vindicated. :)

I did a complete 180 turn on it after seeing that gameplay video I posted. I mean, it looks bad. I do not see this being the big hit they are hoping for to revitalize the series, I just don't.

Sadly, it seems so far removed from what many of us grew up with and made us fall in love with the series in the first place. :(

So, as I said earlier, R.I.P. Final Fantasy. :(

Looks pretty good to me. The real deciding factor is going to be how the systems actually work, though, and whether the story is up to par.

Sadly, it seems so far removed from what many of us grew up with and made us fall in love with the series in the first place.
Firstly - exactly what is so far removed?

Secondly - so what? If it's fun then it's worth playing. Why does it have to be fun for the same reason Final Fantasy 7 (or whatever you grew up with) was fun?

I'm just speaking on what I saw in the gameplay video I posted.

The thing I noticed immediately, though, was the 4 "dressed in all black" bros being the main characters. Final Fantasy characters used to be colorful and more distinctive, like in the NES/SNES games.

The open-world itself looks bleak and depressing rather than magical. Too realistic looking and feeling giving a sense that it's a bit uninspired, in some ways.

However, Final Fantasy 7 started pretty bleak, too.

Don't think I'll be a big fan of the road trip theme in the game.

These are just early things I noticed. The game can still be fun for anyone. Fun is subjective. I honestly don't think it's going to be this huge hit for them, but that's just my gut instinct after watching the video.

Yeah. I think they're going for a kind of whole testosterone feel with this one. There was some controversy over the devs deciding on an all-male cast, and it being a simulation of being a womanizer or something. Idk. I found my lip curling up at it and I closed the tab. My lip is curling up again. Can't…keep it down…

I think they wanted to borrow from GTA 5. And unless they've got a really talented set of writers/designers like GTA 5 had (disgusting, but talented), it's doomed to be half-successful and shovel more dirt onto Final Fantasy's coffin.

Last edited:
FF7 started pretty bleak??

Cloud starts out as a mercenary for an ecological terrorist group. He helps blow up a mako reactor. On the train, you hear about how awful that was for the people that happened to be working close by. Then your entire neighborhood is flattened in order to kill your group off (you make a daring escape... well, a few of you do). Then we hear the story about how your Cloud's home town was destroyed by his mentor after he went mad. Barrett's story of how he lost his arm. Cid's story of how his rocket didn't take off. Cloud almost kills his own girlfriend - then she dies anyway. Two thirds of the way through the game, Cloud is in a wheelchair drooling on himself! Even the final scene of the game shows the city you started in completely destroyed.
Cute characters and colorful landscapes - but a very bleak story, particularly for the gaming crowd. (I think that might be why the story was so refreshing.)

I actually wouldn't worry about the landscape, either. You know how FF's are! There's going to be a desert, a forest, a snowscape, a big city, a small village, probably some underwater location... they'll lead you by the nose through the whole world then (eventually) let you go where you want.

Aubrielle - yeah, assuming those are the only 4 characters. Are they? Or are they the only ones allowed early in the game? Because that gal dealing with Leviathan sure looks like she would be a player character to me.

The recent FF's definitely have been a let down so there's no way I would buy this one as fast as I did with FF 13.

But the setting of FF7 seems miles better than what I've seen from FFXV thus far.

The setting of FF7 is still incredibly interesting today. The starting area of Midgar alone is packed with atmosphere, details and a very interesting feel to it.

FFXV's areas don't look as inspired to me. Overly drab in some ways, too realistic or modern-looking, in some ways.

I also think the "4 bros theme" is just not that appealing to most fans of the series.

Last edited:
Aubrielle - yeah, assuming those are the only 4 characters. Are they? Or are they the only ones allowed early in the game? Because that gal dealing with Leviathan sure looks like she would be a player character to me.

The recent FF's definitely have been a let down so there's no way I would buy this one as fast as I did with FF 13.

I'm just going on what the devs said earlier in production. If they did add a chick as an actual playable character, I'd be hugely surprised.

Lol, that snake chick in video..this even beats Witcher creature design.

I think they wanted to borrow from GTA 5.
GTA 5 is still selling like a cure.
Which is IMO a sad thing.

That game for sure has nice visuals (PC version!), radio music was selected almost perfectly, superb character writing during about dozen of main missions.

But that's it! Everything else is ignorable, annoying, repetitive and most of times utterly boring. On a whole perhaps 20% of the game is fun, the rest of it is utter garbage.
I can't understand and in fact refuse to even try to understand the praise GTA 5 got from critics. Yes, it's a good game, but it's not more than that, it's not a musthave masterpiece metacritic score suggests.

I really hope noone, especially Square Enix who proved plenty of times they can make a fantastic product (TR reboot or CR2 on phones for example), will borrow stuff from GTA 5 designs.

Final Fantasy XV Universe Trailer got posted today: https://youtu.be/Ao-lYm5ryO4

That's the game, the movie, the anime series, and the fragging PINBALL GAME. Now I'm getting a bad feeling about this. (And ripping off the Elder Scrolls music certainly doesn't help.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom