Gothic 3 Please help with increasing distance

Warmskin

Watcher
I'm playing G3 with the 1.74 CP and I also installed the 'ultra ini' patch, but I'm really not completely sure if the ini patch is actually working. The game looks great and runs pretty well if I turn a few of the options down (just a little) on the main details page in the game. I have: Windows7 64 Home Premium, Pentium i7 950 cpu, nVidia GTX 285, 9 gigs ram, and tons of HD space. My complaint is seeing further with detail. The distant mountains are all 'grayish' with very little detail. As I turn from side to side a little, the tops of some of the mountains just kind of disappear. I know the 1.74 patch works because it tells me I'm using it when the main menu comes up. I don't know if the 'ultra-ini' file works, though. When I change some of the numbers in that file I don't seem to notice a difference. I have it in the ini folder inside the Gothic III folder where I assume it's supposed to go. Is there somewhere else I need to have the contents of this 'ge3.ini' installed? Also, I would be happy to leave everything alone (as is) if I just knew *exactly* what ini files to change (increase) to get better distance. And, is DOF (depth of field) in the main 'in game' menu supposed to be on or off? I know that sounds like a really dumb question, but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. I'm playing in 1920 x 1200 (16x10). I would really appreciate some help. Thanks!

And, is DOF (depth of field) in the main 'in game' menu supposed to be on or off? I know that sounds like a really dumb question, but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. I'm playing in 1920 x 1200 (16x10). I would really appreciate some help. Thanks!

DOF just adds a bit of blur in the distance. It actually kind of defeats the purpose of what you are trying to achieve with the ultra ini settings since you would on the one hand increase your viewing distance detail via the ini and on the other hand blur out far distance detail via enabling DOF.
Personally, I prefer to turn DOF off for sharper textures, especially and even more so if 16x anisotropic filtering is enabled.

Thanks very much - I'll leave DOF off, then. Any idea about which values to set to increase how far I can see in the ini file? Appreciate your help.

Thanks very much - I'll leave DOF off, then. Any idea about which values to set to increase how far I can see in the ini file? Appreciate your help.

No, not sure about that. I'd have to Google that as well but what I would recommend to you instead anyway would be to grab PC Games Hardware's Ultra-Detail-Ini. That one should have the highest possible settings and it has been used by thousands of gamers so it's tested and proven.
The page I linked to is in German but should be easy to navigate. Just click on the red download button on the right. Then in the small frame to the left select the appropriate PCGH ini download, i.e. either "Geforce PCGH -Ultra-Ini [3,00KB]" if you have a nVidia graphics card or "Radeon-Schattenfix PCGH-Ultra-Ini [3,00KB]" if you have an ATI Radeon card. "Schattenfix" means "shadows fix" by the way since there are issues with the display of the shadows on ATI cards.
The other files (Forsaken Gods/Götterdämmerung) are for the add-on and not of interest to you (yet?).

Back
Top Bottom