DA:Inquisition - Control Scheme Mod

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@DSOGaming Dragon Age: Inquisition has a new control scheme and camera mod.

Modder ‘n1ftucal’ has released a new version of his Intuitive Controls mod for Dragon Age Inquisition. As its title suggests, this mod overhauls the game’s controls and camera, allowing more fluid and intuitive gameplay. As such, it is now feasible to play without frequent pauses or cumbersome camera adjustments.

[...]
Thanks Couchpotato!

More information.

Had another go at this a few months back. I think it's very good overall, but there's just too much filler content for my tastes.

The main quest and some of the side stuff is quite good, though - and I really enjoy the visual variety in the various areas. The character progression is also strong - with tons of toys to play around with, and once you get used to the combat, it's servicable, if not ideal.

It came very close to being truly great - and I hope they'll reduce the MMO filler crap and focus on the more interesting content for the next DA.

As for this mod, I'm not clear on exactly what it does - but I found the control scheme "ok-ish" as long as you don't expect full tactical control.

The AI "scripts" are too simplistic - but on the upside they're extremely easy to configure and they work ok for the most part.

Had another go at this a few months back. I think it's very good overall, but there's just too much filler content for my tastes.

The main quest and some of the side stuff is quite good, though - and I really enjoy the visual variety in the various areas. The character progression is also strong - with tons of toys to play around with, and once you get used to the combat, it's servicable, if not ideal.

It came very close to being truly great - and I hope they'll reduce the MMO filler crap and focus on the more interesting content for the next DA.

I really hope some one create mod which will remove all the filler stuff and give the main quest and the interesting side quests and I will be all over this game once again.

I spent like 80 hours on this and gave up about 70% of the way due to boredom and I really want to finish it and the DLC but can't stand the MMO filler crap.

I read somewhere that DAI was suppoed to be MMO when they started or very least some sort of multiplayer game and it shows and suffers for it sadly :(

I really hope some one create mod which will remove all the filler stuff and give the main quest and the interesting side quests and I will be all over this game once again.

I spent like 80 hours on this and gave up about 70% of the way due to boredom and I really want to finish it and the DLC but can't stand the MMO filler crap.

I read somewhere that DAI was suppoed to be MMO when they started or very least some sort of multiplayer game and it shows and suffers for it sadly :(
I'll quote one review from 2015.
If one squints, it's easy to imagine Inquisition as an MMO. The quest design is eerily similar. MMOs are time sinks, and it's why I haven't bothered with them. But I understand their appeal. MMOs serve as terrific venues to spend time with people. It's a glorified chat room. Storytelling and handcrafted content are sacrificed for the enhanced social experience. Recently at Giant Bomb, I wrote about how the MMO-ification of video games was beginning to blur the lines between single-player and multiplayer. If you're a fan of single-player, the trends are worrying.

"In Halo, it's a great singleplayer experience greatly complimented by its co-op and multiplayer. It doesn't feel like one is sacrificed for the other. In Destiny, it's a great multiplayer experience that just so happens to include a single player experience, even it's not really recommended."

Inquisition is not an MMO. It's MMO-like content without the benefit of hanging with friends.
Agree 100% with quote. It was still better then Dragon Age 2 at least.:)

Yeah, that was really unfortunate - because the game had such potential to be a great Dragon Age sequel.

But you can sort of tell that Bioware has become complacent in terms of the side-quest content. The same was true in Andromeda - where there's a ton of filler nonsense with very little handcrafted content in many of the side quests.

It felt like a Ubisoft grinder at times.

I do like huge open world games - and I do appreciate optional filler here and there, but I don't enjoy the stuff that's obviously cookie cutter. It feels almost procedural in some ways, which is just not my kind of content.

The mod seems useless to myself. The default controls were fine. However if the mod author prefer the new controls good for himself.

Last edited:
But you can sort of tell that Bioware has become complacent in terms of the side-quest content. The same was true in Andromeda - where there's a ton of filler nonsense with very little handcrafted content in many of the side quests.

There is nothing procedural or random about DAI side quests, all 276 of them are exactly the same in each playthrough and most are tied to the zone story they are in. That's the definition of handcrafted as far as I know.

They are also optional, you can finish the game in 30 hours without doing most of that stuff.

DAI is one of my case study for "if it doesn't have a cutscene, it's filler shit" that tells me RPG players aren't gamers anymore. I expect DA4 to be a 10 hour long cutscene with a single boss fight at the end at this point too.

There is nothing procedural or random about DAI side quests, all 276 of them are exactly the same in each playthrough and most are tied to the zone story they are in. That's the definition of handcrafted as far as I know.

They are also optional, you can finish the game in 30 hours without doing most of that stuff.

DAI is one of my case study for "if it doesn't have a cutscene, it's filler shit" that tells me RPG players aren't gamers anymore. I expect DA4 to be a 10 hour long cutscene with a single boss fight at the end at this point too.

I never said they were random or procedural, so please don't use your imagination and stick to what I said.

I said they (they being many of the quests - not all of them) were filler quests with *very little* handcrafted content about them, which means that all those astrology puzzles and "find glowing orb" quests were made up of identical assets, and re-used over and over and over.

Obviously, you can argue that because a level designer used a blueprint, dragged it into the level - and made some fine adjustments - that means the content is 100% handcrafted.

But that's not how I think of the concept.

I said the filler content ALMOST FELT like procedural content.

Obviously, you thought it was much more interesting and that's cool.

But please don't think that your standards are the only standards that are ok to have.

Its not about cutscene etc and you know it. People complain Withcer 3 has lots of cutscenes! DAI felt like "check list" based game. Or as Darth says its based around "blueprint".
You go to new zone and you are presented with a "check list" or "blueprint". If you have done couple of large zones in the game, you will immediately spot this in the next zones. You see the game and not the world. It breaks immersion and it becomes boring. Part of the problem here is the players, in that we have completionist tendencies and we don't know what to skip and what to do and we get burnt out. But its also problem with designers too as they don't know how to hide these "check list" or "blueprint".

Also the game does very bad job of indicating whats is "optional". A guy in random location asking you to kill 10 rats sometimes wants you to kill 10 rats but other times its start of nice quest chain. You have no idea what it is. Yes they have mix crappy quest with good quest as well but the ratio of crappy quest to good quest like like 10 to 1 in DAI.

The point is that DAI was single player game. It doesn't need grind which is found in MMOs. The game is designed badly and there is no question about it.

It's fine to have it be optional - and, indeed, I prefer most things be optional.

But I don't sit down to play huge open world CRPGs only to skip content and focus on the main quest.

In fact, I PREFER the side content and doing my own thing. So, the content needs to qualify for what I think is interesting to experience.

In that way, we're all very different it seems.

Some people prefer the W3 way - where most of the quality content is about quests full of dialogue, others prefer the DA:I way - where some apparently found the side content interesting and distinct. Personally, I prefer the Skyrim/FO3/FO4 way.

It's all good, really.

It's fine to have it be optional - and, indeed, I prefer most things be optional.

But I don't sit down to play huge open world CRPGs only to skip content and focus on the main quest.

In fact, I PREFER the side content and doing my own thing. So, the content needs to qualify for what I think is interesting to experience.

In that way, we're all very different it seems.

Some people prefer the W3 way - where most of the quality content is about quests full of dialogue, others prefer the DA:I way - where some apparently found the side content interesting and distinct. Personally, I prefer the Skyrim/FO3/FO4 way.

It's all good, really.

Too moderate a post. You sound high.
Which is all good really :)

Wait, what you call filler side quests are the astrariums and shards collections? Both of which are in the collection tab of the quest log (along a bunch of other things) and are unmarked until you touch one…

I though you were actually talking about side quests you stumble upon while exploring that were not main/companion quests. I never bothered finishing any of the collections in the game, never saw the point.

Also, DAI does a good job at indicating what is "optional". Outside the collection not triggering until you touch one, if you pay attention to what Scout Harding tells you the first time you enter a zone she points you to the zone quest chain(s) starting point and place of interests. Outside of what Harding tells you, everything else you can find in the zones are going to be mostly text based lore/stories or boss killing.

Wait, what you call filler side quests are the astrariums and shards collections? Both of which are in the collection tab of the quest log (along a bunch of other things) and are unmarked until you touch one…

I though you were actually talking about side quests you stumble upon while exploring that were not main/companion quests. I never bothered finishing any of the collections in the game, never saw the point.

Also, DAI does a good job at indicating what is "optional". Outside the collection not triggering until you touch one, if you pay attention to what Scout Harding tells you the first time you enter a zone she points you to the zone quest chain(s) starting point and place of interests. Outside of what Harding tells you, everything else you can find in the zones are going to be mostly text based lore/stories or boss killing.

Again, it doesn't matter if the filler is optional - because I don't want to skip content and focus on the main story.

I love open world freeform games for a reason, or I'd just play linear narrative-driven games instead.

It was a variety of stuff. It's not like I write down every quest or activity I find unengaging so I can reference it later.

Plenty of actual side quests that weren't collections felt repetitive and uninteresting as well - but I have no idea of the percentage of good versus bad.

This is the modern Bioware norm, however. You can trace much of it back to DA:O and Mass Effect - where both games also have a TON of "optional" side quests where you have to travel to the other end of the world to talk to an NPC - and then go back and talk to the first NPC and get a "quest complete" notification because you handed them some object or whatever. Andromeda and DA:I were just worse in that way.

Same goes for all those other collection thingies where you have to gather X amount of this or that material.

The game is simply full of trivial crap that bored me to tears. A ton of busywork - including much of the stuff happening at the War Table - or whatever they call it.

Crafting system was the same thing. You had to fiddle with a ton of menus to craft the simplest things - and so much of it felt like a chore.

Same goes for the freeform exploration. You can go explore caves and dungeons - but you won't find much of interest there. Also, I found the presentation of journals and notes very off-putting because of the strangely modern font - and the writing was a little dry and overly verbose for my tastes.

This is another area where I prefer Skyrim or FO3/FO4 to games like DA:I and Witcher 3. Even if it's just a little thing, I much prefer actually finding a piece of paper with what actually looks like handwriting - or an actual book with pages you can turn - instead of yet another obviously digital wall of text.

Incidentally, both DA:I and W3 felt similar in terms of the environment interaction. As in, that was very limited - where games like Skyrim or FO3/FO4 have a lot of stuff you can interact with and move around - and items are actually objects you can throw or see in the world, where they're just entries in a list in DA:I and W3.

So, it's a combination of things that make certain games appeal to me less than others.

For some people, I'm sure all of that doesn't really matter - and they don't care about being reminded that it's a game made by a level designer using an editor.

Personally, I like to forget that as much as possible - and I like my dungeons and worlds full of stuff to mess with and have a visceral or diegetic connection to what's going on.

So, maybe it was more about the presentation of quests than the actual writing behind them.

To me, it was so obvious that they were using an established engine and adapted a kind of CRPG that would have been better suited for an engine with more tactile interaction and a higher fidelity of objects.

Again, we're all different and we like different things.

There's no reason to assume I don't like CRPGs or that I didn't play DA:I "correctly" - I'm just a different person with different preferences.

I have more experience with games than most people you will ever come across, so I think it would be helpful to understand that I'm not just making shit up to annoy you.

I really like what I like, and I don't casually form opinions with no thought put into them.

I've played more than 100 hours of DA:I - and I've seen what it has and what it doesn't have.

Back
Top Bottom