Bastion

curious

liberty or license
played the demo yesterday and it was quite charming and well produced for an indie game--published by warner brothers though? also i sware the narrator was ron perlman but i could be wrong. it's on sale at steam right now, but i've bought way to many games lately and theres now way i'll play it before holiday steam sales. one thing i will say though is i'm hesitant to call it an rpg though it's not as much of a stretch as say a zelda game. beautiful and charming and it reminds me a lot of trine in a way too, which someday i have to finish as well...

also i sware the narrator was ron perlman but i could be wrong.
It's not Ron Perlman, but Logan Cunningham. I could have sworn he was a much older man, but he's pretty young for his world-weary voice (judging from his picture at least; the last one on the list of the crew at Supergiant Games -> http://supergiantgames.com/?page_id=2).

The game is quite good, but it's not an RPG. Wouldn't even call it an RPG lite. You get to choose the weapons you use, a special weapon skill from a short(ish) list, and perks (of sort) for your character in the form of tonics/potions. (EDIT: And you can improve/modify your weapons.) That's about it. Like Dhruin said, it's an action/adventure game.

I played it through and enjoyed it. The narration is excellent and adds a lot to the game experience. Without it, Bastion would be just another action/adventure game among many, but with it, it becomes much more. It becomes a compelling story and something very personal, like… um, like you'd be listening to someone tell you a good story by the fireplace. One could think the narration is just a gimmick, which would get old fast, but it isn't and it doesn't. It is the heart and soul of the game. There are some really good lines there and comments for many incidential things you do. It is for the most part excellent.

Speaking of excellent, the music in this game is excellent too. Steam sale has a bundle with the soundtrack added, I'd recommend getting it, the tunes are that good, IMO.

On the negative side, the game is a bit short, but I didn't mind. What there is is good and the game doesn't overstay its welcome (by stretching the content too thin) and it is an okay lenght for such a "semi-indie" game. Also, as the game world is a collection of floating bits of land, there are those annoying moments when you fall off a ledge or through a hole, when you thought you were still on solid ground. But that's about it for the negatives for me (and I really don't count the length as a negative, but I know there are folks who get miffed by relatively short games).

I liked the game and would recommend it to anyone who likes action/adventure games. It's good. I'd give it four stars out of five.

Last edited:
I agree, it is not a CRPG. It is good though. The only outstanding part is the narration, which works incredibly well for setting the mood, but the rest of the game is also quite good. It is an all round well crafted game, that I would consider well worth a playthrough for anyone who enjoys action/adventure games.

I hope bastion proves to be a success, so that we can see more games from this studio.

Back
Top Bottom