Code of the Savage - Ultima Style RPG

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Code of the Savage is an Ultima style RPG now on Kickstarter seeking a modest goal.

Introduction

Code of the Savage is a tale of vengeance and survival. After escaping a slave ship, you have found yourself in chains and washed ashore on the island Kingdom of Daneth. You must find your way in a brutal and unforgiving world where nothing is black and white.

Deep and disturbing quandaries underpin the driving force of the game.

Code of the Savage is a no-holds-barred classic western style RPG. Inspired by the greats from the 80-90’s with a modern flair. There is a strong emphasis on player freedom through social and moral interactions… Will you choose to fire bomb the brothel, the church… Or both? Will you do it for money, glory or just because?

I think a problem with many of today's RPGs is that they expect you to know and care about their lore and backstory before you even take your first steps. In Code of the Savage, you and the main character are totally new to Daneth. So I don't want you to know the lore and backstory straight away. I want you to discover these things on your own terms as you play the game and interact with its inhabitants.

I wanted to create a role playing game that brought me back to my gamer days as a child on the C64 and MS-DOS PC. There is just something lacking in today's RPG's that I miss. Tired of micro-transactions, and randomly generated worlds; I am creating a world that is hand crafted with purpose. Essentially, I am creating the game that I want to play.

I believe one of the most important aspects of an RPG is the characters you meet in the game. I have therefore placed a great emphasis on NPC interaction. Each NPC in Code of The Savage has their own story, their own character portrait and a daily schedule. They will, go about their daily lives, going to work, eating and sleeping.

Level up your character and adventure forth to discover the treasures, history, and people of Daneth.

More information.

Dark themes - I don't hold back on what some may consider offensive content. If you're easily offended, Code of The Savage is probably not for you… This is not a "slay the dragon" and "save the princess" RPG.
Not a joke, I'm definetly backing this if it doesn't reach $20K which is stretch goals not for more srtory and content but for phones version.

I had enough of these lame attempts at begging for money and not even bothering with an attack animation, just inane single sprites pushing each other. Check out ARCHON on Commodore 64, it had proper walk-attack animations.

Backed for $10 so lets hope it gets funded.:please:

Yeah backed for 10 AUD, I wish them luck.

How is this different from Balrum? and is there any details of the developer to give some confidence?

Afaik no hunger/thirst and crafting/building, a bit more straightforward battles.

I've been on the same dev forum with the creator of this game(tested an early version) and linked that topic to him, so he can answer your questions.

Looks ok but nothing to really pull me in. Lack of animations and combat look like simple button mashing. Will keep an eye on this though.

Hey this is Geoff, the Developer.

Thanks for the feedback. and Thanks also to those that have backed it so far.

I'm actually considering totally reworking the walk animation and also character sprites so they can have a left and right facing view (similar to how they face in Crashlands and more how the deer move in the video).

The game is still very much in the early stages. The combat system will be a lot more comprehensive than it is right now. I have been very busy writing dialog and books to appear in the game.

I've not played Balrum, so I can't specifically address how It is different from that. All I can tell you is that I am focusing more on the situations that the player finds himself in, and the characters he meets in the game. Such as encountering a priest who is wrestling with his cognitive dissonance railing against the local brothel; calling them a "Den of sluts and whores", and then later finding out that the priest is a frequent and secret patron. I'm peppering the game with situations and characters who have life, and who I hope you remember long after playing the game. I know its a gamble to back a project like this, and I know everything has been done before, but " I'm hoping it will be different to you in this respect.

Anyway thanks again. If anyone has more questions I'd be happy to respond.

Geoff

Woah, spoiler alert Mr developer :p

I never played any of ultima games but your project look intriguing. Good luck with your project! (Good to see Aussies developing cRPG!!)

I'm always happy to see more single character indie RPGs being made. The Eschalon series and Balrum have been some of my favourite games of the last few years.

Thanks for the post Geoff. I am interested enough to keep an eye on it. Is the combat turn based? It looks similar to eschalon where each side takes a turn and the game freezes until each move. Is that correct?

I like what you have to sat about the NPCs in the game. Good luck to you, RPGs are HUGE endeavor.

Geoff, do you expect this to be released on any OS/platform other than Windows? I know that is asking a lot from a small developer.

I'm hoping to release on mobile if there is demand for it, but that's going to be something to consider only after the PC release :) I would have to look into mac release. That is a possibility too.

Thanks for the post Geoff. I am interested enough to keep an eye on it. Is the combat turn based? It looks similar to eschalon where each side takes a turn and the game freezes until each move. Is that correct?
I like what you have to sat about the NPCs in the game. Good luck to you, RPGs are HUGE endeavor.

Thanks Saxon! Basically with the combat, player and move in real time. So I wouldn't call it strictly turn based, but combat pauses while the player either chooses the action he is taking, or choosing a spell to cast (a bit like the real time combat in Xcom games). There certainly is an element of button mashing as you said, but I'm open to suggestions :) Thanks for the comment!
EDIT: At the moment in the video of the combat, its a bit hard to tell when the combat is pausing. I'll need to add something to make that more clear.

I like the overall approach (backed). But the first thing i thought to myself was: where is the party.
Could it be possible to include like 2-3 party members besides your main hero? I dont know, you would not have to include party banter or else (it thats too complex). Just some class variety for combat and skills.

Or add a dog i can control. ;)

Ah and ideally: make it turn based. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom