|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Drakensang - Review @ Games Examiner

Default Drakensang - Review @ Games Examiner

February 19th, 2009, 01:21
The first English web review of Drakensang we know of is up at Game Examiner, with a score of 82%:
While Drakensang might not be the most beautiful RPG you've ever seen, the graphics suffice, and it has much more depth than its low price tag of $29.99 suggests. While I normally cringe at the thought of voice acting in a lower-budget game, the voice overs in Drakensang are actually well done. And, while the writing isn't going to win any awards, it's as good or better than most RPGs.
Drakensang also has a way of really pulling you into the adventure and giving you a sense of story. As you approach the inn, you'll overhear an amazon woman arguing with the inn keeper, and on your way to investigating the mystery of the dark forest, you'll come across two bandits carrying a chest and arguing about which of them should carry the chest next. These small details really breath some life into an old school RPG.
Thanks, Avantenor!
More information.
--
-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

February 19th, 2009, 01:21
Well, I could have written that and more based solely on the Demo!!
--
If God said it, then that settles it!!

[email protected]

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

February 19th, 2009, 02:11
I was thinking the same thing, Corwin! He didn't mention anything that you couldn't learn by playing the demo. I'm glad something is coming out though. I liked King's Bounty, but it got pretty boring for me after the 1st couple islands. I need something a little deeper to sink my teeth into. I'm really hoping that I kill a few hundred hours in Drakensang. Fallout 3 was pretty good, but I enjoy swords and sorcery many times more than post-apoc.
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut

crpgnut

Grumpy Role Player
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

February 19th, 2009, 03:04
It will take weeks, if not months, until we see the first review from somebody who has finished the game. (Not taking into account that our review will come rather quickly when my cough and cold is gone.)

A few 100 hours is unrealistic. Maybe 60-80 hours on a normal run through in the slowest combat mode. Another 20-40 hours if you look under every rock. I'm not sure how big the replay value is when you know the story.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

February 19th, 2009, 03:52
Originally Posted by Gorath View Post
I'm not sure how big the replay value is when you know the story.
I was very tempted to restart the game immediately after finishing it, with a completely different party setup. First time I was fairly focused on bows and some nature magic (myself as Ranger, Forgrimm as a "Dwarven Wall", streetwise Dranor and druid-like healer Gwendala), next time I'm going to try out a lot more magic-heavy classes, which I didn't experience a lot yet. Likewise with professions. And different approaches to some encounters

But I decided to wait a couple months before I do that, to let the story fade a bit.

Not sure how long I played from start to finish, I took a long break right after the second Dragon quest began, although that's when the story picked up a lot.
--
"Mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." ~ Cortez, from The Longest Journey

Arhu

Feline Wizard
Administrator
RPGWatch Team
Original Sin 2 Donor

February 19th, 2009, 14:06
I was pleasantly surprised at the voice acting too, but that's such a small part of what I look for in a game. Ordinarily I read the subtitles myself and skip to the next line. Honestly I could altogether do without voice acting save for cutscenes

Is it true that when you leave an area, you can't return to it?

EvilManagedCare

Sentinel

February 19th, 2009, 14:23
Generally yes. There are ca. 3 hubs you can return to, usually the biggest cities.
It was a pragmatical decision. The budget was too tight for such a game. They had to cut some corners. Leaving the areas open would have meant to find some meaningful purpose for them, which would have cost resources they decided were better spent elsewhere.
It's not as big a deal as it sounds though. All areas combined are absolutely massive. Plus, you cannot accidently leave an area. The game asks for confirmation.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

February 19th, 2009, 14:26
Can I buy this online, and if so - when?

DArtagnan

Mentioned: Post(s)

February 19th, 2009, 14:53
It was on Gamestop yesterday, but it sold out. I saw it on Amazon too. It should be in stores today. I'm not sure about digital downloads yet.
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut

crpgnut

Grumpy Role Player
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

February 19th, 2009, 14:55
Originally Posted by Arhu View Post
I was very tempted to restart the game immediately after finishing it, with a completely different party setup. First time I was fairly focused on bows and some nature magic (myself as Ranger, Forgrimm as a "Dwarven Wall", streetwise Dranor and druid-like healer Gwendala), next time I'm going to try out a lot more magic-heavy classes, which I didn't experience a lot yet. Likewise with professions. And different approaches to some encounters

But I decided to wait a couple months before I do that, to let the story fade a bit.

Not sure how long I played from start to finish, I took a long break right after the second Dragon quest began, although that's when the story picked up a lot.
I always say the same thing but never get to doing it. Every Wizardry game I finish I've always said "I'll play again with this other idea of a party I have". Either I never do it, or if I do it, I quit after 8 hours or so, there's just so much replay value in playing the same story with different classes (as opposed to having different stories and endings)

Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
It was on Gamestop yesterday, but it sold out. I saw it on Amazon too. It should be in stores today. I'm not sure about digital downloads yet.
If it sold out I would be really glad, hopefully it sells well and developers stop thinking traditional RPG is a dead genre.

wolfing

Dalek SasqWatch

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

February 19th, 2009, 15:04
I am just surprised at the low price, after playing the demo, I did not come away thinking that this is a budget title

redman5427

Keeper of the Watch

February 19th, 2009, 15:07
It's not, but THQ / Eidos don't seem to put much trust in the game.
--
A-Van-Te-Nor: A big car full of black hot beverage

Avantenor

Keeper of the Watch

February 19th, 2009, 17:54
After playing Drakensang, I didn't feel the urge of replaying it so soon. I enjoyed it very much, but I think my party was so balanced that I saw all facets of gameplay. I had all kinds of characters in my party, and got a lot our of my mage spell-system wise.

Also, while individual NPCs have different reactions in some situations, they are very few. Occasionally, they make a comment triggered by a location you enter. The comments are well written, but not worth replaying with other characters IMO. Also dialogues for your PC won't change if you choose a different race or class, which might be the most annoying feature of the game.

As you see, I thought that this game was not perfect at all. However, I really, really hope that it does well financially. It is a good game, and the development team is so nice and so dedicated - it would be great to see what they can do with a bigger budget.

Grandor Dragon

Sentinel

February 19th, 2009, 18:47
Gamestop says shipping on the 23rd in the US, Amazon says it's available, but if you look closely at the shipping information it actually predicts 2 to 4 weeks before shipment.

Don't think it's actually available yet.

Melvil

Super Duper Super Sweet

February 19th, 2009, 19:48
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Can I buy this online, and if so - when?
The German-language version of it already.
--
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

February 19th, 2009, 19:48
Originally Posted by Avantenor View Post
It's not, but THQ / Eidos don't seem to put much trust in the game.
Shame on THQ, but it just adds to my very, very negative opinion I have about THQ.
--
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

February 19th, 2009, 20:11
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
The German-language version of it already.
I suck at german

DArtagnan

Mentioned: Post(s)

February 19th, 2009, 21:03
Originally Posted by Melvil View Post
Gamestop says shipping on the 23rd in the US, Amazon says it's available, but if you look closely at the shipping information it actually predicts 2 to 4 weeks before shipment.

Don't think it's actually available yet.

Actually, my local Gamestop said that they had ONE copy coming in, and that it was in shipment and should be at the store tomorrow. I put my $5 on it to hold it. I'm thinking that the orders by the game stores and online retailers are just low and that it's basically insta-backordered in many places.

Though it took a while for me to warm up to it (wasn't terribly thrilled upon my initial impression), I'm happy that I stuck with it. I really liked the mechanics of the old Realms of Arkania games, but the graphics were so muddy (even back then) that I always found them a bit cumbersome. This looks to hold true to the mechanics, has some great charm of its own, and appears to be quite a deep game.

Guess I'll know more tomorrow.

Michael Dean

Watchdog

February 19th, 2009, 21:55
Cool, maybe I'll call my local retailer then.

*Both my shops were supposed to get it today, likely tomorrow. Glad I just finished KOTOR 2. Gonna make a Death Mage character I think.

Anyone know much about the class?

Melvil

Super Duper Super Sweet

February 19th, 2009, 23:15
Bad link in news post.

It should be

http://www.examiner.com/x-544-Games-…-Eye-Review-PC

Thrasher

Wheeee!

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Drakensang - Review @ Games Examiner