Cyberpunk 2077 - Interview @PC Gamer

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
An interview conducted by PC Gamer about Cyberpunk 2077.

Another thing I noticed in that demo is there's a scene where you're walking down an alley and they point out a crime scene on the side and say "Night City's dangerous, crime's happening all the time." What I was curious about is how dynamic or how static Night City is. Is that crime scene something that's always going to be there in that district?

This stuff is going to depend on, we've got dynamic weather and day and night cycles. Things are going to happen differently depending on that time and weather. I can't go into too much detail, but there's going to be a sense of feeling a different space, and how it feels different in those time events, as well.

Okay, so returning to that same area, things will be changing as you go?

Yeah.

Because you're a level designer, I'm curious—this is a roleplaying game and a shooter, I feel like there's a massive challenge in combining those two very big genres and making both parts feel equally satisfying. Level design is so paramount to making a good shooter. How are you designing these environments that enable roleplaying, feel realistic and immersive, but also make for a good shooter experience? The two don't always go hand-in-hand, you know?

I think you hit the nail on the head when you say they don't always go hand-in-hand. But one of the things that's been great to work on this game, from my personal perspective, is that class system. We showed a bit today. There's the three you can have: netrunner, techie, solo. Each of these is going to have a different way to solve a combat encounter or an environmental challenge.

Having that makes this easier, in the sense that because it's about choice, that way there's more options for you to handle those situations differently. Because of that you'll be able to move through the space, and you'll have the traditional sense of that sort of shooter space, but to layer that extra stuff on top, that excitement when you use those abilities for that class system—that's what's made it an exciting thing, from my point of view, to make the levels. And I know the rest of the team, the other level designers, enjoy having those choices.

[...]
More information.

This somehow found it's way here, must be technical glitch.

Last edited:
What previous game.

I wouldn't call character development in TW3 ace, either.

The only thing I didn't like about character development in TW3 was the limited amount of skills you could have equipped at once. Other than that, it was fine.

Also had no problem with the combat. It was visceral and fun.

The only thing I didn't like about character development in TW3 was the limited amount of skills you could have equipped at once. Other than that, it was fine.

Also had no problem with the combat. It was visceral and fun.

Yeah, the limited number of skills (aka "loadout") is BS that has poisoned several RPGs now. I really really hope they don't do this in Cyberpunk. Once i have earned (and paid for!) a skill, I expect to be able to use it, when I want, unless it is linked to some piece of equipment. By all means, limit my uses per day, or have some limited resource pool etc, but don't arbitrarily say I can't use a skill for some bullshit reason.

I think it's a good thing. I'm all for limited resources in RPG's, having to carefully choose what to equip, what skills to prepare and so on. To me that's a good thing, and one of the things I for instance like in TSW. It isn't a new thing either, been like that for magical users in D&D from long aqgo (admittedly I don't know if it's still that way).

pibbur who also like RPG without this feature.

PS. I may have missed your point. DS.

@Pibbur, I am happy when it makes sense - like vancian magic in D&D which you kind of adapted to and was a core part of the rules (for years anyway). Magic was originally incredibly powerful, so there had to be some compensatory effect. But consider Dragon Age. First game: no limit (that huge wonderful skill bar, multiple even), except cool down - good. Later dragon ages - suddenly you can only 'load out' (like later mass effect games…surprise surprise) a small set of your extensive (hard earned) skills. My belief (which many people suggested at the time) was that this was linked to limited mapping on a controller, which M+K, with multiple skill bars, did not suffer from. The limits in the The Witcher 3 were silly: consider martial skills, like the heavy vs light attacks, once I have learned those, how can I forget them? But I had to, because I could only slot a certain number into my (small set of) active skill slots. That is what I objected to. I have no issue with limited resources and having to plan but this smacks of a 'fake' limitation, which I don't accept at all.

Mass Effect: Andromeda was the worst in that way. Only 3 equipped skills at any given time. It was a complete joke.

It was a joke because:
- only lower left dialogue is fun
- sidekicks (character and AI) are pathetic
- villain and other NPCs are boring (no strong personality like Aria)
- checkpoints are forced to mitigate unfixed bugs (displacement skills are gamestoppers)
- half of sidequests are roguelike fetch tasks
- c&c does not make the final quest harder depending on your choices
- too much of resources went into developing silly pvp and phone service
- there is no way to buy "human" remix from andromeda, bullshit as usual by EA trax, only fan edit exists:

- etc etc

Andromeda was not a joke because of mushrooms based controls. We knew we're getting port from garbage hardware designs. It's numerous other small things that could and should have been either removed or designed better.

@booboo;: So I did (partly) miss your point. I agree that limitations should make sense and not feel like a construction.

pibbur who thinks he got the point now.

Back
Top Bottom