Introducing "SKALD: Against the Black Priory"

SkaldRPG

Watcher
Hi,

SKALD: Against the Black Priory is an indie CRPG of dark, grounded fantasy with a strong retro look and feel!

The game draws heavily on "golden era" titles like "Ultima", the "Gold Box series" and the "Magic Candle series". It features party-based, story driven, roleplaying that mixes traditional tile based exploration with menu based combat and "choose your own adventure" style sequences.

The game is in late Alpha development and is fast approaching Kickstarter! This project lives or dies by the interest of the indie-RPG fanbase so I really hope to connect with some of you!

Please check it out at www.skaldRpg.com and reach out on Twitter for more info! Please reach out with comments and ideas! This is still a work in progress and I would love to get some feedback from other RPG-fans!

Some images of the Alpha-build:

GIF1.gif

Gif3.gif

Combat-1.gif

Like I said: I would love to hear from you so feel free to get in touch :)

AL
Scape-IT

Last edited:
Awesome! I love the C64 colour palette. :) That's some nice retro graphics you've got there. I particularly like the ship/sea based tiles.

It's party based, so I assume there are there classes and stats etc? Could you say a little more about that? Thanks!

Awesome! I love the C64 colour palette. :) That's some nice retro graphics you've got there. I particularly like the ship/sea based tiles.

It's party based, so I assume there are there classes and stats etc? Could you say a little more about that? Thanks!

Hi and thank you for your feedback! It really warms my heart (I also love just sailing around :-D )!

This reply might end up being duplicated but I messed up whilst replying the first time and I’m having a hard time deleting existing posts ;-)

The depth of the character- and skill system of SKALD: Against the Black Priory will depend on what kind of funding I get (should I aim for 20 or 100 hours of gameplay). It’s really important for me to publish “Against the Black Priory” as it’s the first game written using the SKALD engine and it’s important for me to actually get it out there within reasonable time. This means that I will tend towards “short but polished” – also concerning the width and depth of character development.

So, keeping in mind THAT I’M STILL IN ALPHA:

I intend to have at least five (classic) classes:

• Fighter
  • Wizard
  • Cleric
  • Rogue
  • Skald (a kind of fighter-bard)

Differentiation within classes comes from “background traits” (is your fighter a mercenary or a knight etc.).
In both combat and adventuring in general I hope to have synergies between classes that enable strong interactions (A mercenary might stun opponents, that allow the rogue to backstab on the subsequent turn etc.).
This idea of synergistic parties as well as menu-based combat means that a lot of level advancement will come through adding “feats” (Taunt, Stunning Attack, Backstab etc.). I still intend to make characters customizable and hope to avoid separate feat-trees for each class.
The game will have a small number of skills and these will be based on the five primary abilities:

• Strength
  • Agility
  • Fortitude
  • Intellect
  • Personality

I avoid 6 abilities because I feel this makes it easier to make INT and PER impactful stats and not the auto-dump stats for punchy classes.
Hope this clarifies it a bit and sorry if I end up double posting! Keep in touch and let me know what you think!

AL

This is the only site I come to for RPG stuff, but if Skald hangs around, I'm sure he'll get questions. I no longer play party-based games but this definitely gives the Ultima III/IV vibe at first look.

This is the only site I come to for RPG stuff, but if Skald hangs around, I'm sure he'll get questions. I no longer play party-based games but this definitely gives the Ultima III/IV vibe at first look.

Hi ;-) I can't deny that the early Ultima games were huge inspiration :)

Thanks the answers, sounds good! I think the "short but polished" approach is a good philosophy.

I'll back your kickstarter and look forward to hearing more about it.

Screenshot Saturday

Did some work on the GUI to improve use of screen real-estate. The map is now 1 tile bigger and I like how images and the combat screen is now "superimposed" onto the map. I find it a bit more grounding. Or I might just be happy to see some change :-D

D1yQBkZXcAEXc_3.png

D1yQBkYXgAAx20y.png

D1yQBkXWkAYX77E.png

Anyways, enjoy your Saturday and don't hesitate to get in touch!

Hi! Have been playing around w camera post-processing this week! I feel like adding a option to play SKALD w a CRT filter is a small but integral part of the social contract between a retro-game dev and his fans :)

Dunno if the gif below will animate but you could download it (or check it out on my twitter-feed :) )

Anyways, have a great weekend and please keep following the SKALD project! I'm also at twitter and try to post regularly there so feel free to follow me there as well!

Webp.net-gifmaker.jpg

This looks pretty interesting. I like the art especially. It both fits that retro style really well while also looking pretty darn great under those limitations (which are damn strict).

This looks pretty interesting. I like the art especially. It both fits that retro style really well while also looking pretty darn great under those limitations (which are damn strict).

Thanks! Glad you like the art! The C64 palette adds a kind of sombre tone that really made the look of the project come together so I'm very happy w it.

Have a great day!

AL

Thanks! Glad you like the art! The C64 palette adds a kind of sombre tone that really made the look of the project come together so I'm very happy w it.

Have a great day!

AL

I'd say so. It makes me a bit nostalgic, and I really shouldn't even be old enough to fully remember something like the C64, lol.

That particular palette brings back a lot of great memories for me, the project is looking great, keep up the good work!

Thank you so much! Be sure to keep posted and you'll be playing SKALD in no time!

I'd say so. It makes me a bit nostalgic, and I really shouldn't even be old enough to fully remember something like the C64, lol.

I think the C64 palette in particular, has ingrained itself in our collective video gaming experience to such a degree by now that a lot of people feel that way but it.

Maybe it's a bit like how I enjoy vinyl records more despite having grown up with CDs :)

Back
Top Bottom