Which game got you into CRPGs?

Temple of Apshai was my first 'RPG', but the game that got me into CRPGs was Wizardry 1, played it in 1987.

C64 version of Ultima 5 just blew me away. I followed that up with Bards Tale 3 and then M&M 1. After that I went back in time looking for earlier BT's and Ultimas. However, at about that time I bought my first 286 and switched from C64 to PC and the world began to open up!! :)

I'm disappointed you aren't as old as you've pretended to be.

---

Back in the day I was blown away that everyone was playing Wizardry in the school's computer room on the old Apple ]['s. After that was Ultima 3 which further blew my mind away. Before that I was into (Colossal Cavern) Adventure and got into the Scott Adams adventure games when Gramma bought us the TI 99/4a

Some celebrity trivia about the early Wizardry series: the late Robin Williams was a huge fan of them and played them as they were released.

I'm disappointed you aren't as old as you've pretended to be.

---
I came late to the party; I was already married with kids when I discovered computer games!! :)

I really don't know for sure. Might and Magic or Wizardry I, most likely. I even played Dungeon a little since I'm close enough to Urbana to have gone up there for competitions. Before that I had played several text adventures such as The Quest and Colossal Caves or something close to that.

Overall I'd say Zork I was the first game that I really, really played a ton. I had a good friend and my mother help me hand draw maps of what directions led where. It took us months to get the best score and it was an amazing sense of accomplishment. Zork I was my first achievement :D

My Mom was a good sport. She took up reading fantasy when I fell in love with it. She had bought me the Lord of the Rings and read the books too. I was too young to really understand the nuances of the novels. She played D&D and AD&D with us and she became a gamer after I had been one for several years.

Baldur's Gate I, Icewindale folowed by Gothic.

While I've loved the first two, Gothic was the one that imersed me and made me replay it like 4 times untill the Gothic 2 come out.

Before that, I've played games but not RPG's. I remember trying Wizardy 8???? and dying to the first npc I attacked...

The game that got me really into rpgs was Ultima 7, I played it on my first bought pc, a 386 20mhz. It played quite sluggish I have to say but i played through the game. Later on I also catched up Ultima 6 which was also great.

A really enjoyable thread, thanks Darth!

The first one was probably Master of Magic on the C64. It's not much of an RPG - there's no levelling or convos - but it was a fantastically atmospheric dungeon crawler with an awesome Rob Hubbard score, and it totally piqued my interest in the genre. A little later I spent some time with the Bards Tale, but I was too young to understand it properly (I was about 9). I had fun creating parties and exploring the town but they never got that far before being wiped out. The game that eventually won me over totally was a couple of years later, Pool of Radiance, which has been already mentioned by others. I had started P&Ping by this point, albeit with a very loose understanding of the D&D ruleset, and PoR just absolutely blew me away. I sank tonnes and tonnes of hours into it and wanted more! I remember the point where I left the city and the game opened up with its overland world map - my jaw dropped. I'd already been playing for what felt like forever, and now there was a whole world to explore? Genius.

Sounds like most you started gaming way before me :)

I was not allowed on PC to play games for most of my childhood - for one, we had only one family PC and my brother was using it all the time. My parents thought it inappropriate for girls to play games beyond Mario.

But I still enjoyed watching my brother playing various of games. Funny thing is, my brother was never a big fan of RPGs but when I finally got my own PC, the first game I decided to play was BG2 - out of all the games my brother played, it was BG2 that caught my attention the most. I call it a fate :p

Bard's tale Ii.

I had played a few Sierra adventure games, but then a friend and I started playing rpg board games, and I decided to take a look at crpgs for the pc. Found BT II and never looked back.

Was around 34 years old, I think.

Pibbur who has seen a lot of herbs

Aww pibbur, I thought you are BG2 fan but turns out you are BT2 fan :p

Aww pibbur, I thought you are BG2 fan but turns out you are BT2 fan :p

I misread your post, thought you wrote BT. I''m also very much a fan of the BG's, but by then I'd played a lot of crpg's.

Pibbur who has the Baldur' s gate games around 5thish position on his all time favourite list, after PS:T, a couple of Ultimas, spin-offs included, Morrowind and possibly wiz8.

PS. I never finished BG2. Got far into it, but then I think I had a disk crash and lost all my savegames. No backup. I really should take it up again, now that I've mostly forgot the story and we have the EE (abomination). DS

Last edited:
Sounds like most you started gaming way before me :)

I was not allowed on PC to play games for most of my childhood - for one, we had only one family PC and my brother was using it all the time. My parents thought it inappropriate for girls to play games beyond Mario.

But I still enjoyed watching my brother playing various of games. Funny thing is, my brother was never a big fan of RPGs but when I finally got my own PC, the first game I decided to play was BG2 - out of all the games my brother played, it was BG2 that caught my attention the most. I call it a fate :p

Yeah my older brother was a big influence on me as well - it was his C64! :) I generally played the games he was playing, which was usually shooters like the many R-Type clones or fighting games like IK+. Occasionally I got the chance to get something for myself though, and then I gravitated towards the more RPGy games.

The first game that showed me I loved progression/gear, open map, side questing+main quest and roles was Privateer 2: The Darkening in the mid-90s. Not a RPG, but a Space Sims.

If we mean real RPG, then that would be BG2. Although, I tried my first rpg on my cousin's Apple II computer back in the late 80s (Might and Magic) and played a bunch of Nintendo games considered RPGs today like Zedla too back then. BG2 lead into learning of Morrowind 2 years before it released and playing BG1/Daggerfall, all of which I liked more than BG2.

I would say two games around the same time. Wizardry which many have already talked about.

The other game was actually an arcade game, Venture. I just thought it was the coolest thing going down in a dungeon and stealing different treasures from different monsters. I think it's one of the reasons I love sandbox games where you make your own story. Venture may look pretty crappy but in my mind it was a grand adventure.

https://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=10301

I think the germ of my love for computer RPGs was planted about 5 years before I even touched a cRPG. I bought a VIC-20 almost on release day because I was so excited by The Shatman's Commodore TV ads in the early 80s about "the only computer you'll ever need!" Since I had no money left after that purchase (it was $300), I had to resort to buying issues of COMPUTE! magazine that use to feature DIY games, filling its pages with code that you typed into your VIC-20 and saved with your compact cassette-based storage. You got about 5 free games a month this way.

One was a first person perspective maze game where you had to go into a randomly generated maze (with a nearly identical wire-frame POV to the early Ultimas and Wizardries), retrieve an object, then escape from the maze as the walls slowly started to collapse around you. That game was GOD… I thought it was the pinnacle of computer technology and the crowning achievement of humanity's reach for the stars, and it was surely responsible for socially engineering into me my love of cRPGs later.

Like purple it seems I started much later than many here.

The first 'rpg' I played was diablo 2 in a cyber cafe in France. I then decided to buy it when I got home and that got me into games like fallout and gothic.
Those were the ones that got me into rpgs.

However, I still enjoy strategy games à lot too.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom