Recommended jRPGs thread (and other japanese PC games)

I'm not curious nor interested in anything written on rpgcodex site, thank you.
Unless it's made by HiddenX ofc.

Next!

[EDIT]
Googled, seems buying it or importing from Japan is virtually impossible because of some laws about adult games there. Seen some megaupload and alike obviously piratelinks but not gonna risk it. Well, they don't want my money, so there.

This thread should be renamed into "jrpgs AVAILABLE WORLDWIDE" and games not available removed from it. As I don't have time to waste on stuff that is not. Codexers obviously have.

Last edited:
Shining Force 1 & 2 are available on Steam. If you never played these SEGA Genesis games and like Fire Emblem style SRPG battles, you should definitely pick them up.

And while there's no legal way to play them on PC, I'd highly recommend Growlanser Generations (PS2) and Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time (PSP).

This thread should be renamed into "jrpgs AVAILABLE WORLDWIDE" and games not available removed from it. As I don't have time to waste on stuff that is not. Codexers obviously have.
Typical watch passive-aggressiveness aside, that was the idea from the start, I even wrote it in the OP:

Since most people here seem to be Lawfull Master Race citizens, I'll try to keep this to legaly adquirable PC games, ok? But feel free to post anything you find worthy of attention.

Sadly, there aren't many great jRPGs that fit that description, so we're fated to eventually discuss games that only people capable of using google properly can play...

Shining Force 1 & 2 are available on Steam. If you never played these SEGA Genesis games and like Fire Emblem style SRPG battles, you should definitely pick them up.

Good games, especially the first title. They really don't play like typical jrpgs. The combat is more of a Western strategy-RPG style.

Good games, especially the first title. They really don't play like typical jrpgs. The combat is more of a Western strategy-RPG style.
What do you mean by typical jrpgs? Something like Tactics Ogre is quite strategic…well, but I haven't played any JRPG for years, which may change the recognition of "typical" JRPG.

BTW, I dropped by to share the news about a game under development. What would you expect from a narrative-focused game, with turn-based combat and JRPG influence? Child of Light, being developed by Ubisoft, caught me off guard and I wonder what would become of it. Of course, it can turn out to be way tablet-port-ish but I'm sucker for narrative-focused, TB combat games, in general.

What do you mean by typical jrpgs? Something like Tactics Ogre is quite strategic…well, but I haven't played any JRPG for years, which may change the recognition of "typical" JRPG.

Anime-style teenage protagonists and random encounters that you can't see coming. :)

Anime-style teenage protagonists and random encounters that you can't see coming. :)
Well, the former is not about gameplay but style. Personally, I remember nightmarishly time-consuming grinding process...

I've bought a PSP recently just for the backlog of RPG's, and I've been playing Valhalla Knights 2 obsessively for the last few days. I'm glad I bought a PSP just for this game. It's a Wizardrylike that focuses heavily on character/ party building.

As far as art direction goes, it's one of the most Western looking Japanese RPG I've seen for older consoles. Should be palatable for the RPGWatch crowd.

A few reviewers (morons) have dismissed the game for the very fast battles. It seems to me they didn't get the concept. Yes the combat flows very fast, so while you're only controlling one character at a time, not having to give orders to more characters is actually a relief. Because of how fast battles are over, the game puts more emphasis on strategy than tactics. Choosing classes, assigning attribute points and equipment/ consumables, and setting parameters for your characters is more important than either tactical gameplay or twitch skills (though having quick reactions doesn't hurt). Most of the reviewers I've seen obviously didn't even RTFM because they complained that battles are too fast to work your way through the casting menu; they seem to have missed the fact that you can assign spells to hotkeys.

It's not a game for everyone, but if you can stomach a Wizardry game that doesn't actually have turn based combat, I'd highly recommend it.

BTW I'm playing the original version. There's a version called "BattleStance" on PSN that seems to have a few changes. Also Valhalla Knights 3 seems to be a very different beast of a game from what I've read.

edit: gameplay trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Wut1eKNbTA

I forgot to mention, despite being a Wizardrylike, it's not FPP as you can see here.

Back
Top Bottom