BioWare - Bioware Forum shut down

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
I really hadn't used them much since the days of Neverwinter Nights, but it is still sad to see them go offline. I wish they had at least left them up for historical reference, just not allowed new posts.

I guess this may have been old news, but I saw it picked up on a couple sites recently. Bioware announced it back in July, but I know I had went there in late August regarding some Mass Effect Andromeda news and they were still up and running. Maybe they announced it in July but just pulled the plug recently.
http://blog.bioware.com/2016/07/29/concerning-our-forums/

Aaarrrrgh, I just installed Dragon Age: Origins couple of days ago and some of the mods I wanted to use are (or I should say were) only available on Bioware forums. Now I have no way of getting them. For the moment at least.

Aaarrrrgh, I just installed Dragon Age: Origins couple of days ago and some of the mods I wanted to use are (or I should say were) only available on Bioware forums. Now I have no way of getting them. For the moment at least.

The people here might be able to help you.
http://bsn.boards.net/
A lot of the people active on the Bioware forums moved here.

First the legacy boards (which i loved) now bioware social too

And not a damn was given. Haven't used that site since EA ate them, and I'll never buy any product that EA is even remotely associated with. I actually LIKE my computer!

They wanted you to read their facebook/twitter feed and not see people complaints.

That's right. Saying, "Contact us via customer service, Facebook or YouTube," is pretty much the same thing as flipping your customers the bird on your way out the door.

If you're looking to contact us, here are some ways you can reach out.

Write a letter and seal it in a pneumatic tube, ship said tube on a hot air ballon to New Jersey.

Email a photocopy of your proof of purchase with a photoshopped picture of yourself riding a dragon.

Invite us to a free meal, we're hungry game developers.

Call your senator and ask for the best way to get in touch with BioWare.

Well one thing I will say is that if you have strictly a solveable issue ( not a bug which will never get fixed sort of issue) EA support is decent. Not as good as GOG but a whole lot better than steam (which doesn't exist) or UBI (which amkes things worse when you contact support). That's not to say EA will work miracle but when I've contacted them about key and account issues they were actually very helpful (had a key that wouldn't work and had account issue due to old bioware (pre ea) accuont and games split across multiple accounts.

That's right. Saying, "Contact us via customer service, Facebook or YouTube," is pretty much the same thing as flipping your customers the bird on your way out the door.

They wanted you to read their facebook/twitter feed and not see people complaints.

Pretty much this.

Correct as BioWare just wanted to close the so called Toxic forum as they call it. The other negative is that a lot of information about mods, and user made patches are lost.

As I said in another thread thank god we still have the NWNVault, and the Nexus sites.

I do not use the so-called social media. So where is leaving me this move?! The live chat support is terrible and many operators (advisors, as EA wants you to call them) are completely unprepared and will shower you with textbook quotes.

They could have at least leave the forums in the read-only mode, as there were many solutions for various problems present only in the forums.

Also the closure of the social bioware site is a slap given to the modders that hosted their mods only there. Many of those mods did not have any backup.

Same old EA...what can i say. Always cheap, always looking to save a buck in all the wrong places ;(

Forums tend to be more difficult to use for marketing purposes than social media. When a game related scandal occurs or your game doesn't work, forums are suddenly full of angry customers. And it just doesn't go away. So it doesn't look good for the company.

However in social media, the storm usually only lasts few days and then it is over. Who even reads many days old social media discussions? And even if someone really wanted to do that, it is going to be quite a task to read hundreds of facebook / twitter comments.

And ofcourse it saves money. No need for forums admins & moderators. One cool social media guy is enough.

Here's a link to one of the copies taken of the NWN forums. I think this guy also did NWN2 and has provided copies to the vault. This is just a copy so nothing fancy and note it's in reverse date order so go to the last page for the most recent posts.

http://smf.asmodei.net/index.php

And here's a re-post of the wayback machine link. You can browse everything, like other subforums, and it'll bring back whatever it has.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160910043738/https://forum.bioware.com/forum/43-neverwinter-nights/

Back
Top Bottom