Planescape: Torment - Writing Ravel @ Obsidian Blog

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Chris Avellone has answered a group of fan questions about creating Ravel from Planescape: Torment:
What was the origin of Ravel?

We had a number of physically powerful enemies in Torment, and I thought a night hag would be a good adversary, especially if she was a cryptic, deadly puzzle maker. As the game went on, the idea that Ravel was a branching creature whose life resembled a great tree (or bramble) stretching across the planes, was in love with the player and she genuinely tried to help people at times (only to have it turn against her and the recipient) seemed to be some good hooks to make an adversary.

Writing Ravel was perhaps one of the experiences I’m most proud of in my career. I felt like she came together nicely, and she had a really distinctive tone.
More information.

Always nice to get more Planescape backstory. I thought the old biddy in Targos sounded familiar, and was something other / a bit more than she appeared. Looking forward to seeing Ravel's latest incarnation(in MotB).

Yes very nice read. :)
Too bad PT hasn't gotten a visual upgrade like so many other top-rated RPGs, they seem forever unable to reach the new audiences.

I can't imagine why no one has upgraded PT, BG1 & BG2 to the Aurora engine.
WOW, what a great TC project that would be for some grad team. :)

Ravel - what a Hag!

Just finished replaying PS:T - inspired by these articles. I'd forgotten how great Ravel was esp "Away with ye! .... Dead I be" (which will make sense if you've played it ;-> ) I very seldom replay games but it was almost like playing it again since I first played it when it came out (and I have a crap memory - isn't that wonderful?)

Ravel is, indeed, a great NPC. Interesting to read that Ravel is also used in other games, I had no idea about that.

Back
Top Bottom