Twitter?

I always thought a twit was a derogatory term for someone!!

A completely pointless comment... I was thinking about "twinkers".

I got roasted on a forum once for calling some players I didn't like "twinkers". Twinkers as an RPG-term are characters who come over items that are way above their level such as supreme magic items etc and this happened to be a RPG forum. These magical items "sparkle and twinkle" and the items are called "twinks". I failed to mention this however.

As it turned out, "Twinkers" also happen to be a gay community term for a younger cute homosexual male. Out of the blue I was accused by someone who knew the gay-term but not the rpg-term for being a gaybasher. This ended up in a large gangflaming against me for being "intolerant against gays". Eventually the moderator came in and gave me right. It was afterall a rpg-forum where terms used are under the light of RPG vocabulary, not gay community vocabulary. I have had gay friends and I spend more energy than most fighting discrimination on biological grounds than supporting it.

What is it, how does it work, and how much does it cost?

Twitter is a social networking and micro-blogging service that enables its users to send and read other users' updates known as tweets. Tweets are text-based posts of up to 140 bytes in length. Updates are displayed on the user's profile page and delivered to other users who have signed up to receive them. Senders can restrict delivery to those in their circle of friends (delivery to everyone being the default). Users can send and receive updates via the Twitter website, SMS, RSS (receive only), or through applications such as Tweetie, Twitterrific, Twitterfon, TweetDeck and Feedalizr. The service is free to use over the web, but using SMS may incur phone services provider fees.

It is sort of a mix of email and IRC ... you put up little <140 character 'tweets' that might be status or info or announcements or whatever, and you can get into quick discussions (which, of course, anyone can see) and even multi-person exchanges.

My public Twitter is joshsprague, but I just started a second Twitter account to feed my RPG nerd side: Tweet & Tankard. It'll be a mix of posts on games, PnP, books, etc.

Back
Top Bottom