Skyrim What house did you buy?

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

CelesteGB

Watchhamster
Ok, I have enough money for either the Whiterun, Riften or Markarth house with the option and quests open for the rest (but not the money yet :D) I'm level 26.

Which one did you choose, what level were you and why? I'm just curious.

Whiterun, mid-teens.
I just bought the earliest one made available to me. Given you can fast-travel to Whiterun and the house is very close to the gate, it didn't seem to make a difference where you bought one.

(Or does it?)

I bought the Whiterun house around level 10 and have used that house as my "base" ever since. Why? Well, I guess I got attached to Whiterun, similar to how I became attached to Balmora in Morrowind, largely because that's kind of the "starting area" - or at least, the first major town that you typically travel to - of the adventure. After coming back so many times throughout the course of the game, it just didn't feel right to move anywhere else; I simply became really comfortable with the town layout, I knew where everything was, and it was really convenient to have a blacksmith right next door for selling and upgrading items. I'll have to select a different city on a second playthrough just to mix things up :)

I've only been given the option to choose the Whiterun house so far, and I'm level 35, 80 hours in. I guess I haven't done enough for the other cities to get the option to buy a house yet. I don't really want a house in Riften because it seems like a dirty, sneaky place. Markarth would be cool, but I'm not going to have the money either after I pay for another level of Smithing from Eorland Grey-Mane (4000 gold a pop), which will take me to 80 overall and I can now smith a nice set of Ebony for myself. I love this game.

I bought the Whiterun house around level 10 and have used that house as my "base" ever since. Why? Well, I guess I got attached to Whiterun, similar to how I became attached to Balmora in Morrowind, largely because that's kind of the "starting area" - or at least, the first major town that you typically travel to - of the adventure. After coming back so many times throughout the course of the game, it just didn't feel right to move anywhere else; I simply became really comfortable with the town layout, I knew where everything was, and it was really convenient to have a blacksmith right next door for selling and upgrading items. I'll have to select a different city on a second playthrough just to mix things up :)

You sound almost exactly like me. I spent most of my game time in Whiterun for the same reasons. It feels like "home". What amazed me was how much content I found there. I was finding new quests even 50 hours into the game there, just by exploring and talking to people I hadn't talked to yet. It was great.

First got the Riften home, I started with the thieves' guild on my first playthrough so I did those thane quests first, must've been in the teens. It's much nicer than the whiterun one(armor stands, enchanting , skyrim access) and you can get it for the same price.

Wish containers in your homes had tabs for sorting through ingreds/weapons/armor etc.

You sound almost exactly like me. I spent most of my game time in Whiterun for the same reasons. It feels like "home". What amazed me was how much content I found there. I was finding new quests even 50 hours into the game there, just by exploring and talking to people I hadn't talked to yet. It was great.

It's strange how the "home" feeling creeps in when you keep coming back to a particular place in an Elder Scrolls game, isn't it? I think being a member of the Companions really accentuates the feeling that Whiterun is home; it feels like there's a purpose to staying there beyond just sleeping and storing/selling gear. I've been impressed by the quality of the quests that you can pick up in towns as well - although I kind of wish I hadn't done so many of the quests from other towns and saved them for another playthrough.

I thought about using Winterhold as my home because I love the snowy, mountainous region that it is located in, but the town outside the college is just so tiny and only has one mediocre shop, so I stopped going there after completing the College Questline. That's really the only town I've been disappointed with; I know that it was basically destroyed before the game's time period, but still, I was expecting more from a town that was once the capitol of Skyrim. Fortunately all the other towns are great.

I do like the Markarth house. I bought it and snooped around and reloaded until I could decide for sure. Of course, I don't have enough to furnish it but…

I'm the same as the others. Whiterun is like home and the blacksmith doesn't seem to mind my clutter of dragon bones, scales, ingots and who knows what else I've tossed in the corner:D All of the people are nice (well, except for that one snooty guy asking if you've been to the Cloud District *snort*) and it's just a nice place.

The house in Riften is on the water but since it's the home base of the Thieves guild and the canals are all stagnate....meh, it's not quite me.

I don't know if I could pay the 12k or 25k for the other two houses. Geez, I'd have a pile as high as the blacksmith's building if I waited until I had enough money.

I keep hoping for a mod for one in Riverwood. A house there would be outstanding!

I'm the same as the others. Whiterun is like home and the blacksmith doesn't seem to mind my clutter of dragon bones, scales, ingots and who knows what else I've tossed in the corner:D

Heh, I dumped a lot of stuff there too if I didn't feel like taking things back to my house. The lady blacksmith did get a bit upset with me when I'd take my armor off to compare it with something else, give it to a companion, or sell it and then forget to put new clothes on ("Put some clothes on you damn fool!"), but other than that we got along great, clutter and all! :D

I keep hoping for a mod for one in Riverwood. A house there would be outstanding!

Ah, that was my first choice until I found out that you can't buy a house there. I like the location and look of the town, and I love the river and mountains that surround it. Can't wait for the damn Creation Kit to get released!

Kind of wish every town where you obtained unique armor sets and weapons would have a house with enough weapon plaques/racks and armor stands for you to display them. When the house in riften had two armor stands to display the 2 thieves' guild armor sets I had at the time I thought it was neat and would be the norm, also got something apropriately located to display DB armor and weapons, disappointed that the whiterun house doesn't come with an armor stand to display the companions' wolf armor.

I went with Whiterun for pretty much all the reasons stated - it just felt like home to me. Besides I didn't want to take Farkas away from his "family". It is a convient place and I just felt comfortable there.

The house in Solitude is the nicest both aesthetically and from a storage/utility point of view. It is also EXPENSIVE.

I´ve bought all of´em and, incidentally enough, personally I´ve found the Solitude house to be the worst, especially given the cost. Of the major cities, I´ve found Solitude´s interiors to be least aesthetically interesting and, though personally I don´t care about it, it seemed to me that the house actually has less storage space than some of the other houses. Rip off, I say :).

Also, it doesn´t have this:
SaNBO.jpg

Whiterun was my favourite for the same reasons Nerevarine metioned, the second would be Markarth for its unique architecture and the
thing.

I´ve bought all of´em and, incidentally enough, personally I´ve found the Solitude house to be the worst, especially given the cost. Of the major cities, I´ve found Solitude´s interiors to be least aesthetically interesting and, though personally I don´t care about it, it seemed to me that the house actually has less storage space than some of the other houses. Rip off, I say :).

Also, it doesn´t have this:
SaNBO.jpg

Whiterun was my favourite for the same reasons Nerevarine metioned, the second would be Markarth for its unique architecture and the
thing.
Ohhhh…..pretty! When I checked the layout of the house I didn't have enough to try out the furnishing :) Was scoping out Argis the Bulwork for husband material though hehe

I bought the Whiterun house pretty early in the game, and it's where I parked Farkas as well. Okay, so Lydia is there, too, but I just ignore her for the time being. I also bought the Markarth house, Solitude house and Riften house (lvl 43 now), and I'm somewhat undecided to which house I like the best: Whiterun (comfy!) or Riften (comfy, plus the chicken!)?
Vlindrel Hall in Markarth has Argis and is somewhat different, but ... actually it's a tad too big for me. The solitude one probably is the one I dislike the most - too big, and then there's that unfriendly lass parked there.
Couldn't buy the Windhelm house because I botched the corrponding quest by pausing it. But it looks rather big, so I'm not too sore about it.

No no, you can buy a house in all the major cities (Whiterun, Markarth, Riften, Solitude and Windhelm)

I just dumped some of my 72,000 gold (I've bought nothing for about 10 levels) and bought the house in Solitude. I'm not hugely impressed. The layout just doesn't feel right, but at least it gives me a bit more storage room. I might move the family back down to Whiterun.

I prefer the one in Solitude, as it has everything I need except a forge. Would be even better if it had a forge.

Maylander - there is a mod at Nexus (in Abodes section) which adds forge to the manor in Solitude.

All the houses I own so far (Whiterun, Riften and Solitude) are ok but just not quite right. All of them suffer from storage problems. I mean chests are there but not in the right places. Why there are no chests next to the alchemy and enchanter tables? Do devs really expect you to hand place your ingredients on the shelves?! And why there are never enough book shelves?
But the biggest problems are furniture and "clutter" items. The way they are placed GUARANTEES that many items will get knocked to the ground and placing them back is next to impossible right now!

Back
Top Bottom