So.. 2013, the year of RPG drought?

So basically here, something does not exist, therefore lets pretend it exists so to get a real world application… And not doingthat would be the ivory tower accuracy.

What about some real world application? If it does not exist, just do not pretend it exists.
Or is there some natural law forcing RPG to exist on computers?
Given that you're the one making grand pronouncements based on a theoretical ideal, I'm afraid you seem to be missing the mark. You're the one that insisted on a textbook definition for something that is better described than defined.
Back to reality : cars with wings?
Oh, a bird flying through the skies. It has wings, and payload. Cant be a plane.
Jet fighter has wings, payload, no propeller. Must be a bird.
Ever seen a spoiler on a car, smart guy? Even seen a car with an air dam? Air foils, just like a wing is an air foil. Your attempt to sound ridiculous is just making you sound ridiculous. But thanks for playing.

A bird with payload? Is the French Airforce now training pigeons due to the crisis? ;)
As soon as you give them munitions, they drop them. Only thing the damn pigeons will hold on to is a white flag. ;)

Actually, Torchlight is surprisingly fun as long as you're not looking for a serious or deep RPG experience. I played through it recently and enjoyed it enough to be looking forward to playing TL2 in the future.

My only major gripe was the final boss battle. It's f*cking ridiculous!
Not ridiculous, a total crap, I always switched to lowest difficulty to get rid of this fight, you can even get achievements if you switch back to higher difficulty after to have beat this boss and before to continue.

But it's the only major fight so awful, possibly elite Dark zealot are another nuisance but in fact they require you adapt your approach of the game. The trouble is entrances that sometimes make you fight directly a crap you can hardly survive.

TL1 is RPG but it's centered about fights, classes builds and equipment builds. Story is just to build a light and gently pleasant glue, exploration is more how manage the fights when progressing in the level, there's only few stuff to discover, generally few obvious secrets not really secret and few passages somehow hidden.

TL2 solved all the problems, no more boring boss (learn how manage them and it's ok, nothing like TL1 final boss), no more impossible or boring encounters right after an entrance, and a much better difficulty curve but I advise not play it at Normal which is too easy involving a tedious gameplay, Veteran is fine, Elite is too much and is removing many possibilities when Veteran difficulty increase anyway and you'll have to learn the game to face the increased challenge.

Also TL2 speed up the pace (not a good point in my opinion) and it is a bit more/too technical oriented. That's why I advise not start with the Archer class which is too abstract hardcore.

The story is still light stuff to build a gentle glue, there's more density but it's still that. But the exploration is hugely improved, real secrets working much better than in TL1, hidden stuff, multiple stuff to discover, like special pools, phase beast challenge, few good special secrets, few secondary quests, special craft shops, golden chests and their keys, special events, some good ambushes (well TL1 had few good one too), some puzzles and special mechanisms, and even more. The fights are also deeper despite the pace increased and the evolution from dodge oriented in TL1 to mobility and anticipation dodging oriented in TL2. The drops was already impressively fun in TL1 (D2 is boring crap on this point in comparison) and surprisingly TL2 succeed improved drops fun even more.

I see no RPG there (TL1/TL2)…
Would you have the balls to affirm Dungeon Master is no RPG? TL2 is as much RPG than DM is.

So you can always pretend DM isn't a RPG but that's your very own opinion, nothing linked with reality of the RPG tag.

TL2 is at least as much RPG and possibly even more due to the much deeper mechanism of classes builds, pure RPG stuff.

TL1 is RPG but it's centered about fights, classes builds and equipment builds.

I would say it's build around fights only since gear/stat building is pretty rudimentary.
TL2 solved all the problems, no more boring boss (learn how manage them and it's ok, nothing like TL1 final boss), no more impossible or boring encounters right after an entrance, and a much better difficulty curve but I advise not play it at Normal which is too easy involving a tedious gameplay, Veteran is fine, Elite is too much and is removing many possibilities when Veteran difficulty increase anyway and you'll have to learn the game to face the increased challenge.

I disagree there TL is way too easy even on elite especially compared to D2/TQ on their max difficulty.It's even easier than normal most popular TQ mods (Lilith,underlord,soulvizier)

Also TL2 speed up the pace (not a good point in my opinion) and it is a bit more/too technical oriented. That's why I advise not start with the Archer class which is too abstract hardcore.

Again I disagree AoE slow+entire wepon class and several skills with knockback makes kiting very easy and with it archer class very easy to play.

I disagree there TL is way too easy even on elite especially compared to D2/TQ on their max difficulty.It's even easier than normal most popular TQ mods (Lilith,underlord,soulvizier).

I played on Veteran, and that was challenging enough for me. I'm not a power-gamer though, and I rarely play any kind of Diablo-type games.

I almost never died until I reached the Dark Palace and started getting one-shotted by that lightning attack from Dark Zealots. The battle with Ordrak is a complete joke though. It's at least 10x harder than any other boss battle in the game.

Would you have the balls…
I (would) have the balls. The problem is… I don't care. Can't go with anything extreme about it. ;)

You're all forgetting Grimoire, which will cause all game development companies to shut down, and their collective staffs and management commit suicide out of despair that they will never reach it's grandeur.

*snickers* I almost kept a straight face typing this. Almost.
Ah well there is always DA3 for you girly, and Grimoire is going to be the probably last gasp of the Wizardry 7 old skool gaming…plus I do believe must of you will be playing BG2 EE
troll_brain3.png

As long as I have Wasteland 2, Grimoire and my backlog of games yet not played, which include Witcher 2, Fallout New Vegas and Dishonored, it´s all good baby, plus I am getting them Goldbox itching

Chaos Chronicles is looking really good, also a RPG scheduled for 2013.

No one has mentioned Path Of Exile either and that is an ARPG that improves dramatically each patch.

IIRC PoE is MMO... There is no MMO draught that's why noone mentions it.

IIRC PoE is MMO… There is no MMO draught that's why noone mentions it.

I would say POE is much closer in feel to a closed server ARPG feel than a MMO. It is a single player oriented RPG with a surprisinhly and refreshingly complex skill and attribute system.

IIRC PoE is MMO… There is no MMO draught that's why noone mentions it.

Not only is there no MMO drought, Asheron's Call 2 have been resurrected last week. It closed down in 2005...

A bird with payload? Is the French Air Force now training pigeons due to the crisis? ;)

There must be so called RPgers enlisted so this idea will surface up some day. One will come up with the realization that this is a better way to kill children than flying around drones. The progression system as cherished by so called RPGers.
Drones to evolve into bomb loaded pigeons.

Given that you're the one making grand pronouncements based on a theoretical ideal, I'm afraid you seem to be missing the mark. You're the one that insisted on a textbook definition for something that is better described than defined.
I did not invent RPGs. The story that it is something better described than defined is self justification for the RPG element things.
So called RPGers who rely on their RPG elements thesis can not even explain why they exclude this or that game from their list(the exclusion also implies they define instead of simply describing)
In the end, it is all subjective. Better to keep it for themselves.
Ever seen a spoiler on a car, smart guy? Even seen a car with an air dam? Air foils, just like a wing is an air foil. Your attempt to sound ridiculous is just making you sound ridiculous. But thanks for playing.
How? But the very previous thing, cars are birds. Have to since it fits the depiction.

A list of games to be released in 2013 and containing the RPG elements will show the high domination of the RPG genre.

No draught, but a flood.

Back
Top Bottom