Bioshock- a little help here...

dteowner

Shoegazer
So, I'm getting just a bit frustrated. I'm on a map (the 4th one, IIRC) and there's two "caves" that I can't get into. Both are openings partially covered with leaves. I know there's some simple way to get thru there, but I can't figure it out. I've tried every combination of running/jumping/crouching, I've tried beating on the rocks with my wrench, I've tried shooting the opening with a frag grenade, I've tried burning the leaves, I've tried (on one of them) burning the little stick men on each side (tried that based on the technique to get into the crypt). Nothing seems to work. Neither "cave" is relevant, but it's really pissing me off that I can't properly mow the map over something that's undoubtedly simple.

Thanks.

Not sure i can help dte but plasmids could hold the answer, lost plasmids due to insufficient slot numbers can be reclaimed at a gene bank, at lease browse the list and see if anything rings a bell. :beer:

don't worry dte, without spoiling the plot on that level too much those leaves will disapear soon enough. i spent quite a while trying to figure that out as well. just keep on trucking for a bit longer. i love that level as its very thief like, both in design and in story.

I guess I should have been more patient. Areas properly mowed.

I've had another crash in the game. It seems to track with #1-hitting the "m" key when the map is already up #2-hitting the "m" key while listening to a diary. I don't know how much progress I lost, which is annoying since I was 1 item short of Lazarus.

what kind of video card do you have? if its nvdia your problem might be solved by updating to the most recent patch, as there was one specifically that was for bioshock. i seem to recall not having a single crash in either of my 2 playthroughs but maybe its just my rose coloured diving helmet.

Thanks for the pointer. There was a new driver set released 28SEP, which specifically mentions Bioshock. We'll see if that helps.

I don't know how much progress I lost, which is annoying since I was 1 item short of Lazarus.

Don't forget that you can quick save at any time (it's on F5 or F6 as usual) :) .

Yeah, I've gotten really bad with the "save, save, and save again" mantra. It's never really been my strong point, but I've gotten remarkably lazy.

i and stare at my JDR13 poster above my computer every evening and wonder how can any one person be that awesome;)

It's probably the main reason why it took me almost 2 weeks to finish it though. :wall:

It just didn't seem natural to use the Vita-chamber to me, plus I wanted to see if there was any kind of bonus in the ending if I never used one. (there wasn't)

Btw: I will sign your poster for 50 American dollars. :)

I died once, and you don't seem to have a choice about going in the Vita chamber.
I (dumbly) didn't know what the numbers meant next to the Health Bar and kept thinking well I have 5 more, I don't need to run. ;)

For some reason, I thought first aid kits were used automatically like EVE hypos, which resulted in one death for me. Now that I pay a little more attention to my health bar, I'm not having any trouble staying alive. Playing the game on "easy" certainly makes it easier to enjoy the story and environment for people like me that are shooter-retarded.

I didn't play while I was home sick (yes, I was that sick), but I hope to fire up a little tonight and find out how much I lost to the crash.

I liked the Vita-Chamber mechanic. They're functionally not much different from loading a quicksave, but without the hassle of quicksaving every 10 seconds. An option to make it so all the enemies regain full health each time you get vita-rezzed might be appropriate though.

Bioshock isn't a challenge-driven game though, and being that I don't play many shooters, that suited me just fine. I do look back fondly on playing Max Payne and trying to do each room perfectly, but that was quite some time ago. UT3 looks like it might be fun though, I remember playing the original and the satisfaction I got from mastering the art of using the Flak Cannon, Sniper Rifle, and Chain Gun. One-shotting people with the Sniper Rifle at close range was quite a thrill.

Back
Top Bottom