FTL: Faster than light - opinions needed

zahratustra

SasqWatch
I have bought this game a while ago but never had a chance to play it. With the news of 2014 release of FTL: Advanced Edition I thought about giving it a try BUT after watching couple of YouTube tasters it appears to me that it gets boring pretty fast...
You jump, you fight, you pick up bits and pieces of the ships you killed and you upgrade your ship and rinse and repeat until you get your ass kicked and than you start again. Am I missing something here?

I have bought this game a while ago but never had a chance to play it. With the news of 2014 release of FTL: Advanced Edition I thought about giving it a try BUT after watching couple of YouTube tasters it appears to me that it gets boring pretty fast…
You jump, you fight, you pick up bits and pieces of the ships you killed and you upgrade your ship and rinse and repeat until you get your ass kicked and than you start again. Am I missing something here?

Nope, it's a rogue game, like Nethack I think.

The idea is that the challenge motivates you to beat the game. At least once.

It goes something like this :
First try, you suck, get your ass kicked in the first zone.
2nd try, you got the hang of things and with some luck you get to sector 5.
3rd try, you know how to play and get to sector 7. Ah. you almost beat the game, so try again.
4th try, some schmuck with 5 missile launchers kills you in sector 4.
5th try you get to sector 8, but get blown to pieces before you meet the boss
6th try, some schmuck with 5 missile launchers kills you in sector 4.
17th try,some schmuck with 5 missile launchers kills you in sector 4.
23rd try, you get to sector 8
and kill the boss but then you realise you didn't and he comes back with a vengeance and shoots you out of the galaxy
36th try,some schmuck with 5 missile launchers kills you in sector 4.
47th try, you finish the game.

By then you've played for almost 80 hours of the game and you realise you can play with different ships and give yourself new and different challenges by getting special crewmembers and so on...

Games is better than it sounds on paper.
I bought it out of curiosity, being fist released KS game from post Schafer era, without real expectations and I ended with nearly 70 hours on it.Game is really addictive.

Also maybe you should wait for advanced addition since it should be released really soon with more of everything.

I will most probably do that. Thanks guys!

I also didnt expect much from this game but was gifted it and took a few minutes to test it. It hooked me for quite a few hours.

if you like Rogue type games, it's supposed to be very good. I don't, so I didn't like it at all

Generally speaking, it's not a bad game, but it is a perfect example of how to cripple a potentially huge game by forcing a roguelike label onto it. There's a small group of die-hard fans who really like that sort of challenge, but how many more just want to screw around in a spaceship without having to start over again due to one piece of bad luck?

An open-ended game like that would probably have a permanent place on my hard drive, but as it is I played it for about a month and will probably never touch it again.

Personally I think would have been crippled if it hadn't been roguelike-like. It would have gone from being an amazing game designed for a niche audience to an extremely mediocre mass appeal game.

FTL was probably my favorite game of it's year, but it is a niche game and I am a roguelike fan. But I also really liked how the gameplay and combat was unique and not like anything I'd ever played before. It's also by far one of the easiest roguelikes to eventually win, which could be good or bad depending on your perspective.

Iill never buy that game. The reason?

I'm not into gambling. Luck factor in games, sure, without it there is no fun in replays. But when it's the only thing that matters, what difference is between that game and buying a lottery ticket? Oh, there is a difference, in lottery if you get lucky… You receive something of value in return.

I must suggest another game for all those who want to gamble. Start playing Star Trek Online. There are certain boxes you open and receive different goodies from, you can't know what will drop. And you have to get lucky to get the best things. Yes it's not per Star Trek lore really, but who cares. No, you're not gambling, you'll be playing roguelike MMO. Screw the balance, why on earth are devs in other games wasting time on that!
And since you're playing a game not to get or polish some skill but to get lucky, STO is a game of your dreams, right?

Back
Top Bottom