Fallout: NV - Interview with Chris Avellone @ Core-RPG.Net

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
m00n1ight (Core-RPG.Net) interviewed Chris Avellone about Fallout: New Vegas. In this interesting interview (part 1 & part 2) some new insights are revealed (some snippets):

Is it true that in the process of the development a substantial part of the Caesar's Legion content has been cut out? In the final version of the game Legion occupied only a few settlements and a large part of its quests were "evil" counterparts of NCR quests, whereas the latter had many unique quests, not connected with Legion directly. Was it possible to develop the game in a way that both sides would have been represented more or less equally or inequality had been planned right from the start?

To the last question — yes, it was possible to develop both sides, and I agree that NCR felt more prominent in New Vegas, design-wise and scope-wise, than the Legion. While I wasn’t involved with the faction design and divisions in New Vegas (I was mostly companions, some major NPCs like the Legate, the graphic novel, and some end slide work), our lead writer, John Gonzalez, and I did kick around thoughts on Caesar’s role and characterization as well as the structure of his presentation when the player meets him, and I shared the backstory on a number of Legion references in dialogues that herald back to tribes we developed way back when for the first iteration of Van Buren (Hangdogs, Twisted Hairs). I always felt that Caesar’s goals were going to die once he ran out of lands to conquer — he had a war machine, and once it stopped rolling, the other societal problems his faction had at their core would surface and they would tear themselves apart… or simply decay until they became the prey of someone else.

In addition, we did want to include a Legion companion, Ulysses, who would be tolerant of Legion behavior and provide an internal perspective on it, but he got moved to the DLCs as an antagonist. My feelings on the Legion were summed up both with him, and also in a conversation tangent with Rose of Sharon Cassidy, where she inadvertently peppers her anger at the Legion with a slow, grudging respect for some of the other benefits they bring when they conquer an area (protecting caravans, uniting tribes, keeping the peace). In many ways, the Legion is better adapted for the wastes than many of the other factions.
When Bethesda released Fallout 3, it was praised by the majority of players, but quite a substantial group of people not only disliked the game, they hated it and the developer for ruining the series. However, when the next Fallout from Obsidian appeared on the shelves they had a change of heart and named it "the true Fallout”. Along with this, there is a notion that New Vegas is nothing more than a global modification for Fallout 3. Can you think of the changes that made your game more alike the Fallout that the fans of the classic two games had waited?

Different opinions for different folks, I suppose. Personally, I enjoyed Fallout 3 and have said as much, and Bethesda not only did a great job, but they also did a great job of reintroducing players to the Fallout world. I liked Fallout 1 and 2 as well. Hell, all three were fun.

In terms of feel, the locale of New Vegas makes a difference, since the physical proximity of the Mojave wasteland to Fallout 1 and 2 made hooking into some past F1 and F2 world elements easier. This allowed for…

• Continuing the story with nostalgic factions — for example, you got to see more about NCR and how they were fucking up the world.
  • Callbacks to events and locales (New Reno, as a simple example) that were in F1 and F2 from locals and travelers were easier to do and made sense.
  • Callbacks to old pals from F2 (Marcus, Cassidy's daughter) and a continuation of similar technologies (Cyberdogs).
  • Creature callbacks to F2 (Geckos).
  • A companion design structure which was a lot like F2's structure. This wasn't a proximity choice, this is just something we do as a studio.
Anyway, that's a few, but you get the idea.
Great Interview m00n1ight - Thank You!

More information.

I remember posting this interview back in April.
Hello, Couch!

That was first part and now we have full-length version. Part two starts from:

You are famous for your love to develop the narration using the elements of the game environment. Could you please give some examples of such "environmental” narration used in New Vegas, which you liked the most?

Back
Top Bottom