Return of the Daily Smile

We had a few days this week and last that got around thirty degrees or even a bit over, which is plenty warm for Edmonton. Today is a bit more reasonable, around the twenty mark which is just perfect, fifteen to twenty is a good and acceptable range for me.

We had a few days this week and last that got around thirty degrees or even a bit over, which is plenty warm for Edmonton. Today is a bit more reasonable, around the twenty mark which is just perfect, fifteen to twenty is a good and acceptable range for me.

Let me see....

30F - that's nearly freezing.
30K - that's definitely freezing.

Ahhh. Celsius.

pibbur who agrees that around 20 C is, if not perfect, at least it's compatible with human life.

Days? Lucky you.

This heat that is a torture to most of Europe has started somewhere in June, beginning or half of June, I don’t recall exactly.
We have not had any rain in The Netherlands since the beginning of June or so on top of that.

There is a water shortage. In most countries when there is a water shortage priorities are given to drinkwater supply. Not in The Netherlands. The dykes have priority above anything else.

Some dykes are getting dangerously dry, and they are irrigated with water every day atm, to prevent cracks. If they do not do this, dykes can break and inhabited lands will be flooded.
Cracks that do appear despite the water irrigation are being repaired immediately with clay and peat.

In The Netherlands people never complain about the sun, it seemed like a national taboo, we were always glad we could enjoy it for a while. A period with sunny days usually does not last long. We complain about wind and rain.
Now, everybody is complaining about the dry hot weather and that ever burning sun. My country seems like the south of France or Spain.

Speaking of Spain, it was 44C there, in Sevilla! That is a bit high for them as well.
And next week will be worse.

Now, everybody is complaining about the dry hot weather and that ever burning sun. My country seems like the south of France or Spain.

I live in southern France. 40°C all this week (104° in freedom unit)!

I don't praise the sun anymore! He's an asshole…

How come you are still alive? ;)

We should all emigrate to empty cool Norway. :)

And if it gets too crowded (or too hot) even here, we've got some real estate very-very-down under (the Antarctic).

pibbur who …

Last edited:
How come you are still alive? ;)

We should all emigrate to empty cool Norway. :)
If the Norns are generous with me, I will.

The rent prices in Svalbard should be affordable...

Not merely a smile, but I have to LAUGH at you poor didums complaining about temperatures we consider COLD!! We'd be horrified at temperatures below 20 C in Winter where I live. Come down here and learn about REAL heat!!!! LOL :)

We hit 110F for a couple days a few weeks ago. The low 100s is pretty common here in my area of Texas, but 110 is a little strange.

Not merely a smile, but I have to LAUGH at you poor didums complaining about temperatures we consider COLD!! We'd be horrified at temperatures below 20 C in Winter where I live. Come down here and learn about REAL heat!!!! LOL :)
We also lived in Woomera for a while (Dad was military) and summer over 40 C on occasion
My country would go down under :) if it would have desert like temperatures all summer long without any rain.
Especially the lack of rain is becoming a real problem. If it would not be handled people will drown quickly. It happened a dry summer a while ago: a dyke broke.

We hit 110F for a couple days a few weeks ago. The low 100s is pretty common here in my area of Texas, but 110 is a little strange.
Lots of people go to Portugal and Spain for a holiday. Temperatures of 100 F (37.7C) are more common there as well. Yesterday they had 113F (45C). In the coming days 116.6F (47C) is expected.

Mind you, this large high pressure area above Europe has not moved in weeks.
Water shortages in many countries now.

Edit
In todays news paper: 3 people died in Spain because of the heat and being outside.

Last edited:
I wonder..., do you guys who live in hot areas, Corwin and Steven Peeler, have airconditioning in your homes and workplace, (small) shops, restaurants and bars?

I wonder…, do you guys who live in hot areas, Corwin and Steven Peeler, have airconditioning in your homes and workplace, (small) shops, restaurants and bars?

Pretty much everyone has air conditioning here, homes and businesses. In our area, I don't think you could stay in business without it.

A lot do, but not all. One of the big issues here currently concerns the need to A/C all our schools, many of which just have ceiling fans. The cost would be enormous, but it's really needed. Most businesses have at least some form of A/C, because it's not that expensive. My church has 5 and my home has 3. Most are reverse cycle, so they heat in winter and are fairly economic to use. We tend to live outside a lot in summer!! :)

Back
Top Bottom