Unity - Full Adam Demo - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Unity - Full Adam Demo

Default Unity - Full Adam Demo

June 22nd, 2016, 06:47
@RockPaperShotgun Unity is showing off the full capabilities of Unity v5.4 with their Adam demo.

Unity's latest swish tech demo is Adam, a sci-fi short story about a naughty robot in a nasty future. It's quite pretty! They plan to release a downloadable version for folks to run on their own computers, but right now you can watch the whole thing right here:

loading…

Pretty, that. And a nice self-contained little story. Unity showed a short version at GDC in March, but this is the full cut. Here it's running in 1440p on a GeForce GTX 980.

"It's built to showcase and test out the graphical quality achievable with Unity in 2016," Unity say. The demo's built on beta versions of Unity 5.4 with their soon-to-be-released cinematic sequencer tool, and uses some other tools and technological tricks which are either for sale in the Unity asset store or will be released free soon.
More information.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)

June 22nd, 2016, 08:24
Looks nice!

But can somebody please explain to me why the robot is breathing very loudly the whole time?

Ursusdraconis

Watchbear
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

June 22nd, 2016, 23:26
I am quite amazed at the real-time graphics achievable with today's hardware. I keep wondering what I would think seeing this when DooM was still dropping my jaw with its incredible 3D graphics.

Thaurin

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

June 23rd, 2016, 00:03
The lighting is excellent. It's a bit frustrating that this is the level AAA games should be at today, if they were actually targeted at PC hardware.

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
+1:

June 23rd, 2016, 01:15
To be honest I've never believed Unity can reach this level of graphics.
Impressive most definetly.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
+1:

June 23rd, 2016, 06:28
It's just about photorealistic; hard to see how it could be improved much further.

The story left me wanting more. Maybe they'll have a sequel next year?

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

June 23rd, 2016, 16:35
Originally Posted by Ursusdraconis View Post
Looks nice!

But can somebody please explain to me why the robot is breathing very loudly the whole time?
Respirating robots aren't entirely crazy. Lithium-air batteries are on the way, which hugely increase the capacity by extracting oxygen from the air. The oxygen has to be pure, so air has to taken in, and the other gases expelled. It's not crazy to imagine that future robots might make use of oxygen in that (or some other) way.
Probably doesn't explain the need for heavy breathing, though.

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
+1:

June 23rd, 2016, 17:59
Originally Posted by Ursusdraconis View Post
Looks nice!

Well, there are rough points in the story ….

pibbur

pibbur who

Mentioned: Post(s)

June 23rd, 2016, 18:14
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
The lighting is excellent. It's a bit frustrating that this is the level AAA games should be at today, if they were actually targeted at PC hardware.
I don't need top level graphics. To me the important thing is that graphics are sufficiently good so I'm not distracted by them, and they have been at that level for at least 10 years.

I would prefer (but nobody's going to listen of course) that in stead of spending money on seeking the ultimate graphics, they should spend it on what's important for an RPG: better story, better RPG mechanisms, better A.I and consistency in the game world.

pibbur who may be old-fashioned.
Last edited by pibbur who; June 23rd, 2016 at 18:47.

pibbur who

Mentioned: Post(s)

June 23rd, 2016, 18:40
Impressive.
Now Unity will spread and will be used mostly for……….. movies.

Farflame

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

June 27th, 2016, 17:16
The breathing is probably because it is a human brain transferred into a robot body.

Also I am not that impressed, especially the grass is pretty awful, it clips through the ground and has a simple linear motion instead of real wind simulation. It is also quite low res looking.

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

June 27th, 2016, 17:23
Originally Posted by GothicGothicness View Post
The breathing is probably because it is a human brain transferred into a robot body.

Also I am not that impressed, especially the grass is pretty awful, it clips through the ground and has a simple linear motion instead of real wind simulation. It is also quite low res looking.
You are one of those people that watch The Walking Dead and complain how grass is nicely trimmed in neighbourhoods that characters pass through instead of all being overgrown

Archangel

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Unity - Full Adam Demo