10 Great Non-Japanese RPGs @ Green Pixels

I don't mean to be too judgemental, but that's one of the worse lists I've ever seen. Or rather, the descriptions for why these games are suppose to be so great

Mass Effect: good because you can customize a female character and have sex with other women?

Bard's Tale: It's funny?

WoW: Because a lot of people play it and it forces you to play for hours on end to get anything?

I'd say the only really good game on that list is PS:T even though they said you woke up in a prison. It's a mortuary golly gee!

In fact I remember a list worse than this some months ago but this one is also really stupid.
I've never heard of Green Pixels before but I guess for them RPGs are mostly japanese??:wall:

It didn't seem that bad of a list to me <shrug>. Some of the facts are off but the only really bad fact is the Mass Effect business. We've been able to make women characters in games for eons. It might be the first one where you could (kinda) be a lesbian, but that doesn't strike me as a big deal. The story, especially the final chapter - now that was a big deal!

What's that link on the bottom for Dungeon Master on the Atari 2600?? No way. Those cartrages could only hold about 8k in them, you aren't going to play DM with that. Interesting that you can get it for the PC now, though!

BEST LIST EVAR!!!!!!11111 one FALLOUT3D RULEZ!!!!!!!!!

been meaning to try out Bard's Tale, it's still in the plastic (got it for like ten bucks). Anyone else try it?

The humour is good in Bard's Tale and severals quests can be very funny (like the first quest to kill rats).
But IMO, gameplay is not very good and it's more action-rpg.

been meaning to try out Bard's Tale, it's still in the plastic (got it for like ten bucks). Anyone else try it?

The old version or the new version?

It is written from a female point of view, hence why she often lists being able to create female characters as important. A lot of great RPGs have male main characters, without the option to make female ones at all.

I know at least one person who once wrote that she won't be playing RPGs with ONLY a male protagonist (player character) as a "choice".

The Nameless One DOES NOT wake up in a prison - author credibility out the window.

Also, why must these articles always mention WoW?
It's an MMORPG, it shouldn't count.

No mention of the Wizardry series.

Or Baldur's Gate II, Daggerfall or Morrowind, or the original Fallout but they mention Oblivion and Fallout 3.

And not that KoTOR or KoToR 2 were fantastic games (2 was close) but they were better RPGs than Oblivion, by long shots.

Majority of the sites writers are women. They even have the one who became famous by licking psp:
kisa_psp_3pelia_0.jpg

Jessica was first noticed by the video-game/techie scene as "the girl who licked the Sony PSP" back in 2005.

In 2006 she began working for IGN.com as their main video host and as a staff writer.
Ive seen one video where she goes nuts after seeing dreamcast(?). It was quite the scene.

I dont agree with the list at all though. PS:torment is only pick from it that I might agree. ME is a big maybe but thats it. My list would start with ultima underworld, betrayal at krondor, system shock, gothic, baldurs gate, fallout, divine divinity and kotor...they should pack that and sell it as a collection.

Last edited:
Personally I wouldn't mention Fallout, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Betrayel at Krondor, System Shock, Divine Divinity, Wizardry.. we all have different tastes, so you can't really complain about a list based on one persons taste.

I'd probably focus on titles like Baldur's Gate, PS:T, Gothic, Might & Magic and so on. Then again, this was a list supposed to give people examples of non-JRPGs that are good - not a top 10 list, so mentioning all Infinity Engine games wouldn't be the best thing to do. The best way to go is probably bring a lot of variety, to give people a taste of the various types of RPGs out there. In that case I'd probably bring along KotOR, NWN2: MotB, and a few other titles that differ greatly from the IE ones.

Even if I mostly would pick different titles I would cut the list some slack as an overview for "RPG virgins":p The lady obviously comes from a console background and writes for a similar audience.

If you like the humour (you will know after ten minutes) it's worth a playthrough and your ten bucks. Gameplay itself is mediocre and the replay value is roughly zero.

Back
Top Bottom