What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

I am a fan of Youtube's Dust series.
Intriguing. Thanks for the pointer!

I'm with Joxer on Tenet and all the other timetravel movies. Mindfuck movies in general are lots of fun, no matter the budget. Need to be awake while watching, though. Here's a nice list and I'm positively surprised both that I've seen most of them and that there are still lots I haven't seen:

61x0ih98x4x41.jpg

Can't concentrate to analyze that list, but from the first row SKIP Primer and Donnie Darko.
Those two are trolling movies, not mindf.

Just came across this movie called Fatman with Mel Gibson as Santa.:lol:

My LOTR 4k bluray's arrived, and man does it looks sharp. The only bad thing is the CGI really shows its age. You can clearly see the crowds in battles that they're CGI, something I don't remember noticing before. But other than that, sharp as hell. I plan on seeing them all, as soon as The Hobbit ones come in.

And since I was in the mood, I also ordered Blade Runner and BR 2049 in 4k. That one should look amazing also.

Saw both Blade Runner and Blade Runner 2049 in 4k, and man do they look amazing. They both aged great, especially the miniatures they used for all the cityscapes, if I remember correctly that’s what they used. The music and visuals along with the great story just make these two movies timeless.

Also, it’s just mind blowing the sequel turned out as good as it did. We’re very lucky it was lead by Denis Villeneuve. Such a great director for our times. He’s hoping he knocks it out of the park with Dune also.

I'm with Joxer on Tenet and all the other timetravel movies. Mindfuck movies in general are lots of fun, no matter the budget. Need to be awake while watching, though. Here's a nice list and I'm positively surprised both that I've seen most of them and that there are still lots I haven't seen:

61x0ih98x4x41.jpg

Thanks foir this nice list :) Having watched a lot of them already, I need to check the ones I didn't.

61x0ih98x4x41.jpg

It's funny how our minds works isn't it, I too scanned the list and thought immediately that I'd seen most of them.

However, when I studied the list in full detail I found that:

I've definitely seen 35 of them.
I'm not sure if I've seen 10 of them, but think I have many years ago, can't be sure.
And I've definitely not seen 54 of them.

Great list.

It's funny how our minds works isn't it, I too scanned the list and thought immediately that I'd seen most of them.

However, when I studied the list in full detail I found that:

I've definitely seen 35 of them.
I'm not sure if I've seen 10 of them, but think I have many years ago, can't be sure.
And I've definitely not seen 54 of them.

Great list.

Since you mentioned it, I was curious how many I'd seen. 57 of them. That's it. That's my contribution. :D

Since you mentioned it, I was curious how many I'd seen. 57 of them. That's it. That's my contribution. :D

Hey, that's pretty good going, that's certainly most, if by most one is meaning over 50% :lol:

I know I haven't posted for a while to this thread, but it's not from a lack of watching movies, its just the stuff I've been watching isn't really chat-about material.

I've been watching a combination of extremely high-brow and extremely low-brow. I just finished a shakespeare box-set of four movies from the Royal Shakespeare Company, which was both a slog and a marvel at the exact same time.

And I've been working through a bunch of old TV movies from a box-set kinda thing entitled "Action Thrillers", which has been about as much of a mixed bag as you could imagine.

The most interesting for chatting about was probably:

Goldeneye (1989)

Haha, yes, it is actually about Bond as well. No, it's not a typo and it's not the one with Brosnan, but this one is Charles Dance (Tywin Lannister again), playing Ian Fleming recounting his time as a secret service operative in WW2.

It's not as exciting as you might think, but more exciting than it could have been and attempts to show where a lot of the Bond'isms come from. It's only 6/10 on IMDB but I'd give it a 7.

I wanted to watch some old-school Bond movies, since they've been added to HBO, but for some reason motivation wasn't strong enough.

I did start a movie that I was curious about, but didn't end up finishing it. It's a remake of an older movie, Papillon, which I loved. And was curious about it since Rami Malek plays the role Dustin Hoffman played originally. He's nowhere near as good as Hoffman, from what I remember. But I still like Rami. Maybe he'll just forever be Elliot Alderson for me.

The movie is also nowhere near as good. And I think it's mainly because of the main character played by Charlie Hunnam. He just feels out of place in that role. Or maybe I just associate him too much with his Sons of Anarchy character.

Thanks for mentioning Papillon (McQueen version), by some weird coincidence miracle that's actually one I bought the other day and is in my to-watch pile, so that's some nice extra hype.

Thanks for mentioning Papillon (McQueen version), by some weird coincidence miracle that's actually one I bought the other day and is in my to-watch pile, so that's some nice extra hype.

Yeah, haven't seen it in 15+ years, but I remember loving it. It's truly astounding what they went through. And you might've just given me the push to rewatch it. It would be a better use of my time than continuing watching the remake.

First time I saw the first of the Bond movies, Dr. No. It was half-decent for the first 2/3s, but the last third really lays on the cheese. But it was kind of an entertaining B-movie cheese, with the Evil Mastermind trying for world domination. I was also surprised SPECTRE was thing even from the first movie.

I'm pondering if I should try the next one. I'm kind of sarcastically curious. I'm sure it's similar. I'm also surprised to managed to release one almost every year.

I love Dr. No as much for it being a time capsule movie as much as being a Bond movie due to it being right on the cusp of a societal change between the late 50s and the start of the whole 1960s thing. the colourful vibrancy overlayered onto the dry realism of ministerial bureaucracy.

The next one, From Russia With Love, is a lot of people's favourite, so worth a watch, but its not super high on my list, I'd recommend jumping straight to Goldfinger if you haven't seen that one yet. They're both 'better' than Dr. No, though no Bond film ever again has that 'unique' time-capsule vibe Dr No has.

I'll also try to set aside some time for Papillon (1973) over the weekend amongst my Knights of the Chalice experimenting so we can have banter about that next week.

I guess I was a bit harsh on Dr. No. And I started From Russia with Love, and I just realized how many cartoons and other comedy skits parody Bond characters and themes. I wonder if these Bond movies were looked on more seriously back in 1962, or was it always meant to be tongue-in-cheek, and just fun movies, not to be taken too seriously.

I was surprised how low-budget was the production for Dr. No's secret base, and especially the radiation suits they used. They were hilarious. Like a bunch of garbage bags thrown over their heads. :D Not to be too mean, but I know very early sci-fi movies had that sort of look, but I always felt that was a lot earlier in movie history. I mean, 2001 A Space Odyssey was 1968. True, you can't really compare the two budgets, I guess, but I thought movies moved away from the B-movie look a some time ago.

I've seen 62 of those movies.
Thanks for the list, it reminded me that I've yet to see several movies that I intended to watch (e.g. Arrival).
There's a couple I've never even heard of: Upstream Color; The Holy Mountain?

Last edited:
Finished From Russia With Love, and it was surprisingly more of a standard fair spy movie. It lacked the level of camp of Dr. No, but still had it’s fair share. Also, I love that this one also has the cliche of the evil doer, when in a position of advantage, explains what he masterminded to the protagonist.

Also, I find it hilarious how every woman fawns over Bond at the mere mention of his name. I guess his reputation proceeds him? :D

I was surprised how low-budget was the production for Dr. No's secret base, and especially the radiation suits they used. They were hilarious. Like a bunch of garbage bags thrown over their heads. :D Not to be too mean, but I know very early sci-fi movies had that sort of look, but I always felt that was a lot earlier in movie history. I mean, 2001 A Space Odyssey was 1968. True, you can't really compare the two budgets, I guess, but I thought movies moved away from the B-movie look a some time ago.

Yes! that's exactly what I was talking about. The sheer gulf between what movies looked like and felt like changed radically in the 1960s. Dr No has one foot in the classic hollywood era of film making while also presenting very evident signs that a more modern approach to film-making is on the way.

Right on the cusp!

I'm towards the end of Goldfinger, and it's sufficiently entertaining. One thing I'm starting to notice is that almost every female character they introduce is either a love-interest for Bond, or a hired gun for the antagonist, who also usually ends up bedding Bond. These movies did not age well in that regard. What's hilarious is how quickly they end up in his arms. They don't even make an effort to make it seem convinging. Anyway, it's hilarious to see them from this point of view.

Back
Top Bottom