NHL - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » NHL

Default NHL

January 17th, 2021, 19:51
That's all I have to say, thank goodness the NHL is back. I do enjoy some NFL as well, but let's face it, hockey is the superior sport by far. Unless you factor in football and rugby, then hockey comes in a distant but still enjoyable third. Go Capitols, stomp a mudhole in those dirty Penguins!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)

January 17th, 2021, 21:48
College sports are superior to all of those imo. College football and basketball are my favorites, but I follow college hockey and baseball as well.

I used to be a huge NHL fan, but my Red Wings have been pretty quiet the last few years. I need them to start making noise again.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)

January 17th, 2021, 22:40
I played college ball so I know how little most of the players regard it. Once I was done college I never watched it again. NHL keeps me amused when football isn't on, rugby is a decent distraction also, as is gaelic football. NBC putting football behind a pay wall today was amusing.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

January 18th, 2021, 00:59
You should try BBL cricket it's fun to watch!!
--
If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)

January 18th, 2021, 01:06
That reminds me of the old joke about the Australian dad introducing his kids: "…and these are my sons, Spin Bowler and Opening Batsman."
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)

June 14th, 2021, 18:10
Anyone else currently watching the series? I was surprised to see Tampa take it on the chin like that, the NY team certainly came out swinging, and this one might go the full seven. Also have my peepers on Vegas to see how they come along.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

June 14th, 2021, 18:13
I'm actively rooting for the Islanders now after they disposed of my two most hated NHL teams (Penguins and Bruins) back to back.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

June 14th, 2021, 21:32
I'm really no fan of Tampa but I do love Maroon, so I'm hoping he does well. As for cheering on the Islander because they clobbered both the Bruins and Penguins, I'm right there with you, two teams that I've never liked. All I know is the rest of the NY/Tampa games should be light out affairs!!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

June 15th, 2021, 17:27
Now that was a serious beat-down delivered by the Vegas Knights unto the Canadiens last night. This series better liven up quickly or it shan't go the distance.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

June 15th, 2021, 18:10
Yes it was a painful and dominating performance to watch, having been born and raised in Montreal for my first 22 years..it was a difficult evening..

Warmark

Sentinel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

June 15th, 2021, 21:08
Yeah I know the Knights are a disturbing force at times, yet I wasn't expecting anything like the shellacking I witnessed last night. I'm just hopeful that Montreal shows up eager for some payback in the next game.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

June 15th, 2021, 21:39
The Knights have been amazing for a franchise that's only been in existence for 4 years. They've made the playoffs every year so far and have advanced to at least the conference finals 3 times now. I'm hoping to see an Islanders-Knights matchup in the Finals.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

June 16th, 2021, 03:12
You can look at the coaching staff for the Knights and see where a lot of their talent truly is. Couple that with some seriously good athletes on the ice, a company that will make good decisions come draft time, and the loyalty they already enjoy from the city/state. Those people follow them all over, even to Canada when they play. That all adds up to a dangerous opponent for any team in the NHL.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

June 16th, 2021, 11:48
What I have loved is how competitive most of the games/series have been … real parity, but with room for excellence to shine. Of course I would be happier if the Bruins were still around (but at least they put up a better fight than the Celtics!), but overall not bad. I will never like the whole '75% of teams make the playoffs' thing though …
--
-- Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

June 16th, 2021, 17:50
Yeah Txa1265, I've never been a huge fan of how many teams can actually qualify for the playoff rounds. I don't care for it, just learned to accept that and maybe hope that things will change in the future.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

June 16th, 2021, 18:07
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
Yeah Txa1265, I've never been a huge fan of how many teams can actually qualify for the playoff rounds. I don't care for it, just learned to accept that and maybe hope that things will change in the future.
It is not likely to change for the following reason:

$$$$$$$

Ticket prices per game are higher, and attendance levels peak during playoffs. Profits are through the roof as a result - and that is also why EVERYTHING for NHL / NBA is now a 7 game series (MLB still has 5 game series).

But as I say, so long as there is good hockey (or basketball/baseball/football) being played I am fine with the expansions.
--
-- Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

June 16th, 2021, 21:39
I used to love going to the games live myself, it's far too much trouble for me to do so now, let alone the expense involved. My last live game was in Edmonton about a year and a half ago, when I was in the area for a brief business visit. I'd never seen them play live when I lived there so I fixed that! Got to meet a few of the lads, it was a real treat, one I'll treasure forever.

And yes, I think you're right about it never changing. I can live with that.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

June 24th, 2021, 17:44
Man, some of these series have turned into true nail biters! Islanders and Tampa, Vegas and Montreal, weeeee!! Lots of good stuff to watch, with plenty of mayhem to enjoy on the journey.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

June 24th, 2021, 21:52
Nice comeback by the Islanders last night to force a game 7. I hope Vegas can hold off Montreal tonight.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

June 25th, 2021, 18:24
And the Knights are out. That's not the way I thought it would end, yet congrats to Montreal on a series very well played.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » NHL