|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Death Trash - Early Access Review

Default Death Trash - Early Access Review

August 15th, 2021, 10:04
Bitter Bits checked out the postapocalyptic RPG Death Trash:

Death Trash Review | Trash Only In Name

loading…

This is a review of Death Trash in it's current early access state. Opinions of the game may change as development continues, but so far Death Trash has a really solid foundation and is super fun to play.
More information.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)

August 15th, 2021, 10:58
It seems to have good gameplay ingredients, but the graphics are a bit extreme. I wouldn't mind an Infinity low-quality level but this simply puts me off. I know it's just a personal preference, but if that's a new game, why don't they at least give an UI that is more easily readable?

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)

August 15th, 2021, 15:29
I just do not understand why one would come up with a term like "death trash" ? I can only guess that it is meant to sound dark, and violent … Like so many games do these days …
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)

August 15th, 2021, 15:35
Originally Posted by Redglyph View Post
It seems to have good gameplay ingredients, but the graphics are a bit extreme. I wouldn't mind an Infinity low-quality level but this simply puts me off. I know it's just a personal preference, but if that's a new game, why don't they at least give an UI that is more easily readable?
Agreed, I too consider graphics along roughly the same level as original BG & IWD (or Arcanum for that matter) to be the bar for what I find aesthetically pleasing.

Even so, the reviewer seemed impressed by it and it currently holds the highest level of approval on steam, so I might give it a chanse once it's closer to full release. Arpgs are not my favorite but a bit of variety once in a while doesn't hurt.

Feist

Sentinel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

August 15th, 2021, 15:37
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
I just do not understand why one would come up with a term like "death trash" ? I can only guess that it is meant to sound dark, and violent € Like so many games do these days €
Lol, that was another thing that turned me off this game a little. It kind of gave me a vision of a group of young teens trying to come up with a game-title that sounded cool & edgy. "Like totally hardcore man! Fistbump coming right up!"

Feist

Sentinel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

August 15th, 2021, 17:44
I thought the game might have massive respawn, hence the name!

Note that's a thought, and not a hope! -p

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)

August 15th, 2021, 20:08
Amazing pixel graphics!! I so wish this was turn-based with a postapoc party roaming those crazy cyber-apocalyptic lands. Nice world-design, cool ideas, excellent factions. Can't wait to play it by… .. 2022 Christmas. Probably will be ready, even fully patched by then.

There is just one question remaining, regards the current running biggest world Scam of all: the poor unfortunates, who got their 5G reception recently Enhanced are projected to succumb en masse on a scale of 70%…. so humane & morality considerations aside ..
Strictly from a business standpoint this also means a potential loss of consumer-base on Steam. These will be an interesting next 16 months for sure!
--
SSI Gold Box-style game, we are working on.

mercy

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

August 15th, 2021, 20:16
Originally Posted by Redglyph View Post
This "pixel-art" style is all the rage lately. I'm not a fan of it either. For me, all it does is add to eye strain.

The game itself isn't bad though. There's a playable demo on Steam if you want to check it out.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
+1:

August 15th, 2021, 21:37
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
This "pixel-art" style is all the rage lately. I'm not a fan of it either. For me, all it does is add to eye strain.

The game itself isn't bad though. There's a playable demo on Steam if you want to check it out.
Yes, I've seen other games with that style lately too. Maybe the eyes ultimately adapt and naturally decipher the pixelized text? But my sight is bad as it is so I won't take the risk. Apart from that and the graphics in general, the game does seem good.

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)

August 15th, 2021, 22:37
Yeah the part were you befriend a giant tentacle mutant gives me bad juju vibes.

Especially when it asks if you are a friend. Anyway hardcore RPG players will love the game. Mostly because there is no mini-map or map to navigate the game world.

As for pixel-art yeah it's all the rage right now so there must be a market for it.
--
"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something." & "What is the secret to eternal happiness? To not argue with fools."

Couchpotato

Armchair Contrarian

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
+1:

August 16th, 2021, 09:45
Game is pretty cool, appropriately difficult and feature complete.
Beware, it is NOT content complete yet!

I'd wait until full release, but then I fully recommend it. It is gleefully weird and the resolution of the mystery is hopefully a proper revelation (what is going on with all that flesh growing everywhere and what do the robots have to do with it?).

Darkheart

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

August 16th, 2021, 17:25
Yeah I'm fairly sure I'll be picking this one up shortly after release. The graphics don't bother me, I've been in a pixel daze recently.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)

August 17th, 2021, 10:28
I usually prefer these games to be turn based, but this just works. Amazing story. Intuitive interface. And the story - it's meat! And androids! And… why?

But the game actually answers these questions for the most part, and does so well without resorting quite to "Elder Scrolls" levels of random text. There isn't SO much text, but what there IS there; is important.

Overall surprising game I enjoyed a lot more than I thought I would that came out of nowhere.
--
My mother said that dreams aren't real. But nightmares are.

FurtiveNyctophile

Sentinel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

August 17th, 2021, 10:31
And the graphics… I guess I'm just firmly in the camp of it's all relative. I can go from playing this to "The Witcher 3" on max settings and think, oh wow TW3 is pretty but enjoyment-wise is that actually making a difference? Usually the answer never breaks down to "it's the graphics" - for me it's always "it's the gameplay/story/interface" and almost anything but the graphics.

Then again I appreciate my 4K HDR whatever so… shrug. Depends.
--
My mother said that dreams aren't real. But nightmares are.

FurtiveNyctophile

Sentinel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Death Trash - Early Access Review