KotOR - Animated Series Debuts in October

Redglyph

SasqWatch
TheGamer reports that the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic animated series made in Unreal Engine 5 by Unreal Cinema is planned to launch mid-October. They had recently cleared the situation with LucasFilm, and released the opening sequence.

Fan-Made Knights Of The Old Republic Animated Series Will Debut This October

The first episode has been delayed slightly, but we've now got a solid release date.

The creators of the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic animated series made in Unreal Engine 5 have revealed a new voice cast for the project, as well as its debut premiere date. The first episode will be arriving in mid-October, while the rest of the episodes will follow every few months.

KOTOR fans from Unreal Cinema have detailed their current progress in making the full story of the iconic BioWare game a watchable show. According to the recent update, the series will get three seasons consisting of ten episodes each. This decision was made to make the show easier to watch and give each season its own story arc with a satisfying ending.

[...]
More information.

Rather have a game remake in Unreal but they always get shutdown.:(

Still I'll give this animated series a watch someday.

I'm surprised they were able to get it approved by LucasFilm. I wonder what the stipulations are.
Lucasfilm/Disney only had a few conditions for the team.

1. They can't use any footage from any of the Star Wars films.
  2. They cannot publicly crowdfund the KOTOR project, or at least not directly.
  3. They can't monetize the project in any way.

Well, I'm thankful for #1 at least. ;)
Well that was taken from the various articles/reddit posts from the team.:)

Probably just the standard contract/freeware clause with Lucasfilm/Disney. Still yeah I doubt they would use any footage from the films in the first place. It's animated.

No interest in watching this personally but if it takes off maybe that would make a KOTOR 3 more likely. I'm not a big Star Wars fan in general but those games were pretty fun and I wouldn't mind playing a new one.

No interest in watching this personally but if it takes off maybe that would make a KOTOR 3 more likely. I'm not a big Star Wars fan in general but those games were pretty fun and I wouldn't mind playing a new one.

If a Kotor 3 gets greenlit I hope it's not Bioware who gets the job.

Indeed, Thiraury, please keep the current Bioware far and away from any franchise that I enjoy, including this one. They are like the Bad Reboot of the computer industry.

If a Kotor 3 gets greenlit I hope it's not Bioware who gets the job.

Oh yeah, well Bioware isn't really Bioware anymore (Ship of Theseus). Not sure how where the writers / designers who worked on the original are anymore, or if they're even working in the gaming industry. IIRC the Bioware founders retired years ago.

I've been told that the SWOR MMO actually has a decent story and ties up some loose ends from the first two games, but I can't stand MMOs so I haven't tried it.

I'd say maybe Obsidian ought to do it, though Kotor 2 had some problems. However, I'm not sure that was entirely their fault, might've been a case of publisher pushing a deadline or a tight budget.

Of course, it doesn't really require any of developers who worked on the previous games... They'd just need a good writer. Seems like KOTOR 3 would sell like hotcakes but perhaps they're actually making more money with the MMO than a single-player sequel would.

I suppose one plus of turning it into an animated series is that they can cut out all of the endless running back and forth of the original game. It should be worth a trial look-and-see at any rate.

Back
Top Bottom