God of War Ragnarok

Sony literally just started porting games, so I'm not sure where this imaginary history of bad ports is coming from. :)

Well, Horizon Zero Dawn was a bit buggy and ran like crap for some people (even on high end systems) when it was released. The kb+m controls were fine from what I played. But I think they patched the performance and only minor bugs were left.

Well, Horizon Zero Dawn was a bit buggy and ran like crap for some people (even on high end systems) when it was released. The kb+m controls were fine from what I played. But I think they patched the performance and only minor bugs were left.

The PC port of HZD is excellent. Only issue I had was my GPU running hot.

The PC port of HZD is excellent. Only issue I had was my GPU running hot.

Now it's running fine for me as well on Medium/High settings. At launch I couldn't get steady 60fps no matter what settings I chose.

For whoever it may concern I meant PlayStation games that were ported to the PC not Sony first party games. Also yes there have been a few over the last twenty years.

Hey bro welcome to ignore list from on. Hmm..I'll keep you on it.:ahoy:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJA4xIVVkk8

Didn't want to start a new thread just for this, but gameinformer released their second 1min 20second gameplay clip of GoW Ragnarok. And jesus, it's embarrassing how short and little we see or find out in this one also. I thought the first one was light on anything worthwhile, but this one is even more light.

Are they waiting to release a more consistent gameplay video, maybe for one of the following Sony State of Play videos? So they pretty much gave gameinformer the crumbs off of crumbs, in terms of video content. Pff.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FwLWwWvNes

It sure looks impressive, but what the hell happened to the voice actor voicing Kratos's son. He either grew older, and now sounds generic as hell. Or they changed the voice actor, and he sounds awful.

And there was another voice in there that sounded off. We'll see how it sounds ingame.

Looks good, but the gameplay seems almost identical - and that likely means the same endless too-long-TTK grind for me.

I can't stand that kind of combat, but I understand it's very popular. Spiderman was the exact same way - though the TTK was only painful for bosses in that game, which is likely why I lasted so long.

Maybe if they one day make a mod to make combat more tactical and deliberate - I'll get to enjoy what's probably a nice spectacle type of story.

Not to be a debbie-downer - but I find the original voice acting to be super cringy "bad ass gruff". That's just my personal response to it, though.

I'm more into plausible and vulnerable characters for the most part.

If you think this GoW's combat needs to be more tactical and deliberate, then I think you'd be amazed at how mindless and button-mashy the original games were. I mentioned already that's what turned me off immediately off the original games, though I did finish the very first God of War game. But it was a bit of a pain and i constantly felt I was turning my brain off.

The change in pacing of combat and the visceral nature of the animations was the first thing I noticed. But, I wouldn't say no to something even more impactful and lowering the TTK. On some of the enemies it is a bit excessive. But even so, compared to how Spider-man's combat feels, I think it's a significant improvement.

On the voice acting in general, I quite liked Christopher Judge's Kratos. The son was the only one I found kind of bland in the first one, but in this one it seems to trend a lot more towards half-assed.

If you think this GoW's combat needs to be more tactical and deliberate, then I think you'd be amazed at how mindless and button-mashy the original games were. I mentioned already that's what turned me off immediately off the original games, though I did finish the very first God of War game. But it was a bit of a pain and i constantly felt I was turning my brain off.

The change in pacing of combat and the visceral nature of the animations was the first thing I noticed. But, I wouldn't say no to something even more impactful and lowering the TTK. On some of the enemies it is a bit excessive. But even so, compared to how Spider-man's combat feels, I think it's a significant improvement.

On the voice acting in general, I quite liked Christopher Judge's Kratos. The son was the only one I found kind of bland in the first one, but in this one it seems to trend a lot more towards half-assed.
Oh, I dislike combat even more in the original games - especially because that's what the games seemed to be - 99% spectacle and combat grinding.

I never cared for them - or all the similar type of action-combat heavy games like Devil May Cry or whatever.

That said, I don't think I ever spent more than an hour with any of those - so maybe they have something interesting beyond spectacle combat?

Yeah, I don't like any of the DMC games. I hate the combat systems where everyone is always in the air. And I don't like the story and characters. It all feels very much emo melodramatic anime action games.

The first GoW games very much borderline all of that, but done in a slightly less cringe way, but still with the same sort of mindless combat system.

The rebooted GoW felt, at least for me, a sufficiently significant departure from all that. And they also try little subtle things with the father son dynamic, which while not wholly original, it still takes the game miles away from the teenager angst-filled melo-drama of the original games.

EDIT: Speaking of DMC, I seem to remember some fans of DMC comparing it to Legacy of Kain, and I really don't know what they're smoking when they say there's similarity. There's very little melodrama in LoK, but upon revisiting it with more adult eyes, I guess there is a little bit of it. But still, not even in the same ballpark.

If it's any consolation, I don't think of Legacy of Kain as much like DMC either :)

Not that I was a big fan or anything - but it certainly seemed less shallow to me. It's been a very long time since I played that one, though.

I struggle to even remember what it was. Something about a vampire and sort of a hybrid Action RPG?

If it's any consolation, I don't think of Legacy of Kain as much like DMC either :)

Not that I was a big fan or anything - but it certainly seemed less shallow to me. It's been a very long time since I played that one, though.

I struggle to even remember what it was. Something about a vampire and sort of a hybrid Action RPG?
It's 5 games, 3 of which are very consistent 3D 3rd person puzzle action-games, since they were developed by the main team at Crystal Dynamics. And the original Blood Omen which was developed very much without thinking about sequels, and by a completely different studio and was more of a metroidvania 2D action game. Plus the second Blood Omen which somehow also was handled by a different team within CD, and god plenty of things wrong with the lore, and in a significantly different style.

The main hook to the LoK games is the main story theme they tackle, a pretty convoluted (but somehow still manages to make sense) time travel story that also tackles the topic of free will. Written in a very "shakesperian" and slightly melodramatic way (at least it felt that way, to a layman as myself) with fantastic voice actors that, at least so far, I've not seen replicated.

Back
Top Bottom