Elex 2 - Page 4 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Elex 2

Default Elex 2

September 23rd, 2021, 20:36
Originally Posted by Morrandir View Post
Well, this guy looks much better then Elex2-Jax, who just looks unsympathic to. It's the first time I'm having problems with a PB hero.
I think Jax looks pretty much the same as he did in the first game.

Come to think of it, none of PB's heroes have ever been the emotional type.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)

September 23rd, 2021, 22:23
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I think Jax looks pretty much the same as he did in the first game.

In the rendered trailer parts? Yes. In the game? No. Not at all. I also think he looks horrible in the game. The shape of his head and his facial features look completely different from the Jax in ELEX 1 and also from the Jax in the ELEX 2 rendered cutscenes. The cutscenes are much better done and much better reflect how you would expect Jax to look like six years after the first game.
My guess is the cutscenes were outsourced and PB did the in-game Jax themselves. Thus the big difference which doesn't leave a good impression.

For better or worse, he looks like the bald, hardened hero/ex-villain (Beast of Xacor) in the rendered scenes. His in-game features are much softer. But the same goes for all characters (Caja, too, who looks like her hormones are a little bit out of balance).
The faces are horrible and looking like they came straight out of Madame Tussauds wax museum.
Since it was so obvious, this was the most discussed point of criticism on the ELEX 2 forums in the past few days. People were generally happy with the demo but the character faces… ugh.

Gronkh also commented on the faces in his stream and made a botox joke with regard to Jax but PB, surprisingly, did not manage to see an issue at all. They attributed it to the lighting and said that the faces would look better at night (um, yay? ).

Since it is unlikely that anything substantial will change (the game is "done" according to Jenny from PB and they are only bugfixing, polishing now), PB might have an (ME) Andromedagate on their plate right here. It doesn't help that, at least in the German version, the spoken dialogues are all a bit awkward, especially when Jax meets Dex (his son) and the mother of Dex (Caja) for the first time. It reminded me of "emotional" scenes in Risen 2… and not in a good way.

The German intro is generally quite confusing and poorly written in my opinion. I don't think that story and content will be a strength of ELEX 2.
BTW, it was a first for a PB game that many German gamers found the English version of the original ELEX better written and voiced than the German one. History might well repeat itself because I found the story trailer more convincing than what I have seen of the German version in the Gronkh stream. The German version is dime novel material so far.

Anyway, back to the "wax faces", well, it seems unlikely that anything will change in that regard since the game is "done" according to PB and it is anyone's guess why they chose to go that route. My guess is that they wanted more facial variation in ELEX 2 and, as a first, they also had to incorporate children now (Dex won't be the only kid in the game).
So, maybe they felt a need to work from a digital wax/clay basis for the faces to achieve more variance(?).
Personally, I thought that the faces in the first game looked a lot better than what I have seen in the Gronkh stream.

Moriendor

Grumpy Cat

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

September 23rd, 2021, 22:31
Wonder if anyone else noticed the voice actor for Jax sounded different?

That's because it's a different voice actor. Also based off that stream and other videos the basic plot looks like your infected, and have to stop the alien infestation/invasion.

Did they call it dark matter or something it was hard to tell?
--
"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something." & "What is the secret to eternal happiness? To not argue with fools."

Couchpotato

Armchair Contrarian

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)

September 23rd, 2021, 22:36
@Moriendor Yeah, I'm probably thinking of what he looks like in the rendered scenes. I can't say I paid much attention to what he looked like during the gameplay segments because I was much more interested in the enemies and the environment. Plus you're not viewing him from the front most of the time.

I did notice what you mention about Caja though. I figured she was just aged a bit plus she had a kid so…

As far as the spoken dialogue being awkward, I've always thought that was the case with all their games to some degree. It just never bothered me.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

September 23rd, 2021, 22:56
Yeah I dont like the fact that the characters are bald. Is this a first for PB games, I dotn remember them having mainly bald characters in the past.

OverIt

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

September 23rd, 2021, 23:43
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Also based off that stream and other videos the basic plot looks like your infected, and have to stop the alien infestation/invasion.

Did they call it dark matter or something it was hard to tell?

Yeah, there is 'dark elex' now in addition to the regular blue elex. The dark elex is the violet/purple stuff you can see in some parts of the preview material like the monsters that are chasing Jax in one of the first cutscenes.

I was pretty confused about the story after first watching the THQ 10 year anniversary ELEX 2 story trailer and then the Gronkh stream that includes the intro and the first hour of gameplay.
After the story trailer, I thought that the game would begin BEFORE the alien/Skyanides invasion when Jax was still trying to warn everyone and when no one would listen to him but apparently all of that already lies in the past when the game begins.

If I understood things correctly then dark elex powered aliens have already invaded Magalan at the beginning of the game.
Jax gets bitten by one of those dark elex mutated beasts and he gets poisoned which is supposed to explain why he loses all of his powers.

When he wakes up in the hut of Adam Dawkins (the scientist from the first game) a few days later, the alien invasion is in full swing and they have brought terraforming machines (elex converters reloaded apparently) that convert/mutate all living beings and also plant life with dark elex.

Dawkins wants Jax to join him at the bastion of the 6th power. This might presumably be one of the five playable factions, i.e. the Berserkers, the Outlaws, the Albs, the Morkons, the new clerics and the 6th power or maybe the 6th power is the independent path because ELEX 2 is supposed to allow a neutral, factionless playthrough which sounds pretty cool to me. The factions will be divided into 'creation' and 'destruction' (the equivalent of gaining or losing cold/warmth in the first game). Maybe the 6th power is the neutral, science-based path. We'll have to see about that.
Anyway, Jax is jaded because no one listened to him and he's done saving the world, so instead of accepting the invitation by Dawkins right away, he first wants to take care of personal matters by checking on his son, Dex.

Quite a lot of that stuff doesn't make much sense to me. For example, the Hybrid apparently released a huge deal of energy into the sky when he was defeated in the first game.
So, right after the events of ELEX 1, there is this huge stellar phenomenon in the sky (presumably the portal which the Skyanides used for their invasion at the start of ELEX 2) but no one is taking Jax' warnings seriously? Really?
That seems like a stretch after the events of the first game and when regarding the fact that elex itself is a mysterious substance that came to Magalan via a meteorite "only" some 160 years ago.
You'd think that a mankind which has been almost wiped out that "recently" in history would maybe be a little alarmed by a stellar body of unknown origin but apparently not.

Oh well, like always since the Gothics, it's probably for the best not to overthink it . I'm once again not expecting much in terms of the story. I will certainly get the game some day when it's on sale and I'm sure I will enjoy the exploration (world design should be decent again) and hopefully the character development/skills etc. but it will probably be best not to pay too much attention to the dialogues and story unless you want your brain to end up in a mangled bunch .

Moriendor

Grumpy Cat

September 24th, 2021, 03:31
Where was Adam Dawkins encountered in the first game? The name seems familiar, but I can't remember if he was with one of the factions or on his own. *Edit* Was he the Cleric captured by The Outlaws and forced to build that robot?

Also, who/what are the Morkons?
Last edited by JDR13; September 24th, 2021 at 04:09.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

September 24th, 2021, 07:59
Where was Adam Dawkins encountered in the first game?
I don't think he appeared in person. I can't remember either . But after checking out this link I do remember exploring his cellar (we can see a photo/poster of him here).

Also, who/what are the Morkons?
The Morkons are one of the new factions in ELEX 2. They are a 'destruction' (vs. 'creation') faction and they are based in a huge cave fortress. This new faction was revealed along with the game back in June.

Moriendor

Grumpy Cat

+1:

September 24th, 2021, 09:20
Originally Posted by Moriendor View Post
I don't think he appeared in person. I can't remember either . But after checking out this link I do remember exploring his cellar (we can see a photo/poster of him here).
Ok, I remember those memoirs now after reading them again and who Dawkins was.

Spoiler – ……

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

September 25th, 2021, 02:16
WARNING: ELEX 1 ENDING SPOILERS AHEAD

@JDR13 Yes, as you may know there are three different endings for ELEX. PB have confirmed that they have picked one ending as canon and they have stated that the vast majority of people chose this ending (they went as far as saying that 90% of players went with the ending that they declared canon and Jenny/Bjoern repeated this claim in the Gronkh stream).

When they first talked about the 90% of players, I actually checked on the Steam achievements and back then it was like this:

- 3.0% = Beast of Xacor = the cold ending if you choose to side with The Hybrid
- 9.9% = Pure Rebel = the warm ending if you choose to kill The Hybrid
- 12.1% = The Third Way = the neutral ending where you feed The Hybrid with mana and plant Thoralt's seedling

I was genuinely curious how they arrived at 90% regarding those stats and which ending they actually meant but I guess it is clear now that they declared the neutral ending as the canon ending for ELEX 2. I even asked this question in the Q&A thread on the World of Elex forums but did not receive a reply (Jenny has all but stopped posting on the forums and instead they are now answering forums questions in their weekly videos on their YT channel).

Anyway, I doubt that the stats on other platforms are much different or significantly different enough to tilt any ending even close to a 90% majority over the other ones so it's a bit puzzling how they arrived at their conclusion other than they just really wanted that ending to be canon for reasons .

To be honest, I'm definitely a little disappointed that they ignore player choice like this. I'm sure that ELEX is once again destined to become a trilogy as usual for PB. It would have been nice if they would have done more planning and allowed for some player choices to carry over from game to game. Why even have three different endings if you dictate what needs to be the canon ending for the sequel?

Moriendor

Grumpy Cat

September 25th, 2021, 04:17
Originally Posted by Moriendor View Post
To be honest, I'm definitely a little disappointed that they ignore player choice like this. I'm sure that ELEX is once again destined to become a trilogy as usual for PB. It would have been nice if they would have done more planning and allowed for some player choices to carry over from game to game. Why even have three different endings if you dictate what needs to be the canon ending for the sequel?
Well, it's not like we're importing our character. If that was the case, then yeah, I'd agree that our choices in the first game should carry over. I'm fine with them picking a canon ending.

I've always found C&C over multiple sequels to be largely disappointing. Even in games where it was supposed to be a big deal, like in the ME trilogy, it had very little impact for me.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

September 25th, 2021, 04:41
Well, it's not like we're importing our character. If that was the case, then yeah, I'd agree that our choices in the first game should carry over. I'm fine with them picking a canon ending.

I've always found C&C over multiple sequels to be largely disappointing. Even in games where it was supposed to be a big deal, like in the ME trilogy, it had very little impact for me.

On the one hand, yes, on the other hand, no . I personally liked the choices that carried over from game to game in ME and I wish that ELEX would have taken this to a whole new level because ME is a series that is about a decade old so it would have been nice imo if PB would have massively improved upon what ME did "ages ago".

Regardless of any of that, they are the masters of their own creation. I would have found it pretty cool if they would have figured out a creative way to maybe let the player choose at the start of ELEX 2 how ELEX 1 ended and then take it from there in a way that player choice would be respected (another example of this would be the Pillars of Eternity games).

Back in the day (early 2000s), PB used to be a small dev who showed the big guys with the big budgets how it's done.
Nowadays, PB (still) doesn't have Unreal 5 engine graphics but they could easily beat the big guys at story, consistency, player choices & consequences, AI and a thought-through epic story spanning a trilogy while respecting certain player choices.

I just find it a little disappointing that they are not even trying anymore but just like any old dev they're like "this is canon so deal with it". PB used to be more ambitious than that.

Moriendor

Grumpy Cat

September 25th, 2021, 05:08
To each his own I guess. I don't think PB will ever be a BioWare in terms of narration, but they don't need to be. They're stronger in other aspects that I care more about. ME being a decade old is irrelevant because that series still had a larger budget than what PB is working with.

Personally, I'd be pretty disappointed if PB suddenly started focusing on things like that rather than what they've always been good at. I play their games for the exploration and atmosphere not the writing.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Tags
elex 2
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Elex 2