What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread - Page 281 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Default What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

February 25th, 2021, 22:36
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
You can postulate all you want, but your math still doesn't even come close to equalling "society".

Why don't you just admit it was a poor choice of words?
Or you could admit that you apparently don't understand statistics…

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)

February 26th, 2021, 00:18
Originally Posted by JFarrell71 View Post
Or you could admit that you apparently don't understand statistics…
I understand statistics just fine. You apparently think approximately 0.00098% of the population in this country equals society. It's ok if you want to stick with that. We'll just chalk it up to different definitions I guess.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)

February 26th, 2021, 00:39
Dave Bautista made a new Netflix Zombie movie called Army of the Dead.

Army of the Dead Netflix Official Teaser

loading…
Following a zombie outbreak in Las Vegas, a group of mercenaries take the ultimate gamble, venturing into the quarantine zone to pull off the greatest heist ever attempted.
--
"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something." & "What is the secret to eternal happiness? To not argue with fools."

Couchpotato

Armchair Contrarian

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)

February 28th, 2021, 03:08
Spider-Boy and Rey Skywalker are teaming up for a sci-fi flick.

Chaos Walking

loading…

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

March 6th, 2021, 00:30
I finally got around to watching Deathproof (2007), the only fully Tarantino directed movie of his I had yet to see.

And I thought it was ok, with quite a lot of really good scenes.

It has a lovely subtle Hitchcockian vibe that simmers throughout the 'boring' first half of the film when, to the not concentrating properly, it seems to be just a film where beautiful women natter away at each other.

I'm not sure whether the dialogue is in any way attempting realism as to how women like to talk when the guys aren't around and it's fairly obvious it's Tarantino going full free-form with his trash-talk writing speciality, but it was still endearing whatever the case.

The scenes of violence are surprisingly sparse and distant apart, but when they hit, they are, again, his trademark full throttle scenes. Similar in style to Once Upon A Time In Hollywood in this regard.

The car chase scenes are a beauty to behold and you can tell all the people involved were having lots of fun with it.

Does it mean anything? Is it anything more than a cool B-Movie? Of course not. But if it was a B-Movie made by someone else then everyone would be hailing it as a hidden gem. I guess people simply expect more from the big T than 'just a cool b-movie' though, which is understandable.

Of all his films, this is the one that gets the least attention, at least positive attention anyway, and I can see that, I just don't agree with that view.

But it's kind of fascinating, and deeply ironic, that it's this film of his that's going to likely be remembered mostly for being a film produced by Harvey Weinstein and co-starring Rose McGowan! [although I never could tell which one was her, and the one I thought was her wasn't in it very long].

7/10 prob wont watch again, but I could if someone else hadn't seen it & wanted to watch it.

lackblogger

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)

March 6th, 2021, 04:33
I also liked Deathproof, and find myself constantly needing to defend it, since most people hate it. So I’m glad I’m not alone for once. The car scenes were intense as hell.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

March 6th, 2021, 18:25
I've watched Death Proof a few times, and like it a lot. Any film that can work "Hold Tight" into the sound track gets my vote! It's a solid story, and the acting is superb, especially some of the peripheral roles.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)

March 6th, 2021, 20:07
Death Proof is probably my least favorite of all Tarantino's films. (He's mentioned that it's his least favorite as well)

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

March 6th, 2021, 21:18
I watched Notting Hill last night with a mate. I'm not one for romantic films, but I can easily watch this one once a year. I still consider myself a Londoner, though I've not visited in quite some time. The leads are good, and the ensemble even better, the odd dialogues and random things happening in the backround are absolutely fantastic to me, and the music is swell.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)

March 6th, 2021, 23:14
It's funny when you consider those movies were made by the guy that wrote Blackadder!
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)

March 7th, 2021, 00:58
Coming 2 America failed the 15 minute grace period. What a pile of shite.
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

March 7th, 2021, 04:54
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
Coming 2 America failed the 15 minute grace period. What a pile of shite.
I can't say I'm surprised. That one had desperate cash-grab written all over it since the moment it was announced.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

March 7th, 2021, 06:29
Today I watched Coming to America 2 and yeah it's a huge pile of shit. Such a shame as it's basically an updated Coming 2 America for the modern #MeToo woke world.

Quick some bleach my eyes or my memory of this garbage.

Also watched Boss Level today. Now that movie was a popcorn time waster but a hell of a lot better then Coming 2 America 2. Just hate movies that end on cliffhangers.

Seems a sequel is in the works so the ending will be explored more.
--
"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something." & "What is the secret to eternal happiness? To not argue with fools."

Couchpotato

Armchair Contrarian

March 7th, 2021, 16:13
Yeah, I think part of the problem is that the original was very much of its time, and part of the joke was a caricature of African royalty, as King Ralph was to the UK, to have fun with the culture shock idea. But that's not going to fly these days, and they're falling over themselves to add empowering elements, which have no comedy value.

But that's not even the major problem, IMO. It's just terrible across the board, it's lazy, the jokes don't work, and it really feels like people just showed up for the paycheque. I found it unwatchable.
--
Richard Feynman
Last edited by Ripper; March 7th, 2021 at 16:36.

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

March 7th, 2021, 17:44
I liked the Salt & Peppa and En Vogue cameos. And that's about it

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

March 7th, 2021, 19:46
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
watched Boss Level today.

Seems a sequel is in the works so the ending will be explored more.
This timelooop movie has a perfect ending and requires no sequel.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 223 Post(s)

March 8th, 2021, 00:10
Originally Posted by Drithius View Post
I liked the Salt & Peppa and En Vogue cameos. And that's about it
I didn't make it that far.

Two of my most loathed films are the Charlie & the Chocolate Factory and Ghostbusters remakes. That's partly because I'm very fond of the originals, which both had an odd and unique tone that's hard to pin down, but which just works. I think it would be wiser to leave such movies alone, because you don't have a prayer of recapturing the magic - but you don't have to make the attempts so aggravatingly awful that I want to attack my televisual equipment.

This is similarly terrible, but I'm not so attached to the original, which I found amusing and likeable. But to a fan, I'd imagine it's an utter travesty.
--
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

March 8th, 2021, 02:35
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
This timelooop movie has a perfect ending and requires no sequel.
Nope sequel has been confirmed already by the director and writer.
--

Couchpotato

Armchair Contrarian

March 8th, 2021, 23:14
Two morons.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 223 Post(s)

March 9th, 2021, 01:11
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
Two of my most loathed films are the Charlie & the Chocolate Factory and Ghostbusters remakes. That's partly because I'm very fond of the originals, which both had an odd and unique tone that's hard to pin down, but which just works. I think it would be wiser to leave such movies alone, because you don't have a prayer of recapturing the magic - but you don't have to make the attempts so aggravatingly awful that I want to attack my televisual equipment.
I thought Charlie and the Chocolate Factory had its moments, although I agree 100% that it's vastly inferior to Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory. I didn't like Depp in it, but I thought most of the kids and their parents were solid. The clone Oompa Loompa was a sad joke though.

Ghostbusters on the other hand was complete shit. It was a terrible idea that had no redeeming qualities imo.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread