Star Citizen Info Thread

We all want a more recent one :)

AFAIK, there's really nothing quite like Freelancer except Freelancer. Certainly nothing recent.

Of course, Chris Roberts was largely responsible for Freelancer - until he left when Microsoft switched bosses and changed their tune about funding. So, what was released was a severely scaled back version of his original vision.

Still a fantastic game, though.

Star Citizen is, essentially, the game Chris Roberts would have liked Freelancer to be - only with modern technology.

Well, if it's actually released :)

Privateer
Privateer 2
X Rebirth
Independence War 2
Tachyon the Fringe
Darkstar One
Spaceforce Rogue Universe
Thanks for the suggestions Dart already played Darkstar One & Spaceforce Rogue Universe. Maybe I'll finally play X Rebirth given that it was once a mess on release.

There was mention of an X4: Foundations but not much info is available.
Darkstar One is probably the most "Freelancer-clone" in the bunch though.
Hmm I think I bought the original DVD on it's release. All I remember was a ship and finding alien artifacts to upgrade. It wasn't bad but it doesn't install on WIN 10 anymore.

Last edited:
Hmm I think I bought the original DVD on it's release. All I remember was a ship and finding alien artifacts to upgrade. It wasn't bad but it doesn't install on WIN 10 anymore.

Steam has it for 2 Euro right now.

That Warframe video just made me wtf, and think "ugly and ridiculous."

Though for what its worth X: Rebirth did too when it first came out.

Rebirth was a travesty when it was released. Egosoft basically took all the PR points they built up with X3 and stuck a negative sign on the front. It's pretty fun now, though, as long as you don't go in expecting to be able to fly every ship. You'll likely want to mod out that horrible smalltalk system, too, once you've used it a few times to get some nice bits of lore.

X4: Foundations is supposed to be out this year. I made a topic over yonder. There you will be flying any ship - and you'll be able to teleport between them.

From what I've played of Rebirth - it's ok.

It doesn't have much in the way of flash or particularly appealing gameplay - but at least it works now, and it seems quite feature rich.

My issue with the X games is that they end up being about building a business empire overtime and you not really being a character in-game, X4 seems to focus even more on that aspect.

Managing a business is not why I play Space Sims, I want to be a pilot that does all sorts of jobs and have a cool storyline to follow. I don't even want to fly all the ships.

Amen to that.
I want only one ship good enough for smuggling contraband and I don't care about anything else. Yea, kinda easy to guess what role I'm planning to take. :evilgrin:

Rebel Galaxy comes to mind and Starpoint Gemini series.

Rebel Galaxy - Plays like a Wild West game in space I didn't finish it. Might go back.
Starpoint Gemini 2 - Played it years ago never finished.
Starpoint Warlords - Finished it at an earlier date will probably replay with new content.

Rebel Galaxy was pretty bad. I mean it starts out interesting but by the end it is mostly just repetitive procedural generated quests and the main story is somewhat limited in scope. The one thing I did not really explore was the fractions - though I did finish the game. Reading after I finished the game there appears to be some meat in the fractions but i was too bored with the game to go back and replay. Anyway to say a game is like Rebel Galaxy means it should be avoided (at least by myself).

Having said that double damage is working on a new space game.

What I enjoyed about X3: Terran Conflict at the end was huge base building in 3D and boarding and stealing other ships and then figuring out how to beat the economy. The quests were ok. The space battles were OK.

Looks fun, but a little too long for my tastes :)

That said, he sounds like one of the more reasonable supporters of the game. But, sadly, like with 99.9% of the people who care about Star Citizen - he doesn't understand the reality of game development - or the challenges involved when doing the kind of thing CIG are doing. So, I can't agree that the game "should be further along" at this stage - except, of course, I would love for that to be the case - and I would have loved if CIG weren't human - but aliens who could predict everything and never make a mistake.

But I'm a little more realistic than that.

That said, to be clear - I'm very happy we have people like this guy, who actually bothers to establish the liars out there, including SirJames.

Well, sheep spreading lies - which might not be intentional, but there's certainly no intention of checking facts - as we've seen countless times.

But I don't have that kind of energy. As I said, the game will speak for itself - and the level of misinformation is so widespread, at this point, that it's way, way too much work going into it.

People don't want to be wrong in public, so there's absolutely no way that people looking for "satisfaction" and having the liars admit they're liars - is a thing that's going to happen.

Not for me :)

The newest Around the Verse start with 2 in-game player made events coverage. The second one is under the form of a news coverage which I find pretty funny.

Looks like they will add a new planet, Hurston, in the Stanton system with 3.3. Maybe I'm going to check that out later this year.

edit:
First time seeing the new roadmap layout stuff (I sporadically follow the game), pretty slick app.

The newest Around the Verse start with 2 in-game player made events coverage. The second one is under the form of a news coverage which I find pretty funny.

Looks like they will add a new planet, Hurston, in the Stanton system with 3.3. Maybe I'm going to check that out later this year.

edit:
First time seeing the new roadmap layout stuff (I sporadically follow the game), pretty slick app.

The Roadmap is a tremendous improvement, if you ask me.

Going from feature-driven releases to date-driven releases has gone a long way in terms of making their choices seem reasonable to a lot of people, who struggle with the concept of developing the most ambitious game of all time.

That said, for 3.3 - I'm a little sceptical they'll make it. They will need to have Object Container Streaming finished - along with Asynchronous Background Spawning - or they won't be able to deliver the primary content - which is Hurston and its four moons.

It will be the first full planet - and given their ridiculous fidelity targets - they can't deliver this on any system with less than 32 GB of memory without OCS.

It's a massive undertaking - but it looks like they're making good progress.

The Around the Verse kinda suggest adding the new planet (with the streaming) is more complex than they first anticipated and it comes with many meetings. I wouldn't be surprised to see it slip.

I personally don't mind if it does. Beside, once it works properly, adding the rest of the planets should go faster.

The Around the Verse kinda suggest adding the new planet (with the streaming) is more complex than they first anticipated and it comes with many meetings. I wouldn't be surprised to see it slip.

99% of what they're doing is more complex than 99% of the people involved anticipated :)

I personally don't mind if it does. Beside, once it works properly, adding the rest of the planets should go faster.

Oh, I'm a very patient backer as well. I admire what they're doing - and I understand that pioneering technology and features on the level they're doing absolutely can't come out in a "short time" no matter what people are telling themselves.

The ambition is, frankly, almost absurdly bold. I can't imagine the balls it takes to go all the way like they're doing.

Back
Top Bottom