Recommend me CRPGs to start and finish

No one talks about Grimoire now that it's finished.
It was more entertaining making fun of it's developer Cleveland Mark Blakemore.:biggrin:
Numen: Contest of Heroes
Inquisitor (if you like lots of text)
Both good games knew I forget to add those games.

Last edited:
No one talks about Grimoire now that it's finished. Anyone on the Watch finish it and enjoyed it?

I sank in a lot of hours (40+ I think) and had a great time with it, but I didn't come close to finishing it. As soon as Version 2 arrives (which is "any day now" I think :D) I'll be driving straight back in.

I sank in a lot of hours (40+ I think) and had a great time with it, but I didn't come close to finishing it. As soon as Version 2 arrives (which is "any day now" I think :D) I'll be driving straight back in.

Still waiting on that Grimoire review, Mr @Pongo; !!! ;)

Still waiting on that Grimoire review, Mr @Pongo; !!! ;)

Ha yeah! Quite right. As soon as I finish V2. You can't rush a review of a game that took two decades to make, after all ;)

If you can find it, play the Magic Candle. Great crpg in the vein of Ultima. Dark Heart of Uukrul too. If Dark Heart has been mentioned, why not throw in one of the original text adventure predecessors like Zork I?

Dark Sun: Shattered Lands

Return to Krondor

Can't believe no one mentioned IWD!!!

Yes a notable omission. I was just thinking this week as I put down DoS 2 and started looking at PoE 2, that I would really love a modern IWD game right about now. PoE 2 game engine. D&D ruleset. Create your own full party of 5 or 6. Hand placed encounters and loot. Go through a good old school D&D setting/campaign with a good main story - forget companion stuff. That would make my day. If I strike it rich I'm starting a game dev studio that just cranks this type of game out every 6 months until I run out of money.

PoE 2 game engine. D&D ruleset. Create your own full party of 5 or 6. Hand placed encounters and loot. Go through a good old school D&D setting/campaign with a good main story - forget companion stuff.

Completely agree, I'd love to see a game like that. Realms Beyond sounds close I think, not sure if they're planning companions or a fully customisable party though.

Completely agree, I'd love to see a game like that. Realms Beyond sounds close I think, not sure if they're planning companions or a fully customisable party though.

IIRC they are considering a combination.. Possibly a limited number of companions with backstory that you can take along but you can replace any or all of them with blank slate party members.

Edit: Here's a quote from Hobgoblin42 on their forums from April

We plan to let you decide whether to create up to 6 custom characters from the scratch or to recruit companions. You'll be able to hire and fire your party members at any time in settlements or inns. Dismissed characters will be available in guilds or taverns nearby until you ask them to rejoin.

I think they're planning to do a Kickstarter in the near future so I assume these type of things will be set in stone soon.

Last edited:
Eh? Plenty of games mentioned are not exactly crpgs. OP should mention more what type he's looking for. Witcher, Gothic, TES...fall into something different.
Personally I enjoyed Lionheart: Legacy of Crusader a lot more than any of Fallouts, IDs, etc.

Eh? Plenty of games mentioned are not exactly crpgs. OP should mention more what type he's looking for. Witcher, Gothic, TES…fall into something different.
Personally I enjoyed Lionheart: Legacy of Crusader a lot more than any of Fallouts, IDs, etc.

I am just looking for anything that qualifies as an RPG for personal computers. I like a lot of the turn based stuff myself, but am willing to play anything as long as it's NOT a JRPG. I added Lionheart to the list too.

I finished Grimoire quite some time ago, and enjoyed it far more than I thought I would. It will get a replay from me probably sometime next year.

Eh? Plenty of games mentioned are not exactly crpgs. OP should mention more what type he's looking for. Witcher, Gothic, TES…fall into something different.

To some, crpg is still computer rpg. So everything fits.

To some, crpg is still computer rpg. So everything fits.
Yes that is the truth nowadays.:p

Here is a short description.
Computer Role Playing Game

Adaptation of the pen and paper RPG to the Computer. The first two major CRPGs were Ultima and Wizardry. The genre has since evolved with its own conventions separate from the pen and paper game but at the same time still drawing influence from the source material. Many sub-genres and splinter genres have been established such as rogue-likes, MUDs, Action RPGs, JRPGs, and MMORPGs

Misnomer: CRPGs today are not necessarily exclusive to the Computer and have expanded to console platforms more and more since the first Xbox. The term "Western RPG" has been used to show distinction from the popular JRPGs in the console space.

Early era CRPGs: Ultima , Wizardry, Wasteland, Might and Magic
90's era CRPGs: Darklands, Fallout, Baldur's Gate
Modern CRPGs: Knights of the Old Republic, Neverwinter Nights 2, The Witcher
So many sub-genres that calling a game a CRPG is generic. It's not 1980-2000 anymore.

Last edited:
I looked through the list, and while I like the idea of playing it in the order it was recommended, I strongly suggest playing Gothic 1 before Gothic 2. Gothic 2 doesn't have an intro that gives any kind of information about.. well.. anything, really.

Back
Top Bottom