Windows 10 Cloud - the next best thing or BS

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
http://wccftech.com/microsofts-windows-10-s-cloudbook/

Microsoft is taking to the stage in New York City later today to host its hardware and software event. While the Redmond software maker has used the city to launch new Surface devices, today’s event will focus on slightly different things. Microsoft’s May 2nd event is expected to bring attention to the rumored Windows 10 S (aka Windows 10 Cloud), a new operating system from the company. Along with Windows 10 Cloud, the company is also expected to launch at least one new device that will be powered by Windows 10 Cloud and is built to compete against Google’s Chromebook.
Windows 10 Cloud – or Windows 10 S – is a lightweight version of Windows 10, offering better security and more performance. Microsoft has designed this watered-down version of Windows 10 to get into the education market and compete against Google’s Chromebooks.

Sounds great, right?
I use Edge at work and honestly it's faster than Chrome, doesn't eat RAM like crazy the only minus is lack of extensions support. If I'm to believe different sites, it's also optimized so much a battery doesn't need much juice for it.

The problem? Rumors.
Apparently, Win10 S is not open (PC) OS. It's yet another closed black box and allows users only to download apps directly from Windows Store, other sources are disallowed.
It feels like another iteration od Xbox OS, it's not windows at all.

If upper is true, I can only call it windows 10 bullshit version. Can't even understand this "strategy" of competing with chromebook or macbook, it's basically same shit new wrapping where the only actual difference is the store it uses (microsoft's instead of google or apple store).

Most of the times, diverse offers do not compete one with another. Similar products do.

If it's an Apple wannabe (closed system) I'm not interested.

Articles are out everywhere. Rumors were true, it's windows store only OS with edge browser and using bing for search instead of google that cannot be changed.

There are some good news. Those who bought win10 S based machine, it's not an irreparable disaster, for $49 one can upgrade it to win10 Pro version and get rid of the silly "prison":
http://wccftech.com/upgrade-windows-10-s-to-windows-10-pro/

If in a year there will be more windows 8 machines than win 10 S ones out there, I won't be surprised.

Edge supports extensions now, though you have to get them through the store.

Apple and MS need to learn a bit about security before corporations use them for the cloud. Remember those nude celebrity images that leaked a while ago - you can thank apple stellar record on security for that leak.
-
As for MS - well they are the company that created an entirely new industry known as anti-virus.
-
things might have improved at apple and ms but I have my doubts as historically they both have shown quite a few flaws.
-
Virtually no system is without a hole somewhere but I'd at least liked to start with something where the front door is not left open.

Anything with Windows 10 is spyware.

I just want Windows 7 to be supported for another decade.

Not possible. It's basically dead except for some specific areas.
Per wiki, 2017 didn't bring any fresh air into OS market:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

The biggest market currently is phones and the last time you saw linux on a phone was when?

Have to add that Microsoft tweeted yesterday they're killing windowsphone.
http://wccftech.com/microsoft-windows-phone-is-dead/
I don't think anyone will cry:
- windowsphone feels like a bleak mixture of iOS/android setups and as such stinks
- tablets are using proper windows10 (home) and not windowsphone for a long time, recent example is CAT T20

Apple and MS need to learn a bit about security before corporations use them for the cloud. Remember those nude celebrity images that leaked a while ago - you can thank apple stellar record on security for that leak.
-
As for MS - well they are the company that created an entirely new industry known as anti-virus.
-
things might have improved at apple and ms but I have my doubts as historically they both have shown quite a few flaws.
-
Virtually no system is without a hole somewhere but I'd at least liked to start with something where the front door is not left open.

MS is really open in discussing security at the difference of Oracle, IBM, Apple and most of the others. As for Linux it takes a really naive and innocent person to think than that is a safe because of its open nature. IBM, Oracle, and a lot of US departments have put their dirty fingers in there and the bleeding heart scandal just shows how all that works: put backdoors in the code and just use them. Most of the Linux lovers are hippies without any IT knowledge anyway.
No surprise than Facebook, Amazon and all the other companies using flavour of Linux just end up rewriting full stacks of components just because of what they see.
The thing is most of the so called open source lovers are just naive dreamers hell bent in insulting MS while using gmail, Android or Linux distros without even any hint of technological knowledge to look at the code of what they use.
The belief than some benefactors are writing Linux code for the sake of the well being of human race is just a joke. Most of the code is maintained by multi billion companies and MS is even one of those.
I have worked in some of those cited companies as an engineer.

Have to add that Microsoft tweeted yesterday they're killing windowsphone.
http://wccftech.com/microsoft-windows-phone-is-dead/
I don't think anyone will cry:
- windowsphone feels like a bleak mixture of iOS/android setups and as such stinks
- tablets are using proper windows10 (home) and not windowsphone for a long time, recent example is CAT T20

I just switched from Windows 10 Mobile to an Android 7 phone, and I am really missing the Microsoft OS. I hate Windows 10 on PC, but on a phone it works really well. The live tiles are a great concept, and are less quirky and more straightforward to set up than Android widgets IMO. The Android phone has newer/better hardware and more apps, however, and my new carrier has a much clearer call quality for the same price.

yea lets see your citations. This sounds like FUD pushed by MS. That is not to say that linux has it fair share of security issues but I can assure you my linux box is far far more secure and less intrusive (spy ware) than my windows box.

MS is really open in discussing security at the difference of Oracle, IBM, Apple and most of the others. As for Linux it takes a really naive and innocent person to think than that is a safe because of its open nature. IBM, Oracle, and a lot of US departments have put their dirty fingers in there and the bleeding heart scandal just shows how all that works: put backdoors in the code and just use them. Most of the Linux lovers are hippies without any IT knowledge anyway.
No surprise than Facebook, Amazon and all the other companies using flavour of Linux just end up rewriting full stacks of components just because of what they see.
The thing is most of the so called open source lovers are just naive dreamers hell bent in insulting MS while using gmail, Android or Linux distros without even any hint of technological knowledge to look at the code of what they use.
The belief than some benefactors are writing Linux code for the sake of the well being of human race is just a joke. Most of the code is maintained by multi billion companies and MS is even one of those.
I have worked in some of those cited companies as an engineer.

Back
Top Bottom