No Man's Sky (next) tips and hints

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
IMO the best "storyline", each point goes in it's separate post and is linked so just click on it, please do not skip steps:

1. Lollygagging to get familiar with the game (it's this post)
2. Getting the second multi tool and shaking your money maker
3. Expanding inventory
4. Unlocking Stargates and preparing for getting a billion of $
5. Farming investment money and nanites for modules through missions
6. Getting S class multitool (with build)
7. Making 1 billion of $ and completing exosuit build
8. Getting S class hauler (with build) and S class frigate
9. Finalizing the anomaly (Polo and Nada) main quest
10. Additional notes

----------------------------------------------------------------

1. Lollygagging to get familiar with the game

First things first, the forum search will dismiss "no man's sky" or "nms". So if someone needs this in the future, search for "tips" in thread titles. ;)
God's beard dealt with, lemme talk about actual game stuff.

UI and controls

Because of stupid mushrooms centric game there are two menus. Of course, mushrooms bring atrocious designs with them so you'll use tab to deal with inventory and tech (exosuit/ship/mako/freighter) but to access journal, discoveries and useless guide you have to press esc and go to log. On the same esc menu there is game load, game exit and options. No, this is not a joke. Why is this a hint? Because we need to go to options for two next things. :)

- The update called "next" activated mmo idiocy by default. For what? For griefers. Screw them all and go to Options -> Network and Voice -> Network Play turn to OFF. Sure, once you get yourself a nice and shiny S class fleet fully equipped… I won't ever activate it (unless JDR needs me for something), but you can go bragg around and kill newbs over and over.

- While at options do yourself a favor and drop mouse sensitivity for flight at least by 10. Just for flight. Below that you'll see flight controls set to tethered. Trust me you want to ditch this design fail bullshit - switch that option to fixed.

- The game contains Sims/FO4 base building style. To start building something you need to press Z (or Y depending on keyboard setup).
However it happens you want to remove a "block", some wall for example (all ress return back in your inventory when you do that). The game doesn't tell you, but you need to hold CTRL while in build menu. WTF, right?

- Most of information about the world you're getting from your Analysis Visor applied on the multi-tool by holding F and that is okay. You want to check a planet info without looking into discoveries? Hold F while aiming at any nonscannable point of a planet. Need info on a space station? Hold F pointing at it's interior. Need info on a ship, by that I mean class, price and slots? Hold F pointing at a ship (won't work if a ship is currently descending/parking, but it's okay).
It however doesn't work while you're flying thus you can't "scan" a freighter for example. Is this supposed to be a joke?
Frigates got damaged? No, you can't know what needs to be repaired by any means nor fix it remotely, you need to fly to a frigate and fix several stuff 1 by 1.
These above are just examples. Dunno about console audience this game aims at, but I don't want to waste my time on mundanity!

- I'm saying whomever designed general user interface needs to be kicked out of games industry. The most irritating part of UI is not trading screen, no, believe me it's not (Q/E being worthless so stick with left mouse button hold while selling/buying).
It's the list of teleport portal star bases and your bases. So you're on some system's base and will go through a portal somewhere else, there is no info on the portal where exactly you currently are. No, you have either to go in discovery menu (P) or scan the base (hold F) to see the name of the star base (or system) where you currently are. Additionally, the teleport portal sorts systems by god knows what criteria so you're never sure what's where unless you wrote it in some notebook. The hint is - before starting NMS, prepare tons of paper and a pencil. You'll need it.

- Soon after you start building your base and receiving blueprints from base computer, you'll be able to build storage containers. Each can store 5 different item types, but you can build 10 of these.
These containters are linked to your freighter - normally you can send anything to frighter's inventory from anywhere, you can't take anything back unless you are on the very same freighter. However, you can, if standing close to storage containers, "transport" anything from freighter's inventory to these containers without being on the freighter. The story gets even more complicated - to access the list of all items in storage containers you need to press X on any empty slot in your exosuit inventory. Design crimes at it's best!

Is there a mod that fixes any of this UI bullshit? The answer is sadly - no.

Explore mindlessly or chase quests?

- This game ain't Skyrim. So don't explore aimlessly expecting to find something worth your time spent earlygame. Follow quests. Quests and missions reward you with new blueprints not available anywhere else. One thing though. If a quest says craft something, do it only if it's a part of a quest chain ("expand base" for example), if it's a standalone mission, ignore it.

Mild spoilers:
- Atlas main questline - don't just leave at the end but choose to make a certain thing. Only that way you'll get a certain blueprint.
- Anomaly questline - from Nada (who gives nada) pick Atlas help only once. All other times pick aid which will be a module you can "install" then destroy for some resources. From Polo doesn't even matter what you'll ask for, it's all junk, what matters are blueprints he gives each time you solve a milestone he tasks you with (you can't get these blueprints elsewhere!).
- Artemis questline - choose upload and not to kill. Upload will give you all 16 glyphs (wtf am I talking about, right?) for free, kill will punish you in a way you'll need waste weeks on glyphs search and additionally pay each with 100 nanintes! Also, at the end of this questline, refuse the offer so the community Stargate (not sure if SG1, Atlantis or Universe) coordinates work. WTF again, right? Well, just refuse. Okay?
- Expanding base (side)questline - should be main quest too so do it asap. Sometimes gets bugged and points on a random computer in your planet bases - to avoid it's reset to previous step just be at your homebase when you select it in the log.

- You can build one base on every planet. Once you unlock teleport travel (did I mention quests?) travelling in between teleport portals will make reaching anything easy peasy. Note that you will unlock teleport portal blueprint BEFORE you can travel through it. To gain ability to travel through it… Quests. Okay?

Bases and crafting

- Where is best to put a new base (if)? Always place it near any small settlement. Especially if there is a cave near it (to make sure you can always grind some cobalt earlygame)! At certain point you'll get a questline of building underwater bases, at that point just build one base near water (fast getting underwater animal photos for missions).

- So you got yourself a weapon master in your base (note that he'll be at any armor table in any base where you place it). His final quest is bugged. There is a workaround, but you need to have at least one more base - with a teleport portal. So even if you can't travel through portals yet, make sure you built a new base somewhere… Near a cave with cobalt and small settlement.
Anyway, the bugged quest sends sentinels on your arse and you need to kill 8 to finish it. But the counter gets stuck. So kill one, use portal to the second base, kill one there too, return through the portal, then kill again one… Once you kill 8 of them that way the quest will be solved.

- I mentioned cobalt, why would someone need that bull early? Yea… Also on planets you'll find something called drop pods. These can improve your exosuit if repaired and early game you can't have enough ress to improve it different ways (visiting numerous space stations). Often a NPC on any space station will point you towards one of such pods, and you may find more of those on any planet (portable signal sweeper and search for nearby buildings sometimes reveals another, but I'll cover how to be sure it does in another post).

- You did what a quest needs but it doesn't react? Remember, this is mushrooms centered consoley horrible designs trash. To make a quest reacting, you need either to select the quest in the log that for example needs you to gather 100 copper where you have 34785634789563978456 in inventory but it still doesn't budge unless you select it, or check the crafting guide part in the journal. Guide my arse.

- Well that moronic ingame so called guide will tell you details about discovered items blueprint. But you see, there is some stuff you need and don't have.
You'll have tons of ferrite dust earlygame, but for some stuff, for example base roof, you need magnetised ferrite. You will have a refiner and it will turn ferrite dust into pure ferrite, but then you'll ask how the hell to magnetize it? No need to think much, you'll refine pure ferrite ofc. But the bloody game has absolutely no info what refines into what and on top of that there is no ingame database that'll tell you what combinations refined together output some rare stuff.
Don't be me.
Don't waste time hours on experimenting, just say screw it and use the table from wiki:
https://nomanssky.gamepedia.com/Refiner

Another material everyone who just started the game should read IMO is this great guide on Steam: NEXT Basic Starting Guide
If you're already familiar with the game, breeze through it just to catch if there is something you might have missed.

Last edited:
So... do you like the game? You're calling it a turd on one hand, but seem pretty invested on the other, so I am a little confused. :)

So… do you like the game? You're calling it a turd on one hand, but seem pretty invested on the other, so I am a little confused.

Hey, I was waiting for it to get patched properly before I dropped back in but you are making it sound fun again. Ever think of becoming a game journalist?:cool:

Wait, did you just say the update called Next has already been implemented? Can we play MP and fly around and laminate Joxer's base?
I'm in!!

Wait, did you just say the update called Next has already been implemented?
Last August - yeah. Then The Abyss not long after that. Beyond is expected this summer.

Can we play MP and fly around and laminate Joxer's base?
I'm in!!
You're going to cover joxer's base in plastic??

It's tips thread guys. But okay…

So… do you like the game? You're calling it a turd on one hand, but seem pretty invested on the other, so I am a little confused. :)
It's love/hate opposing scale.

Hate part? Example:
Absolutely everything could have been designed better and I cannot believe there are still quest bugs as if it was Bethesda's gamebryo game - and there still are.

Love part? Example:
Initially a player will think about the game just like me: it sure is grindy. But then you ignore exploration and concentrate on questsolving, thanks to stuff you learn (and get) from quests you turn on your wits and lower the grind to minimum - the game becomes fun.
Hey, I was waiting for it to get patched properly before I dropped back in but you are making it sound fun again. Ever think of becoming a game journalist?:cool:

Wait, did you just say the update called Next has already been implemented? Can we play MP and fly around and laminate Joxer's base?
I'm in!!
It's patched. Upcoming "upgrade" is a worthless junk. Play now.

You can't MP my base as I'm playing it offline (read my tips in the initial post). Will I ever enable mmo, dunno. So far I don't plan to.
..someone who on a daily basis uses "mushroom" as some kind of bad word for things he doesn't like can't be completely right in the head.
Never tried to suggest I'm right in the head and not only this is tips thread, it's not a thread about my disgustions, so please open another about, well, vomitcausing industry trends.

Sadly I didn't have time to continue with tips in a way I wanted to, so expect another actual tips/hints post soon. Probably tomorrow, I need to prepare screenshots from my ingame loitering and I still haven't managed to finish what I've planned to feature on those pics.

There's little to fear from other players in NMS. The odds of a random player finding his base are extremely small due to the size of the game world. In the 40+ hours I've played so far, I've never even seen another player yet. I got a message that another player was in the same system once but we didn't cross paths.

As I understand it, you can also kick another player from your session if you want.

I thought I was the only one playing this. :)

I'm about 70 hours in, with a full S class ship (not fleet, sadly). I put it down a while back, but this post has me thinking about jumping in again. I never really utilized the teleportation system, but now I wish I had.

I'm still on a B class ship. I haven't been gaming much lately though, and I keep jumping around between different games when I do.

B class ship? What for? :p
S? I actually didn't know there were S class ships when I started the game. Also, you don't want to believe me but to this day I haven't seen any class S ship in my game. Anywhere. But lemme say something more about that.

I'm still on C class ship "after all these years"… Should be changed today, the reason I didn't post anything is I need to talk about ships. Yes, I know where S class ships are supposed to spawn and that needs to be written in this thread - if I can confirm it.

A hint that is not really needed - if one followed what I wrote in the opening thread: rush main quests and base expansion, the starting c class ship (shuttle) is good enough for all of it. In other words, there are more pressing stuff to address with $ before buying another ship. If stars align properly, I'll finally share all of what I planned with pics later today.
There's little to fear from other players in NMS. The odds of a random player finding his base are extremely small due to the size of the game world.
IIRC you're stalling the game and are still in the first planetary system the game dropped you on. Noone is staying there - no point of loitering in yellow/red/green star systems. You want the main base in a (rich) blue star system.
Where exactly you'll meet most people? On a planet that definetly spawns S class alien or experimental multitool. Unless visiting it crashes the game. :) And then they'll show you some insulting moves. :p
Later, later. Not now.

Last edited:
If you're progressing at a steady pace, I'd say S class dreadnoughts are completely optional. In fact, you can ignore them for the entirety of the game. I think S class ships do become more beneficial at a certain point when you need the space, but that's up to you. I'm usually struggling with space, and in almost every game with limited inventory systems, that's the first thing I prioritize. Usually that meant doing a lot of planet scanning and looking for downed ships. After the NMS: NEXT patch, that became so much more costly to do, though.

Dreadnoughts (capital ships) offer tons of space too, but also allow you to hold multiple ships at a time as well, so there's that. Problem is, they're ridiculously expensive. I think the highest I've seen is somewhere around 700 million credits. They look really pretty in space battles, though. I like the Sentinel dreadnoughts, but almost every time I warped into a system, I usually saw the Venator designed dreadnought. I like that I can see it from space if I'm down on a planet, though.

I'm still working on my fleet, but that's an entire project on its own.

S class multi-tools are where I fall behind. I simply haven't seen any with a decent amount of space for mods on them. I usually find the pistol types when what I really want is a rifle. Oh well. :p

What is there to do in this game? I mean, interesting and not repetitive.

I have gone through the entire base building mission, I found and repaired a cool new ship, managed to get a hold on a freighter, did several missions for those folks inside the anomaly, did some missions in order to find a weird ET who wants to meet me and travelled to several sectors.

Every single station looks and feels the same. After building my base and acquiring the teleporter, planet vehicles and hidroponics, it looks like I have exhausted the gameplay loop. It is all more of the same and extremely grindy.

My options are: do the weird spiritual philosofical main missions (meh!), keep building stuff with no particular reason, send the frigates on idiotic, flavorless missions or keep exploring in order to find the same planets with the same patterns, in the same systems with the same stations, with the same layouts….

What am I missing here? I am genuinely curious.

What is there to do in this game? I mean, interesting and not repetitive.

I have gone through the entire base building mission, I found and repaired a cool new ship, managed to get a hold on a freighter, did several missions for those folks inside the anomaly, did some missions in order to find a weird ET who wants to meet me and travelled to several sectors.

Every single station looks and feels the same. After building my base and acquiring the teleporter, planet vehicles and hidroponics, it looks like I have exhausted the gameplay loop. It is all more of the same and extremely grindy.

My options are: do the weird spiritual philosofical main missions (meh!), keep building stuff with no particular reason, send the frigates on idiotic, flavorless missions or keep exploring in order to find the same planets with the same patterns, in the same systems with the same stations, with the same layouts….

What am I missing here? I am genuinely curious.

You're not missing anything, it does become repetitive after awhile.

Thing is, it's a pretty interesting game (imo) until that point, and it takes quite a while to get to that point. Since you've acquired a freighter, I'm guessing you've played for at least 50+ hours, no? Would you say you got your money's worth?

You're not missing anything, it does become repetitive after awhile.

Thing is, it's a pretty interesting game (imo) until that point, and it takes quite a while to get to that point. Since you've acquired a freighter, I'm guessing you've played for at least 50+ hours, no? Would you say you got your money's worth?

I stopped at 37 hours (not in small part due to the incessant grind in order to achieve anything) on a hardcore file. I would definitely say I got my money's worth, but I left it with a bitter taste in my mouth, because I kept hoping it would be something more, something not so shallow.

For example, when I heard about freighters and frigates, I thought I would be able to trade resources a la the X series. I also hoped the economy would be more realistic and my actions, more meaningful. Alas, that's not the case. Even space combat was not enjoyable for me and I just kept running away from pirates.

The pitch was that this was going to be this marvelous space adventure. Years after the disastrous launch, I picked it up at a discount after seeing that the updates made it pretty close to the initial pitch. I was not eactly disappointed, but I wondered how much more could be done with that framework. It could really rise to greatness, but instead turned out to be mediocre, in my opinion.

I agree that it's an interesting game up to a certain point, though. But it was only interesting to me because I kept wondering what would be like in a distant system, only to be greeted with reskins of the old planets and a carbon copy of the other stations, and that did it for me.

You were able to purchase a freighter within 37 hours? :thinking:

That's pretty fast. Maybe I was taking a little too much time exploring, but I stopped playing (for now) at 49 hours, and I'm not even close enough to having enough funds for a freighter.

I agree about the space stations though. While they're not all exctly the same, there's not nearly as much variety as there should be. Same with the outposts on the planets.

You were able to purchase a freighter within 37 hours? :thinking:

That's pretty fast. Maybe I was taking a little too much time exploring, but I stopped playing (for now) at 49 hours, and I'm not even close enough to having enough funds for a freighter.

I agree about the space stations though. While they're not all exctly the same, there's not nearly as much variety as there should be. Same with the outposts on the planets.

You can get a free capital ship in less then 2 hours if you get the right quest. ...

Back
Top Bottom