Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker Question/Tips & Tricks Thread

Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Anyone know where I can get some better cold iron weapons? I'm trying to tackle the Crag Linnorm and I'm getting owned. I only have one cold iron weapon, a dagger +1. Other than that I'm buffing my party like crazy (protection from fire etc.) and trying to distract the Linnorm with summons. Got him(?) down to about half health but then he seems to kick into high gear.

Is there any way to reduce it's super high natural armour?

Anyone know where I can get some better cold iron weapons? I'm trying to tackle the Crag Linnorm and I'm getting owned. I only have one cold iron weapon, a dagger +1. Other than that I'm buffing my party like crazy (protection from fire etc.) and trying to distract the Linnorm with summons. Got him(?) down to about half health but then he seems to kick into high gear.

Is there any way to reduce it's super high natural armour?

What level is your party? I don't think you find cold iron weapon better than +1, just use best weapons you have, and when the linnorm is down to 0 health (down, but still alive), switch weapon to cold iron for one of your characters and finish it off.

You might have to come back later if you're not strong enough yet to deal with the Linnorm. Verdel at the capital sells some cold iron +1 stuff, but it's only necessary as purpleblob said, when the creature is down, you finish it off with the cold iron weapon.

I made quick work of it after I got Nok-Nok and used Inspire Ferocity with Amiri, which makes the whole party Rage. Believe it or not I killed the thing in about 3 seconds, lol. But I was higher level so you might want to come back a bit later. If you want to explore the cave maybe you can drink an Invisibility potion and avoid the Linnorm for now...

What level is your party? I don't think you find cold iron weapon better than +1, just use best weapons you have, and when the linnorm is down to 0 health (down, but still alive), switch weapon to cold iron for one of your characters and finish it off.

We are at level 8 currently. Too low?

I'd say so. I forgot what level the linnorm is but you should be able to find out by using inspect (eye icon in the bottom LHS) if you pass the relevant skill check - should be higher than level 10.

Edit: I googled it, the linnorm is level 16.

Last edited:

Depends on your party composition. Jubilost can kill the crag by himself (since bombs hit touch ac), but you also need someone to take the attention of him, otherwise he can get one-hit killed. You could try with summon spam, that's what I did.

The cold weapon you only need once it's down and regenerating, but some spells (vine trap, disintegrate) and stat drain with poison also work.

The game breaking bug I experienced was fixed, so I could complete the game a second time. Got the secret ending now, which was pretty cool. The end fight still has a few bugs in it, but at least it was doable now without lowering the difficulty.

I'm almost tempted to start a 3rd character, as I found the new class really cool, but the game is simply too big for that.

The game breaking bug I experienced was fixed, so I could complete the game a second time. Got the secret ending now, which was pretty cool. The end fight still has a few bugs in it, but at least it was doable now without lowering the difficulty.

I'm almost tempted to start a 3rd character, as I found the new class really cool, but the game is simply too big for that.

Ooh, do tell what happened :D in spoiler tag.

I'm still trying to get my head around Kineticist. Any tip on how to build this class?

All I got was, every time they use special ability they get burn, so it's good to have decent amount of constitution (I think?)

@Lemonhead; I managed to kill Crag Linnorm with my level 8 party but it took several tries. I think having Linzi (bard song buff) and Jubilost (those bombs!) really helps, as long as you can keep Valerie (tank) alive.

Ooh, do tell what happened :D in spoiler tag.
Nyrissa and my character lived happily ever after. Pretty much. She also helped rebuild the kingdom and become loved by the people.

What's a bit more interesting is what lead to it: The key is to truly break the curse, which can only be done via five steps:
1) She must fall in love.
2) Give her the briar.
3) Research the curses.
4) Get information from Armag, Tartuk and Vordakai (two out of three) about their curse, so you can use that information when talking to Nyrissa to convince her that it's possible to break hers.
5) During the final chapter, a special area will open up via the teleporters (when you're liberating various sections). Go to that area and do some quests for the Elders there.

When facing the final boss, Nyrissa will now help out, which makes the fight considerably easier, and when it's over you can tell her to "do what you've planned" or some such thing, at which point she will effectively throw the curse right back at the Lantern King. At that point, everyone is freed from his grasp, and even the defaced sister that survived etc will eventually regain their previous form.
I'm still trying to get my head around Kineticist. Any tip on how to build this class?
Did you ever play Warlock in D&D 3.5? It's a bit similar in that it uses blasts and incantations instead of regular spells. The blasts never run out, and start out as basic blasts that do not cause any kind of burns. However, they can be upgraded via feats that can be toggled on and off, and cause X amount of burn depending on the power of the upgrade.

However, you can also use something called "harness power" (gained a bit later on) in lesser, medium or greater form (if you are unarmed), which negates 1, 2 or 3 burns per cast, but it takes a while to charge blasts using it. However, it does mean that you can cast one blast per round that is empowered and uber charged for 0 burns, and it will deal 150-200 damage a pop.

They can also use blasts to create a weapon based on the blast. So a frost blast will create a frost weapon, which can use either strength or dexterity (with weapon finesse) as its hit chance.

All damage, including such weapons, is based on constitution, unless you're using an archtype that uses either intellect (dark elementalist) or wisdom (psycho-something).

Personally, I prefer a plain Kineticist or Kinetic Knight (tank), as they can both pump Dexterity and Constitution to incredible levels. Dexterity is used for the blasts (ranged touch attack) and weapons (weapon finesse) and the Constitution determines the damage. The combination of Dexterity and Constitution, in addition to certain unique defensive feats they get (based on elemental focus), makes them surprisingly tanky.

Their "spells", beyond the blasts, are gained from their elemental focus. Water, for example, gets a very strong heal. However, all such spells require at least 1 burn point, even with harness power enabled, so they can only be used a limited amount of times.

They have two major drawbacks:
- Their skill selection is somewhat lacking. Don't expect them to contribute much in that regard.
- They generally only get one attack off per round, which deals Finger of Death levels of damage, but if it misses or the enemy is immune, they do no damage at all.

@Maylander;

That is so cool, damn, I will have to try to unlock the secret ending myself this time :D

Latern king is such an ass, it will be extremely satisfying to see him suffering from his own curse :D

Not sure if I can unlock the ending though, already failed the persuasion check with Tartuk earlier :(

I didn't play warlock much, I only did when Ammon Jerro joins the party in NWN2. Thanks for the explanation, maybe I will play around with my tiefling companion more now :)

@Maylander;

That is so cool, damn, I will have to try to unlock the secret ending myself this time :D

Latern king is such an ass, it will be extremely satisfying to see him suffering from his own curse :D

Not sure if I can unlock the ending though, already failed the persuasion check with Tartuk earlier :(
You can.
You need to learn about their curse from either Tartuk or Armag. Both are not required. You absolutely need Vordekai, though.

You can.
You need to learn about their curse from either Tartuk or Armag. Both are not required. You absolutely need Vordekai, though.

Yeah but

Don't you have to discover Armag's tomb early? Like, find it before you finish the kingdom project that raises chance to discover the tomb? Which means, it's more difficult to achieve.

Yeah but

Don't you have to discover Armag's tomb early? Like, find it before you finish the kingdom project that raises chance to discover the tomb? Which means, it's more difficult to achieve.

You can increase your chances
at the East Sellen river crossing during the book adventure with the old man. From what I recall, you don't need to actually suceed at the skill check, you just need to hold out until the end. The character won't drown.

In retrospect, I think giving your designated "skill checkers" the corresponding skill focus feats pays off. I gave one of the persuasion feats to Linzi and the boost was really helpful, especially since you gain so much xp from passing checks.

It's actually pretty easy to find once you know where it is based in previous playthroughs. Just run around the "box" with high perception. I found it this time around without any hassle at all.

Two new portraits released with the most recent hot fix - me no likey lol. I'm going to stick with custom portraits I found on other websites.

They also included extra hair style for most of classes - bit disappointed. Just one! I need more different hair style :p

Patch note here:

New content
Two new portraits based on player poll results have been added - an Aasimar Paladin and a Human Sorcerer.
A new pack of custom hairstyles and beards for different races have been added.

Quests
Players could keep more companions than expected in the final quest of the Wildcards DLC (the "Sorrowflow" area). Resolution: fixed.
Ekundayo was too close to enemies during the ritual (the "Bury the Past" quest), resulting in issues with quest completion. Resolution: fixed.
The "Against All Odds" quest didn't count as completed even when it was. Resolution: fixed.

Areas
Lantern King's curse was incorrectly assuming all characters had only 4 spell levels available, severely penalizing full spellcasters. Resolution: fixed, now the curse limits spellcasting as intended.
Some pages could be missing in the Epilogue. Resolution: fixed.

Kingdom
How to Build a Kingdom quest could get stuck on the "Found a new village" objective in some cases. Resolution: fixed.
The conversation in the Throne Room that raises the Arcane stat to rank X wouldn't trigger if you had the Storyteller as your magister. Resolution: fixed.
Sometimes kingdom visitors would get stuck because the game wrongfully assumed the baron is having a romantic encounter (often because a shortcut mod had been used). Resolution: exiting the kingdom interface now returns you to the personal chambers in this case, so the romantic encounter can be finally resolved.

User Interfaces
In some cases, both Kalikke and Kanerah were available to add to the party roster even when only one of them should have been available. Resolution: fixed.
Conversely, sometimes both Kalikke and Kanerah could disappear from the party roster. Resolution: fixed as well.
There were issues controlling the Kinetic Knight archetype during combat. Resolution: fixed.

Classes & Mechanics
Barbarian spirits summoned by the Warpainted Skull of Duthica had the wrong faction, which might have lead to them attacking some NPCs. Resolution: fixed.

Misc
Fixed a misplaced parenthesis that turned all left-handed characters back into right-handed ones. Also, fixed sword scabbards having wrong offsets for left-handed characters.
When loading a game with a polymorphed character and polymorphing back, the character's model wouldn't actually change until an area transition. Resolution: fixed.

System
Fixed a crash-to-menu that could sometimes happen when entering an area from the Global Map while having an active animal companion.
Some item enchantment parameters (i.e., the DC of saving throws against the item's abilities) would not get saved when saving the game, leading to incorrect values after loading (it still could be fixed by re-equipping the item). Resolution: fixed, all item parameters are now saved.

1.2 beta is live! Just check out Steam for the details. I installed because it's really no different than a really big hotfix rolling out. I suggest you guys check it out. :thumbsup:

Two new portraits released with the most recent hot fix - me no likey lol. I'm going to stick with custom portraits I found on other websites.
Yeah, what's with the portraits? The official ones that come with the game are pretty decent, but there are so few of them. They only really fit a handful of very specific characters.

Back
Top Bottom