RPGWatch Feature - Iratus: Lord of the Dead Review

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Forgottenlor checks out if playing the evil side in a dungeon crawler is something to enjoy in this review of Iratus: Lord of the Dead.

Iratus: Lord of the Dead is a reversed dungeon crawler. Instead of playing a group of heroes who travel through a dungeon to face some ancient evil, you play Iratus, who is a necromancer that has been unintentionally freed from his tomb by foolish grave robbers. The necromancer sends his minions to conquer a series of catacombs in order to make it to the surface, where he can realize his dream of extinguishing all life. As a traditional villain, Iratus leaves most of the dirty work to his minions, whom he supports from a safe distance with his magic. The necromancer must also manage a number of resources, so he can replace dead minions, bolster existing ones, and increase his own powers. Anyone who has played or seen Darkest Dungeon will see its influence on Iratus: Lord of the Dead. Iratus must escape his confinement and defeat all the mortal enemies who face him. Each battle is potentially dangerous, and minions are only to a certain degree expendable. Battles are from the side view, and undead minions have different powers which can be executed dependent on where they stand in the battle formation. The game also has some rogue-light qualities, such as having only one save and a somewhat random dungeon floor layout. But Iratus: Lord of the Dead is in many ways its own game, for better or worse.
More information.

Thank you for another great review, Forgottenlor! This one is on my wishlist :)

I'd like to ask you if you have the Iratus Supporter Pack DLC and if you used the minion that comes in it (The Infested). If so, is it worth to buy it?

Last edited:
I'd play this game just for the voice acting by Stephan 'fucking' Weyte

My main issue with the game when I first bought it was how incredibly easy and trivial it was. All of the challenging difficulty levels were locked out when you started and you had to win the entire game before you could try a harder mode where the enemies might actually put up a fight. This might have been ok if the game was short, but it's not, you'd have to slog through hours of hours of trivial fights before unlocking the ability to reset the game and play it a higher difficulty level where (maybe) it would be harder. It was a horrible decision for any game like that, but especially weird for a game that claimed to be a a hard game that you should expect to lose. Did they ever fix that?

Thank you for another great review, Forgottenlor! This one is on my wishlist :)

I'd like to ask you if you have the Iratus Supporter Pack DLC and if you used the minion that comes in it (The Infested). If so, is it worth to buy it?

I don't have the DLC and can't imagine how the price could be worth it. You get a minion, some extra skins and the soundtrack. I don't care about sound tracks or extra skins, and about 25% of the asking price seems worth it for an additional minion. So I'd only by it if the soundtrack would be something I'd make use of.

My main issue with the game when I first bought it was how incredibly easy and trivial it was. All of the challenging difficulty levels were locked out when you started and you had to win the entire game before you could try a harder mode where the enemies might actually put up a fight. This might have been ok if the game was short, but it's not, you'd have to slog through hours of hours of trivial fights before unlocking the ability to reset the game and play it a higher difficulty level where (maybe) it would be harder. It was a horrible decision for any game like that, but especially weird for a game that claimed to be a a hard game that you should expect to lose. Did they ever fix that?

The first 2 difficulties easy and normal (cakewalk and more pain) can be played from the get go, though you aren't given the choice to switch to more pain until you have played through about an hour (the tutorial). I also did not find the battles all that difficult for the most part, and finished the game without losing too many minions. Though I did just scrape through a couple of battles in the 3rd and 5th dungeon levels. It certainly didn't seem as difficult as Darkest Dungeons, which took me about 15 hours to figure out how to play "right." So if you are looking for punishing difficulty, this probably isn't the best game.

The first 2 difficulties easy and normal (cakewalk and more pain) can be played from the get go, though you aren't given the choice to switch to more pain until you have played through about an hour (the tutorial). I also did not find the battles all that difficult for the most part, and finished the game without losing too many minions. Though I did just scrape through a couple of battles in the 3rd and 5th dungeon levels. It certainly didn't seem as difficult as Darkest Dungeons, which took me about 15 hours to figure out how to play "right." So if you are looking for punishing difficulty, this probably isn't the best game.

Yeah that's the same as it was when I played when it first came out.

I don't necessarily need punishing difficulty, but I wanted to feel like there was some challenge. The game was definitely promoting itself as being a harder game like Darkest Dungeon, so it was so strange that they would make it so easy and lock away the harder levels.

Yeah that's the same as it was when I played when it first came out.

I don't necessarily need punishing difficulty, but I wanted to feel like there was some challenge. The game was definitely promoting itself as being a harder game like Darkest Dungeon, so it was so strange that they would make it so easy and lock away the harder levels.
I felt the same when playing it.

Loved the atmosphere and the narrator - and that look which somehow reminded me of hidden object games.
But the difficulty was way too easy, I even found it easy on the harder one - though I think I did lose once or twice with that...

Well late to the party but I'm very disappointed with this game, but that was my own fault. I was expecting an Overlord type game, and instead it was similar to Darkest Dungeon.

Last edited:
I happened to like both Darkest Dungeon and this game. :D

Need to get back and play it sometime; I am just buried under good games at the moment. I keep finding more things I need to go back and play, like "Low Magic Age" just for the tabletop ruleset, and... ugh. Lots of content right now, lots of games in backlog. Not to mention two EA titles that are fantastic, and Steam keeps putting interesting things on sale that I just grab and forget about.

I liked the overall tone of the game and had fun with it from what I played of it. Good "Halloween Week" game.

Weirdest thing happened: I have to agree with one item from the Cons list.
I like most things about this game, but it needs a 1080p monitor to see the tooltips conveniently. So I began playing, everything looked good, but strangely I failed to find satisfaction in combat. Battle was especially I was looking forward to. Yet some element in this game prevents me feeling really satisfied and content that I beat an enemy. Dunno why.
I was wishing there were a fantasy game playing out on a real isometric battlefield, like Blackguards I-II or Fallout, where combatants shout and scream and beat the SHT out of each other with much gore spluttering around. That game is Urtuk. But it isn't finished yet, so I deliberately don't play it yet: I helped its developer with R&D-ing a graphics element and with game mechanics.

So I was thinking maybe I should check out those flat cartoon games - having a real isometric battlescape - I complained about being so flat its straining to the eye. Maybe those will prove satisfying? :-o :( I wish there would be a modern Champions of Krynn-style game, finished, feature complete, ready to play.

Last edited:
Champions of Krynn did a lot of things right, I'm surprised to this day that someone else simply didn't hijack that style. Or if someone actually did, I missed it somehow. Man, I do miss that series!!

Back
Top Bottom