General News - Chris Avellone Interview

I don't know if you noticed but PoE2 is not being marketed and produced by Paradox. That should tell you all about it…

It's Obsidian who pick their publisher for POE, not the other way around. That tells me Versus Evil offered a better deal to Obsidian and nothing else.

when-i-see-drama-lm-not-involved-in-corn-14942839.png

It's Obsidian who pick their publisher for POE, not the other way around. That tells me Versus Evil offered a better deal to Obsidian and nothing else.
Loool
Sure buddy, sure.

This has to piss off some people @ Obsidian…

Kem0sabe said: Chris Avellone Do you mind sharing your outlook on how well do you think Deadfire will turn out? Taking into consideration your knowledge of the team working on it and what you think they learned from how PoE ended up.

Chris Avellone: I have no idea, but based on Obsidian's track record, I wouldn't buy any game from them until the first expansion/DLC came out.

Not trying to be a dick, but it's true - they don't have a great track record of launching a title. I prefer to give it a few months (which also lets me hear how good the story is).

This has to piss off some people @ Obsidian…

Truth hurts. It'll hurt even more if Eternity 2 confirms what's said there.
Sue Chris or continue with buggy releases? Dunno, Obsidian's choice.

EDIT:
Sorry for intrusion, forgot this is codex spinoff thread. I'm outta here.

Not sure if related but there also was a bit of a fallout between them after Tryanny.
Yep it didn't sell a million copies, and have constant DLC miking.:lol:

I may have heated moments but that's exactly how I feel about most comments lately.:biggrin:

I imagined Chris Avellone doing that dance in between posting on the Codex.

I imagined Chris Avellone doing that dance in between posting on the Codex.
I know but fits my mood lately.:lol:

Need to re-watch that movie as its been a while.

Last night I dreamed a co-worker was about to tell me I was about to get fired at my old job.

We all get bitter about our jobs, and realize at some point we are only working because have family and debt and decent health care. The fact is, he was an owner and actually had some say in it and realized it was a lot harder than to be an owner than a grunt - and he has too big of an ego to admit his own mistakes/problems.

Its always better not to burn your bridges. Get over it. Move on. Your company is not a private bank and they are not obligated to pay you anything more than you signed for.

As for COBRA - the things a joke. Its better to go on Obama Care and that's terrible.

When he was talking about his health care, I am sure he's talking about decent health care. As for his 401k - meh, he was probably being greedy and demanding they pay into it more than they said they would.

Why do you say it is a joke. It is the exact same plan you had at time of separation at the same price the company (+ your portion).

Is it the cost that bother you or is it that your health plan was a joke. The only negative (imho) of cobra is that it only last 18 months.

As for COBRA - the things a joke. Its better to go on Obama Care and that's terrible.

So some new juicy info from Chris:
Chris Avellone said:
Infinitron said:
Waaaaaaaaait a minute. "Sudden" cancellation? Why it would be sudden if you'd planned on resigning?

Chris, were you fired from Obsidian?
(I realized I didn’t answer this.)

No – after raising some questions about company finances and other issues, Feargus de-ownered me (which I didn’t have a choice in) and then told, “but don’t worry, we’ll still allow you to work on Tyranny for us,” and my response was, “that’s okay, you can work on it by yourself.”

Before this seems unusual, de-ownering was actually a common threat tossed around, so it wasn’t specific to me – if any owner raised objections to events going on, the response was often, “you don’t sound like you want to be an owner anymore” and never addressed the actual issues being brought up.

Not surprisingly, this shift in being de-ownered coincided with taking place shortly before the first royalty payments from Eternity came in, which meant that the surviving owners got a much larger share with me de-ownered (I don’t mind that, as I didn’t want royalty payments from Eternity, but I don’t think the other owners deserved royalties, either, except maybe a set amount for Darren for the Backer portal work he put in – the team deserved all of it). It was a good business decision, but not good ethics.

Presumably "de-ownered" means that the shareholder agreement allowed the majority holders to force a buyout of the minor holder. I'm no expert on these shenanigans, but I'd have thought there could be some recourse if this were seen to be done to monopolise dividends. Might be easier to shaft people in the States.

Ah Reddit how I love thee.

Link - https://www.reddit.com/r/projectete...rview_chris_avellone_on_pillars_cut/?sort=new

And of course this speaks the truth.
It's probably more accurate to say that some people from that site have a vendetta/agenda against Obsidian and probably wanted to maximise damage against the company with the timing of this. More broadly, I wouldn't characterise it as hatred either - it's toxicity and entitlement which to me is much worse.
"Them" was clearly meaning RPGcodex. And no, I don't have nothing but pure respect for MCA. He is a great writer and one of the last few good guys out there. But he didn't sign the NDA, which was, it suggests, in his ability, so why didnt he go public with it before? He lurks at the codex, so he knows how they feel about Obsidian. It's just petty and has nothing to do with being truthful, dropping this years after it happened and right before a release. I'd rather talk about how capitalist business culture destroys creative and collaboratibe work. But then it's a general discussion and not about evil Obsidian.
fXECiaM.jpg

index.php

Last edited:
Ah Reddit how I love thee.

Link - https://www.reddit.com/r/projectete...rview_chris_avellone_on_pillars_cut/?sort=new

And of course this speaks the truth.

"Them" was clearly meaning RPGcodex. And no, I don't have nothing but pure respect for MCA. He is a great writer and one of the last few good guys out there. But he didn't sign the NDA, which was, it suggests, in his ability, so why didnt he go public with it before? He lurks at the codex, so he knows how they feel about Obsidian. It's just petty and has nothing to do with being truthful, dropping this years after it happened and right before a release. I'd rather talk about how capitalist business culture destroys creative and collaboratibe work. But then it's a general discussion and not about evil Obsidian.

That old song already asked: "Why, MCA?"

Maximum points.

Back
Top Bottom