Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Announced

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Age of Wonders: Planetfall has been announced with a new trailer.

Age of Wonders: Planetfall is the new strategy game from Triumph Studios, creators of the critically acclaimed Age of Wonders series, bringing all the exciting strategic turn-based combat and in-depth empire building of its predecessors to space in an all-new sci-fi setting. Emerge from the cosmic dark age of a fallen galactic empire to craft a new future for your people. Explore the planetary ruins and encounter other surviving factions that have each evolved in their own way, as you unravel the history of a shattered civilization. Fight, build, negotiate and technologically advance your way to utopia, in a deep single player campaign, on random maps and against friends in multiplayer. Make sure you sign up to not miss any news at http://www.aow-planetfall.com
More information.

I was correct when I said another Age of Wonders, and it's a Sc-fi setting this time.:excited:

While the AOW series is more strategy than RPG, I am really looking forward to this. I like AOW 3 much more than the later HOMM titles. The mix of Heroes of Might and Magic style gameplay with battle tactics similar to the Total War series (flanking, etc) really appealed to me.

If they can pull this off, it might end up being a Civ Beyond Earth worth playing.

I still have AoW III in the back-log, but I'm pretty sure I will enjoy it immensely. The add-ons also seems to add significant depth.

Looking forward to the scifi setting, but hope this will not be just a reskin and instead add some new mechanics.

While I really like all the AoWs, I am actually a bit disappointed with this (even though I'll probably play it). The fact is that there have been so many sci-fi based 4x/strategy games in the last fews years that I'm just tired of the setting (Endless Space 1/2, GalCiv 3, MoO reboot, Stellaris, Beyond Earth... and that's just scratching the surface of the larger IPs).

I was hoping we'd see something new in a different fantasy setting or perhaps steampunk, alternate history, something other than another game set in space.

Regardless, the other thing I hope is this game has a deeper tech/city building side to it than AoW3. The combat in AoW3 was excellent and levelling units was pretty great too... but the empire-building side was a little light. Would love to see a proper, deep tech tree and building/improvements to synergize with that - and not just a reskin of the same AoW mechanics.

Looking great so far but will need some 50+ hours of play time before we can know if it's actually good or not.

Well those graphics are certainly interesting - esp compare to aow3 which was boring. As to gameplay - well i guess we will have to wait a while to see how it works out :)

This is not AoW, even if they call it AoW... it might be a good game, but I am very disappointed.

This is not AoW, even if they call it AoW… it might be a good game, but I am very disappointed.
Well they are probably tired of working on the fantasy setting so I can't blame them. It's the same with Piranha Bytes who is tired of making Gothic games.
I still have AoW III in the back-log, but I'm pretty sure I will enjoy it immensely. The add-ons also seems to add significant depth.
The expansions did add more content but to me it felt like cut content. If you compare the older games they already had undead, dark elves, and halflings.

Last edited:
Science fiction is to strategy what post-apocalyptic is to RPGs, namely a very safe and well established setting. I thought AOW 3 was an excellent game, so I may pick this up eventually. Like others I would have prefered another setting, but theoretically you can to anything wierd and wacky you like in Sci-Fi.

Hopefully someday a zombie Apocalypse or Fallout inspired strategy game like this will be developed. I know those settings are overused but not these type of games.

I have also never played a good Zombie RPG since Dead State. My preferred choice would be something like Fallout 4, but with a more RPG focus, and better base building.

Just some random ramblings as I'm on pain meds right now. So move on everyone.

Hopefully someday a zombie Apocalypse or Fallout inspired strategy game like this will be developed. I know those settings are overused but not these type of games.

I have also never played a good Zombie RPG since Dead State. My preferred choice would be something like Fallout 4, but with a more RPG focus, and better base building.

Just some random ramblings as I'm on pain meds right now. So move on everyone.

Personally I didn't like Dead State as it was buggy as hell and the game mechanics which did work made no sense.

That said, you might want to take a look at Sheltered. Has some similarities, though it's not a "real" RPG and it's only about survival, and not about Zombie Apocalypse.

The expansions did add more content but to me it felt like cut content. If you compare the older games they already had undead, dark elves, and halflings.

I got all the expansions in a sale and iirc they add some more depth to the economic side apart from new races. Although, I have not played it yet…

I'm totally with SSIGuy here. I'm a sucker for sci fi, but I'd rather have seen a fantasy AoW4 with proper city building, the one area of AoW3 that was truly lacking.

Hopefully they replace magic with space magic (psionics). It will not be the same game without it.

I'm totally with SSIGuy here. I'm a sucker for sci fi, but I'd rather have seen a fantasy AoW4 with proper city building, the one area of AoW3 that was truly lacking.
Hmm I played every AOW game and city building has been the same. So unless I missed something the major focus has always been on combat, and branching story-lines.

Now if they added something like the latest Civilization the game would be even better.
I got all the expansions in a sale and iirc they add some more depth to the economic side apart from new races. Although, I have not played it yet…
They do add other additions but the lack of races was noticeable. At least the whole collection can be bought cheaply nowadays as you always find it on sale, or in a bundle.

I enjoyed AoW3 but the AI seemed off also. I can't remember which 2 difficulty settings it was but the one I played was too easy and the next one up just thru so many units at your cities and bases that you had to turtle in.

I agree that the city building was lacking big time. Some of the best battles in a strategy game and lvling up heroes and units was top notch. Enjoyed making leaders and picking skills.

Back
Top Bottom