Votes: 29 65.9%
  • Deus Ex: Invisible War

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Votes: 13 29.5%

• Total voters

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Well are you all ready for the next weekly poll as it's a simple one this time. Alright to get started this weeks poll is all about, "Which Deus Ex Is your Favorite?"

Mine would be the latest game Deus Ex: Human Revolution.:)

HR > DX >>> IW :)

I've given my reasons countless times before.

HR and DX are both masterpieces and 9/10 games to me - and IW is 6/10 at best. The reason I prefer HR, is simply that it's a more modern take that improves upon the original in most ways, at least from my point of view. There are a few things I think the original does better, like a more balanced upgrade system and better energy managment.

But back upon release, DX was a revelation - even if I remember thinking they borrowed a BIT freely from System Shock 1/2 :)

I like to credit things when they truly innovate, and I think a lot of DX came from SS - which just proves how solid that game was.

Well, I only played the first one so far... and I did not manage to finish it yet.... but I guess I'll still vote for it, I have a hard time believing the others will be better :D

This is a though call. Both DX and HR are in my top 10 but I guess I'll have to go with DX, if only for nostalgic reasons.

It is kinda odd that I never played IW. Must have been the negative reviews that scared me off.

But back upon release, DX was a revelation - even if I remember thinking they borrowed a BIT freely from System Shock 1/2 :)

I felt the same way. I had a hard time believing that this wasn't a Looking Glass Studios game at the time :)

HR > DX >>> IW :)

I get what you are saying, but I give more credit to the original for both impact and originality.

DX > HR >>>>>> IW

IW *at release* as a PC game failed to deliver on the basic promise made to PC gamers, and I penalize it *heavily* for that. Playing now it is just more 'average', but when it came out if was a compromised, console-centric, poorly performing piece of mediocrity with closet-sized zones.

I get what you are saying, but I give more credit to the original for both impact and originality.

I'd agree the original had more of an impact - but since I like playing HR more, I can't say the original is my favorite.

I suppose in terms of which game was best considering time of release, I'd probably have to agree that DX is better.

That said, we can't forget what kind of industry environment HR was released in, and it's one of the very few modern AAA games that challenge mainstream perceptions and the "suit" concept of appealing to the masses.

Where games like Bioshock seriously compromised the Shock formula to appeal wider, HR mostly stuck with the original concept - barring the suit-ordered boss fights.

But, hey, at least they're fixed in the extremely cheap DC edition :)

That said, we can't forget what kind of industry environment HR was released in, and it's one of the very few modern AAA games that challenge mainstream perceptions and the "suit" concept of appealing to the masses.

Where games like Bioshock seriously compromised the Shock formula to appeal wider, HR mostly stuck with the original concept - barring the suit-ordered boss fights

Very good point, which is why it is one of the games that really stands out in recent years.

I really enjoyed HR but it took at least 5-10 hours for me to get into it. I just started the 1st one and so far it hasn't grabbed me yet but I'm hopping it follows the same pattern as HR so I'm gonna stick with it for a bit.

haven't played any, first person shooters and RPG just don't mix well for me.

I'll go with DX.

DX:HR did a couple of things better and other much worst, but DX had more memorable mission maps and characters.

Anyhow, it's in my replay queue (Director's Cut, bought it along the Square Enix Humble Bundle that is up right now) maybe I'll change my mind after a replay. I did replay DX quite a few times.

I took the third option.

I adored the first DX, kinda had crush on X files kinky aliens there, but the game got annoying (too long) towards the end.
Second DX while everyone says this and that, was fun, not as the first one, but I never thought of it as a rubbish.

But it was the third game that gave me exactly what I wanted. I could hack if I wanted. I could sneak if I wanted. I could play Doom through the level if I wanted. I could play minigames or just skip 'em. I could kill everything or just stun (okay, not bosses). I could save the pilot or just flee and let her die. Stuff like that.
I could do anything. And isn't that exactly what roleplay is supposed to be about?

Didn't buy director's cut, but someone in another thread said it's worth a replay so I'll do it.

I can't say, as I only played the first one.

Of those that have played HR, do you recommend the Director's Cut? I've seen mixed reports, with some saying it introduced more problems than it fixed.

I played the normal one, not the Directors but If I were to buy it now I would go ahead and get the Directors. Its in the Humble Bundle right now also.

While I expected the first game to be the clear winner - I didn't really expect IW to get any votes :)

Just another example of how people like different things for different reasons - and there's no arguing against that being fully legit.

The original game for me, certainly. Human Revolution didn't really appeal to me choices wise until towards the very end and felt more action heavy, whereas I felt the dilemma's, general narrative, soundtrack and overall aesthetic style of the first game more appealing. Still, I had my fun with both games.

I've yet to really play Invisible War extensively enough to see if its reputation is as deserved as people say. Nor have I played the Directors Cut of DX:HR.

The first one - overall a tighter experience with better level design and character development and more impressive for its time to boot.
Human Revolution, while a worthy successor, was really good up until leaving the second hub, but then it quickly fell into the run-of-the-mill territory and just kept on going, resulting in yet another game too long for its own good. They should´ve put more work into the two hubs and end it shortly after that. One aspect it definitely has over the original is the dialogue system which I thought was a great innovation.
Haven´t played the DC though (nor IW, for that matter).

DX on sale at GOG now.

I never finished any of them, but I enjoyed DX enough to buy the newer version. I feel the newer version does a lot of things very well and just feels like an improved version of the original.

I voted for HR for that alone.

I never asked for this…poll.
As a side not, it comes surprising Eidos didn't announce remastered version of the first.

Back
Top Bottom